Has anybody noticed?

Guest lesmes

2 hours ago, pilgrim said:

Shankhouse..

I recall the Folly had some nice wrought iron legged bar tables with round wooden tops,

Aye thay was called Britannia tables, popular in pubs years ago but the things weighed a tun, cleaners would not be allowed to move em these days

Can ya remember if you wanted to have a Tom Tit you had to ask for the sit doon  lavvy key and the toilet roll  from behind the bar,  the key  was attached with a bit  of string to a great big  lump of wood so no one would put it int pocket or nick it, I think most folk would nip tha cheecks till thay got home, but if the tortoises heed was popping oot  then ya had na choice :o   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eggy1948 said:

One of the regulars at The Albion (The Folly) was Eddie Hindhaugh and he often comments on the Sixtownships Facebook group and I remembered he had posted some photos of inside the pub. So I asked him if he could remember the name of the goat and you were right to be thinking Billy or Benny:) - Eddie replied with :- Billy and Benny . There was 2 Goats. And 2 German Shepherds. Joe Joe was one . The other lived outside. As a guard Dog. + there was always a load of crap hanging from the ceiling.

This is a compilation of the photos from the Albion that Eddie has posted and I have added the names of who he said they were :- 

The Albion comp with names.jpg

That Brian Hedley him and his wife I think she was called Carole were regulars , along with John Brown, Colin, Sugar, Micky Jolly, John Packard, Alfie, Tommy the pig farmer,  and so many more that I cant bring to mind at this  minute.

Old Reg is sitting in front of the famous portrait of Jimmy that Betty would take down when they fell out

It was one hell of a place well patronised  it should never have closed ,   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

and the crap hanging from the ceiling :- 

27459492_10156069573837974_7199801977786058870_n.jpg

I remember somebody hung up a turnip lantern and it hung for years, it shrank and looked like some wizened faced owld Man  with naa teeth.

And who could forget the record company  advert  hinging on the cellar door for the company's latest  78 record  of Goodbye Dolly Grey,  :lol: talk aboot stuck in a time warp, the jack and Jill was so owld it made the one in  Arkwrights shop look high tech. 

moe.jpg

Edited by moe19

On 2018-03-01 at 14:19, moe19 said:

I bet thee also remembers owld bloke Chockie when the Folly tried serving food for a short time Betty told old Chockie to come in and get his Sunday dinner (for nowt ) he came in with an old newspaper and when the dinner arrived he hoyed it all in the paper wrapped it up and toddled  of yem to eat it, Betty face was a picture.

I don't remember Chockie. In fact, I don't remember them serving any meals. The darts 'friendlys' were usually mid-week, afternoon so maybe they only served meals at the w/e. Having said that, I don't recognise the inside of the pub from the pictures. Was there a small room with a dartboard and a serving hatch through to the bar? It wasn't too bad decor-wise. The door was off a corridor leading through to the loos (which didn't need a key and toilet rolls were in situ). However, that's about the only good thing I can say about them. There was rising damp in all the walls up to knee level and they were freezing even in the summer.

They only tried the meals for mevies a couple of weeks it interfered with Betty Licensed Vitulers  garvorting, and of course  she wasint  that keen on graft. The meals was served in that little back room ya mentioned.

Some of the pictures of the pub dont ring a bell with me asweel a cant remember seeing a plain empty  wall in the Folly they was all covered in Jimmys nic nacs (nay pun intended ) . 

Eddie Hindhaugh posted the photo, middle right, as the night before the pub closed for good but he does not give the date. He does say the pub 'accidently'  caught fire and burnt down in 1992.

I've added a couple more, from Eddie, to the composition. The bottom left photo shows that poster you posted @moe19 and it had three names (Sugar, Ernie & Danny) with it but there are 4 in the photo so don't know which three are named.

The bottom right shows another room, I think, of the pub. 

The Albion comp with names.jpg

• Like 1

Thats Sugar far left and a think the lad with the beard was called Danny.

I did not supp in the Folly for the last couple of years before it closed but it was around 1991,no one knew  Jimmy and Betty were moving out the flat they just vanished on day ( they had a cottage at Wooler maybe they went to it )

It stood empty and boarded for a short while not long, then it went on fire, Tha was a lot of gossip controversy over the fire and I remember tales/ gossip from folk saying of the wrecking crew demolished it at the crack of dawn  so no one would be around to stop them as they had no correct permission, but who knows the truth. Eddie may be able to shed some light on those tales  

Edited by moe19

2 hours ago, moe19 said:

................ Eddie may be able to shed some light on those tales  

@moe19 - reply from Eddie was :- 'Jim and Betty had a house in Wooler next to the Tankerville arms. The also had a property in Palma Majorca where they spent most times. They had a retirement party at the Pub which we all attended. Then a young lad from Crammy surname Davy. Eric's son who was a mate of mine took over the Pub for a short time. Then he left and it was boarded up. Before it went up in flames in the early hours. I watched it from my window in Hastings Tce. Aye suspicious to say the least.

This is at the retirement party .with my impression of Betty with Barmaid Pauline.

