Has anybody noticed?

Guest lesmes

that egg thingy ma jiggy whatsit.. the date was decided in 664 at the diet of Whitby in case anyone cares (no that's not winkles and fish and chips by the pier whilst dressed in black and wearing very odd make up)

There is a Mithraic temple in someone's back garden just south of the west road afore you cross the A1. 

I have a cunning plan to upset everyone (apart from the retailers) -- adopt both the Julian and Gregorian calendars and that way you can have double the misery of easter and xmas.

referring to earlier posts -to clarify certain physiological qualities of the serpentae and their herpetological ilk -- they do NOT have 'arses' 

Edited by pilgrim
just remembered
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

thing-a ma-jiggy-me-bob retail event 

That's the best name I've heard so far. Perhaps we should rename all high days and holidays as 'thing-a-ma-jiggy-me-bob retail event'.

'Happy Thing-a-ma-jiggy-me-bob retail event' has a certain something about it that is nearer to reality than Happy Easter or Merry Xmas - and it's so universal. Could be used anywhere.

On 2018-03-27 at 12:34, moe19 said:

If ye find that intarestin hinny ya even more of a borein wazzack than a thought ya wore :lol::lol:

Translation for our non-geordie members. Sorry it's a bit late. "Wazzack"(sic.) wasn't an easy one:

'If you find that interesting, honey, you are even more of a boring bulls penis* than I thought you were'.

*The word "wazzack" (sic), taken in the above context to be 'wazzock,' is originally thought to be the name for a bull's penis. However, it has several other meanings:

1. a daft person

2. one who has made an arse of themselves

3. idiot (used i na fun way and with a degree of affection)

I've chosen the orighinal meaning, for several reasons:

I haven't seen Pilgrim make an arse of himself thereby discounting 3. I did consider 'idiot' for a while - It  denotes a degree of affection (and remember, he was referred to as 'Honey' in the same sentence) but I discarded the notion. I can't agree with 1 either as, on a scale of daft, there are others who are much better achievers. So. by this scientific process of elimination I am left with Bull's penis. I'm sure I will be corrected should it be incorrect. Pilgrim?

Edited by Canny lass

WARNING!

May contain boring facts and figures. 

Where were we (life has a nasty habit of getting in the way at times)? Ah yes, the ‘Christian’ tradition of Easter. Now it is upon us once more and approximately 80 million chocolate eggs - with or without the word ‘Easter’ - will have been sold to Britain’s 65.64 million inhabitants (2016). That’s 1.25 eggs per person, whatever their religious belief. To put another way, it’s a massive 61.5 eggs for each and every one of the 1,233,000 persons attending an Easter  Church service in one of the Church of England’s (C ofE) 16 000 churches the same year. www.churchofengland.org. However, Christianity in the UK is not the sole domain of the Anglican Church. We must also take into consideration the other major Christian denominations: Catholic, Presbyterian, Orthodox, Pentecostal and Evangelical.

I think the question of whether or not the word Easter has been removed from ALL chocolate eggs has been well and truly put to sleep. Eggs are available both with and without the word Easter emblazoned on their packaging (see previous posts). The question remains, however, as to why the word Easter does not appear on ALL eggs. I have previously posited the theory that the word is not necessary – an Easter egg is egg-shaped, seasonally available and easily identifiable to a reasonably well educated Brit. If further proof is needed then it’s to be found in the humble pace egg (you’re not still calling them ‘paste’ eggs, are you?). We recognize a pace egg for what it is and we do that because of its shape and seasonal availability. In my lifetime, at least, there’s never been any hue and cry about the absence of the word ‘pace’ on a pace egg and that despite the fact that ‘pace’ is just another word for Easter (from the Latin ‘Pacha’, meaning Easter). I think it may be only Britain who’s kept the pagan name (see previous posts).

I hold fast with my previous theory but would now like to introduce a second theory into the debate. ‘Chocolate manufacturers have long since understood the dwindling religious significance of Easter and adapted their product accordingly’.

British society has changed in many ways, not least with regard to religion, and it’s still changing. There’s a plethora of research supporting this change. The UK census started to take up religion in 2001, giving insight into the most recent changes. The British Social Attitudes Surveys (BSAS) 1983-2016 give an even better insight while the publication Church Statistics, with data from 2005-2010 and forecasts up to 2025, is a real eye-opener – for anyone who doesn’t have a closed mind, that is.

So, what does all this research tell us? It tells us the following (If you prefer you can read the original long version at https://faithsurvey.co.uk/uk-christianity

The Church Statistics report tells us that:

·         UK church membership is down from 10.6 million (1930) 5.5 million (2010). That’s equivalent to a reduction from 30% to 11.2% of the population.

·         In England, church membership is forecast to be down to 2.53 million (4.3% of the population) by 2025.

·         2005-2010 saw a move away from the major Christian denominations and all noted a reduction in membership. (Pentecostal and some new churches experienced a rise in membership).

·         Church attendance is down from 11.8% to 5% of the population.

The British Social Attitudes Survey (BSAS) demonstrates that 1983-2014:

·         Anglicism is declining more rapidly than any other denomination. In 2014 only 17% identified as Anglican (a decline of 23% since 1983)

·         The C of E population has almost halved (16.5million to 8.6 million)

·         The Catholic population is  slightly reduced (4.1 million to 4 million)

·         People with no religious affiliation have almost doubled (12.8 million to 24.7 million)

·         Non-Christian religious numbers have increased five-fold (0.8 million to 4 million

·         2014, 52% of Anglican Church members, 26% of Catholic Church members and 40% of other Christian church members NEVER attended church for anything other than weddings, funerals and christenings.

A WIN Gallup poll in 2014 demonstrates that:

·         the UK is one of the  world’s most IRRELIGIOUS countries of the 65 taking part

·         30% of Brits identified as religious

·         13% identified as atheists

·         53% identified as not religious

·         Top of the league was Thailand with 84% identifying as religious and bottom was China with only 7% identifying as religious

The UK census 2001-2011 shows us that:

·         Christians born in Britain fell by 5.3 million (10 000 a week!)

·         Christians born in Britain could, at the present rate, be reduced to zero by 2067

·         The 2011 census show a rise in irreligious persons from 7.7 million (2001) to 14.1 million (2011).

The C of E has done its very own survey which shows us that:

·         The usual Sunday attendance at church services in 2016 was 740 000 people

·         1.2 million people attended an Easter service in 2016

·         Over recent decades church attendance has decreased and continues to decrease

·         2006-2016, Easter service attendances have decreased by 17% and Easter communicants by 19%

So, maybe the chocolate manufacturers are not ‘removing’ the word ‘Easter’ to sell eggs to the ethnic minorities in Britain. Perhaps they are simply following the trend of Easter’s reduced religious significance within the Christian community.

On that note may I wish the 8.6 million strong C of E population, together with the 4.1 million strong Catholic population, a very Happy Easter. Enjoy your Easter eggs.

May I also wish the 4 million non-Christians, together with the 24.7 million not religiously affiliated in any way, a very Happy ENFORCED Holiday (I know, I know, I’d rather have that long W/E in the summer as well!). Enjoy your chocolate eggs.

To those of you who don’t fall into either category may I simply wish you a very Happy Thing-a-ma-jiggy-me-bob-retail event. Enjoy your eggs any which way.

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Canny lass said:

2. one who has made an arse of themselves

Big GOBB hinney  the cap fits clagg it on ya heed , nay  translation needed :lol::lol:

A very Happy Easter ta all of ya ,  :beer:

Edited by moe19

Translation (bracketed text for information only):
'Big MOUTH honey (oh, you affectionate thing) the cap fits stick it on your head, no translation needed.'

Sorry Moe, while you yourself may understand every word you utter, there are readers who don't understand the geordie dialect and I think they have the right to know what you are saying and thereby be better able to judge your rhetorical skills. The Google translation service may be quite good but as yet it hasn't mastered Geordie.