28577467_10156148107602974_8963539471639184959_n.jpg

ps - I suppose we should now get back to Easter Eggs:)

Edited by Eggy1948
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Eggy1948 said:

I prefer pubs but I suppose @lesmes gets his Topic back

lesmes, having started this topic, has been noticeable in the debate only by his absence (has anybody noticed?). But, should he wish to support and defend his opening statement with a few facts, then I for one would welcome his return.

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 1

Guest Les Reid
On 03/03/2018 at 12:40, Canny lass said:

lesmes, having started this topic, has been noticeable in the debate only by his absence (has anybody noticed?). But, should he wish to support and defend his opening statement with a few facts, then I for one would welcome his return.

Well canny lass!

My point was the missing EASTER word on all the eggs etc, but the response was fantastic in that everyone had their say and what this site is all about, no winners and just chat and good points of view.

And by the way I enjoyed the Shankhouse crack.

But my last word on this topic was on Facebook last Sunday when it was reported the Australian senate discussed the missing word EASTER on the Easter eggs sold across Australia,

And thank you everyone for your input.

40 minutes ago, Les Reid said:

And thank you everyone for your input.

Naa botha Les, I enjoyed the crack, I agree with thee 100 poorsent  its a shame aboot  the eggs.

Not ta woory me and wore lass will still be ganinn booling wa   yaries doon the Harr- Hill. weather poormitting

yellowsnow.jpg

On 2018-03-06 at 16:56, Les Reid said:

My point was the missing EASTER word on all the eggs etc, but the response was fantastic in that everyone had their say and what this site is all about, no winners and just chat and good points of view.

Make your mind up, lesmes/Les Reid. (One person/two accounts?)

If I understood you correctly your initial hypothesis was that only a couple of chocolate firms use the word ‘Easter’ on the Easter eggs they produce this year. Now it’s the missing Easter word on ALL the eggs etc. Either way, it’s a pretty sweeping statement. As Merc and I have pointed out, there are plenty of Easter products about bearing the word Easter and as my Muslim friend has pointed out, it doesn’t seem to have been much of a tradition anyway.  

My order arrived today and it included - from Cadburys:

Dairy Milk Happy Easter Bar 850g  (Text: “Happy Easter”, front of packaging). ₤10

Creme Egg Easter Egg 138g, Peter rabbit edition.(Text: “Contains 1 Easter egg”, front of packaging). ₤3. 49

Peter Rabbit Toy & Easter Egg (Text: “Peter Rabbit Toy & Easter egg”, front of packaging). ₤6,99

Cadbury Egg Hunt Pack 342g (Text: ”Easter Egg Hunt Super Pack”, Front of packaging ). ₤6.99

… and, from the Chocolate Trading Company:

Prestat, Pink popping prosecco Easter egg with truffles 170g (Text: “ Pink Popping Prosecco Easter Egg”, front of packaging). ₤16.95

Prestat, Hot cross bun, milk chocolate Easter egg 170g (Text: “Hot Cross bun Spiced Easter Egg”, front of packaging). ₤16.95

As some of us have said, there's no shortage of the word Easter, but feel free to prove me wrong.

On 2018-03-06 at 16:56, Les Reid said:

But my last word on this topic was on Facebook last Sunday when it was reported the Australian senate discussed the missing word EASTER on the Easter eggs sold across Australia,

I’m very sorry to hear that your last word on this topic was on Facebook and not here. It was, after all, here – on this forum that you posed your 'question'. I’ve searched the Internet at length today trying to find the report you mention – without success I might add. I would like to read it, however and I’m sure you will provide me with a link (Should you not wish to post it here then you can mail it to me. My e-mail address is on my profile. Many thanks in advance. I look forward to reading it)

My search today revealed old reports from March 2016 (yes, it was being discussed in Aussie way back then). However, it wasn’t being discussed in the Senate but in an on-line debate sparked off by Federal MP Chris Kelly. Mr. Kelly spoke of how he "read an overseas article about manufacturers in the UK stripping the word Easter off their packaging to avoid offending non-Christians […] by deleting the word Easter, they believe that this will make their products more attractive to a wider audience and thus increase sales.”

Cadburys Australia replied to this, stating that “the word Easter isn’t banned from egg packaging […] Easter is still stated on our Easter eggs on the back of the pack.” My comment: That’s probably only when it’s not splattered all over the front.  Cadbury Australia  continues “ Most of our Easter eggs don’t say Easter or egg on the front because it’s very obvious through the packaging that it is an Easter egg, re-emphasised by their seasonal availability.” http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/eat/federal-mp-questions-why-manufacturers-take-easter-out-of-their-chocolate-egg-packaging/news-story/02f735e77303dfc13cffc39909de3fa8

The big debate this year (6 January) seems to have concerned the early arrival of “Easter eggs” (and Hot Cross Buns).  Not a mention of the packaging but with or without the word Easter some of the good people ‘down-under’ (I suspect the majority), seem to be able to recognize an Easter egg and refer to it as such.

And then of course, there’s the long-ongoing discussion about palm oil in chocolate but that’s not just in Australia. I’m sure you’ve read about it too.