• Like 1

anyhows --

hinny -- female donkey - also a form of 'drop'scone - as in singing hinneys.

perhaps a voir dire is in order at this time regarding the vernacular.

Geordie strictly only applies to those in Newcastle  and there are several alleged reasons for that dating back to a derogatory term used by the scots during the defence of the city in the 1745 rebellion relating to George II it has nowt to do wi George Stephenson as he was from Wylam and not the city.

Those that have actually lived and been brought up in the parish will be aware that the Bedlington linguistics are different from close neighbours such as Ashington and Morpeth and completely different from the Northumbrian.

Bedlington is much older than Ashington  which was built much later and took in many gastarbeiter when the coalfield was developed there. The Bedlington accent and language also has not the lengthened 'A' of the Ashington accent (as in AAAAAAAAAAshintin) nor has it the rolling 'R' of the Northumbrian. unless one counts the AAAAA was gannin doon the Lonnen. for the 'A' etc. (anecdotally infamous when someone was asked to describe the terrain at Kielder - response in a somewhat mystified tone was -- Nay bonny lad theres nay trains (terrains) in Kielder its a forest!) you have to read that one out aloud !!!

Accents began to change in Victorian times when the social mobility of people who spoke a local language began to travel with the railways and the local accents were diluted by 'incomers' (this was also the start of national time standards). in Ireland I could certainly tell the origins of most to within 5 miles or so of their village birthplace by the accent.

an example of this is the Yan tan tethera used by hill farmers to count sheep in the far north of the county and in Cumbria - interestingly enough also in southern parts of the country.

so in the end -- who are we and where does our local accent come from??? --(and I wont mention all them foreigners that have had an influence on our language)

2 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Haha! No translation required for you guys. Just think of Marialna at the coffee machine (Project WM2017/268)!

Translation for our non Bollocks  talkin  members.

I know I want ta reply  but just dont have a clue what ta say so I will just post sum more Bollocks as I aint got nowt ta do again today.

:lol::lol:     

23 hours ago, moe19 said:

Translation for our non Bollocks  talkin  members.

I know I want ta reply  but just dont have a clue what ta say so I will just post sum more Bollocks as I aint got nowt ta do again today.

This could prove a bit difficult guys as I,m translating a translation here but I'll do my best. It's important to bear in mind that this, originally, is what I have said, not Moe:

Translation for our non Geoerdie speaking readers:

'I know I want to reply but simply don’t have a clue what to say so I will just post some more rubbish because I haven’t got nothing to do again today’.

End of translation.

Moe

Let me start by saying to you something similar to that which I said to Lesmes/LesReid.

You are clearly irritated and, from your comments, I understand that you feel you are being shot down. It is not my intention to shoot anyone down. You joined the discussion voluntarily. You have participated voluntarily by ‘liking’ some posts and by commenting others. Correct me if I’m wrong but what I’ve understood so far is that you believe: 

1.    the word ‘Easter’ has been removed from Easter eggs in Britain

2.    The word has been removed to appease non-Christian ethnic minorities 

I myself do not believe that the word has been removed from Easter eggs and I do not believe that ethnic minorities have influenced the packaging of Easter eggs in any way.

I have argued objectively and systematically for that which I believe and have offered evidence in support of it. I have opposed many of the theories put forward by Lesmes/LesReid, again using an objective and systematic argumentation technique. I believe that I have shown beyond any shadow of a doubt that the word ‘Easter’ still appears on Easter eggs. That theory is supported by others.

I have even raised a question as to whether or not the word Easter has ever been ‘traditional’ on Easter egg packaging and the evidence, since no one has opposed it, weighs heavily in favour of that it has not.

Recently I brought into the discussion the notion that any possible decline in the use of the word Easter on egg packaging  may reflect  a decline in the Christian faith. Even there, I have supported my theory with evidence from empirical studies around Britain.