I think the ‘debate’ is nicely summed up on another Australian site: Junkee.com, when they say

“Like many religious holidays, Easter in Australia is heavy on traditions – day drinking, barely tolerating extended family, stuffing yourself so full of cheap off-brand chocolate it feels like you’re about to die. In recent years, though, Easter and Christmas have developed an exciting new tradition: people freaking out about the non-existent threat of political correctness. […] every religious holiday now comes with its own ready-made storm in a teacup, courtesy of people who seemingly never heard of the myriad more important problems the world is facing at the moment.”

Not a mention of religion anywhere. If it hadn’t been for the word ‘Australia’  I would have sworn that he was talking about Britain!

Out of curiosity when I was in our supermarket today I checked out the candy section, lots of Cadbury's, Hershey and many others chocolate products, eggs and bunnies etc but there was only one package that said Easter on it and that was one of the Cadbury's mini eggs packages.

But alas they were completely out of hot cross buns, (I don't like them but the "boss" does)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

Out of curiosity when I was in our supermarket today I checked out the candy section, lots of Cadbury's, Hershey and many others chocolate products, eggs and bunnies etc but there was only one package that said Easter on it and that was one of the Cadbury's mini eggs packages.

But alas they were completely out of hot cross buns, (I don't like them but the "boss" does)

I me and wor lass had a ganda at Morrisons again this morning a found one that said this box contains one Easter egg in a little square on the back of the box, not ta worry as wasint gan a buy one anyway  we only went in for a tube of Germaloids and a big orange.

Boil ya own  dye em and  decorate them, ya cannot wack a bit of the owld tradition, and divint forget ta trim ya bonnets   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Easter.jpg not available to me.

I could see it but today :o nowt - try again :-

It's normally Easter when the  when the winter greens are put to bed, Wilf will have to get some practise in soon :-

Easter3.png

• Like 1

Guest Les Reid
On 07/03/2018 at 21:14, Canny lass said:

I’m very sorry to hear that your last word on this topic was on Facebook and not here. It was, after all, here – on this forum that you posed your 'question'. I’ve searched the Internet at length today trying to find the report you mention – without success I might add. I would like to read it, however and I’m sure you will provide me with a link (Should you not wish to post it here then you can mail it to me. My e-mail address is on my profile. Many thanks in advance. I look forward to reading it)

My search today revealed old reports from March 2016 (yes, it was being discussed in Aussie way back then). However, it wasn’t being discussed in the Senate but in an on-line debate sparked off by Federal MP Chris Kelly. Mr. Kelly spoke of how he "read an overseas article about manufacturers in the UK stripping the word Easter off their packaging to avoid offending non-Christians […] by deleting the word Easter, they believe that this will make their products more attractive to a wider audience and thus increase sales.”

Cadburys Australia replied to this, stating that “the word Easter isn’t banned from egg packaging […] Easter is still stated on our Easter eggs on the back of the pack.” My comment: That’s probably only when it’s not splattered all over the front.  Cadbury Australia  continues “ Most of our Easter eggs don’t say Easter or egg on the front because it’s very obvious through the packaging that it is an Easter egg, re-emphasised by their seasonal availability.” http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/food/eat/federal-mp-questions-why-manufacturers-take-easter-out-of-their-chocolate-egg-packaging/news-story/02f735e77303dfc13cffc39909de3fa8

The big debate this year (6 January) seems to have concerned the early arrival of “Easter eggs” (and Hot Cross Buns).  Not a mention of the packaging but with or without the word Easter some of the good people ‘down-under’ (I suspect the majority), seem to be able to recognize an Easter egg and refer to it as such.

And then of course, there’s the long-ongoing discussion about palm oil in chocolate but that’s not just in Australia. I’m sure you’ve read about it too.

I think the ‘debate’ is nicely summed up on another Australian site: Junkee.com, when they say

“Like many religious holidays, Easter in Australia is heavy on traditions – day drinking, barely tolerating extended family, stuffing yourself so full of cheap off-brand chocolate it feels like you’re about to die. In recent years, though, Easter and Christmas have developed an exciting new tradition: people freaking out about the non-existent threat of political correctness. […] every religious holiday now comes with its own ready-made storm in a teacup, courtesy of people who seemingly never heard of the myriad more important problems the world is facing at the moment.”

Not a mention of religion anywhere. If it hadn’t been for the word ‘Australia’  I would have sworn that he was talking about Britain!

But my last word on this topic I saw on Facebook last Sunday when it was reported the Australian senate discussed the missing word EASTER on the Easter eggs sold across Australia.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stand corrected on the words, and have amended the above, as I never use Facebook for discussions etc.

Apart from that Canny Lass, the topic has run its course and should really finish on a happy note.

Guest Les Reid
19 hours ago, Les Reid said:

But my last word on this topic I saw on Facebook last Sunday when it was reported the Australian senate discussed the missing word EASTER on the Easter eggs sold across Australia.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stand corrected on the words, and have amended the above, as I never use Facebook for discussions etc.

Apart from that Canny Lass, the topic has run its course and should really finish on a happy note.

Thank you MOE19

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now