You, on the other hand, have made no effort to support your own beliefs or the opposing theories posited by others. Neither have you offered any opposition to mine – though you clearly don’t agree. Instead, your argument has consisted of sweeping unsupported statements, name calling, bad language, childish insults and a flagrant display of what can only be called sheer ignorance.

However, I’m a patient and reasonable person with a very open mind. Therefore I will offer you the chance to retire from this discussion with what little modicum of decorum you may have left. I invite you to either:

disprove (using an objective approach and a language devoid of vulgarities) the theories I’ve put forward, namely:

1.    The word Easter has not been removed from Easter eggs.

2.    Declining interest in Christianity is reflected in the packaging of Easter eggs

OR

Prove (again, using an objective approach and a language devoid of vulgarities) the theories which you clearly support, namely:

1.    the word ‘Easter’ has been removed from Easter eggs in Britain

2.    The word has been removed to appease non-Christian ethnic minorities

You may, of course, choose to ignore the opportunity offered and continue on your present course, in which case I will continue to translate your input into the discussion for ethnic minority readers. 

The choice is yours.

PS An apology for your apalling behaviour would not go amiss.

Edited by Canny lass

52 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

However, I’m a patient and reasonable person with a very open mind.

---> I'm not

I spent Easter having a Christmas dinner with he extended family as a catch up due to the child being in USA at the time.

Christmas, a time of reflection and celebration and Easter ( a reflection on the torture and death of a person and subsequent resurrection)  the same - so how does someone with such  narrow views and bigotry come to terms with the fact that the object of worship was not only a Jew but a dark skinned foreigner? ooo the angst must be terrible.

I attend church on occasion and in fact have a standing order for a monthly donation to the local church, but standing in a church does not make you a 'christian' with all the ethical and moral values that requires, any more than standing in a garage makes you car!

should you ever visit a church - take note of he architecture and the layout --it is based on the temple of Solomon, with its three distinct areas - the hoi poloi, the invited few, and the high priest area and well predates the 'Christian'  thing. Christianity - can be said to be -in the modern terms - the new kid on the block.

oh and NB (note bene - that's another foreign thing) I do believe that bla is correctly ended with an H as in BLAH.

Edited by pilgrim
second thoughts

17 minutes ago, pilgrim said:

standing in a church does not make you a 'christian'

... neither does eating a chocolate egg - judging by the amount of Xenophobia in correlation to the number of eggs sold.

18 minutes ago, pilgrim said:

I do believe that bla is correctly ended with an H as in BLAH.

I do believe you are right! I'm sure Mercury will be able to verify that.

we sidestepped the issue of the chocolate eggs and instead doled out the chocolate oranges - bigger and better and more flavoursome, although we did have both turkey and pork -- now that is very odd as turkey was not introduced until after the access to the 'new world' and all pork at Christmas would have had to be slain in he autumn at the annual killing and reduced to sausage and smoked etc. Do I possibly detect another insidious intrusion on urban myth and tradition by the cynical retailers????????? and yet another devaluation of tradition which has slipped under the radar?

Hinney, ya could  not shoot anyone doon even if ya had a twelve bore shotgun, ya would like ta think ya could but ya canit ya are just like a spoilt bairn stampin and wailing  and hoying a tantrum cos ya canit get tha own way, mind thee ya could mevies talk or bore a few ta shoot thasells ,  but me only irritation comes from  me poor owld Farmer Giles throbbing :lol:

Ya see a divint really give a gnats chuff aboot Easter eggs or any of the other daft things ya blart on and obsess  aboot,   but a naa it gets rite up  ya beak when folk divint agree with everything ya say and fail ta fall on bended knee and woorship ya, so  it gives is a good laugh ta see ya teek all the bait a hoy at ya, and naa that ya will have steam cumming  oot ya lugs wi a face like a turkey cock bangin away on ya computa   :lol: 

Ya see hinny ya teek ya sell owa serious, and ya are more easy ta wind up than me owld alarm clock and a must admit ya meck is  laugh :lol: 

Now a hear the word Christmas is ganna be banned from wa puddings this year, what di ya meek o that hinney :angry:     

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now