Has anybody noticed?

Guest lesmes

The National Trust have put the word Easter back into their 'Egg Hunt' (  placement around words or phrases used in a special sense or purposefully misused) - so it's now "..... Cadbury Easter Egg Hunt 2018." 

NT Easter Egg Hunt.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

The National Trust have put the word Easter back into their 'Egg Hunt' (  placement around words or phrases used in a special sense or purposefully misused) - so it's now "..... Cadbury Easter Egg Hunt 2018." (my underlining)

Top marks, Eggy. I do like a quick learner!

Getting back to Easter eggs, I think the word 'Easter' should have been removed years ago and it should have been replaced by 'New Year'. How can anybody legitimately call a chocolate egg an 'Easter egg' when it appears like clockwork on January 2nd every year!

16 hours ago, Steve Turnbull said:

I’m surprised 3G hasn’t jumped on this one. 

Thy certainly has a big stiffy on for 3G pet, only a handful of posts and most of them chasing after him .

Is thy sure ya not Pilgrim posting under another handle or is thy just a bit gormless    :huh:  

I suppose I should not feed the troll :wacko:

Edited by moe19

On 2018-02-23 at 18:26, lesmes said:

Who took the Easter out of our Easter Eggs!

Only a couple say Easter Eggs, and the big names are not amongst them.

Lesmes, I’m intrigued to know which big names were missing.

I’ve just returned from the UK where I saw the usual range of chocolate eggs for sale – all under the banner *Easter Eggs’. I’ve just shopped on-line for my own  chocolate eggs and I can choose ‘Easter eggs’ made by Cadbury, Mars (Malteser and Galaxy),Guylian, Thornton and Nestlé (Aero, Milky bar, Smarties, Yorkie,Rolo, Quality Street, Munchies, Kit Kat chunky, Toffee Crisp and Dairy Box) and Lindt – who even offer an Easter Bunny and an Easter Sheep.

Even Ferrero have Easter eggs and Easter bunnies. Kinder and Haribo, while they don’t offer Easter eggs, do offer other ‘Easter’ products, such as bunnies, figures, pouches and mini hunts. Even Tescos has a range of Easter eggs (N.B. their Gin and Elderflower egg is not sold as an ‘Easter’ egg).

I think there are some pretty big names in the chocolate industry there.

On 2018-02-23 at 21:36, _pauls said:

To be fair chocolate eggs have b*gger all to do with Easter really.

Eggs have been associated with the Christian celebration of Easter (which celebrates the death and resurrection of Christ) since the very early days of the church. However, Easter eggs are adaptations of former pagan practice – it being the symbol of rebirth and new beginnings. Long before the Christian church was established the egg appeared in Egyptian mythology and in the Hindu scriptures. https://www.cadbury.com.au/about-chocolate/the-story-of-easter-and-easter-eggs.aspx

On 2018-02-24 at 07:59, moe19 said:

Cadbury   dropped the word Easter from the  Eggs last year, maybe they are chasing a new market 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4400444/Are-Easter-eggs-halal-certified.html

No ‘maybe’ about it, Moe. Cadbury is quite open about the fact that they look for new markets – which business doesn’t?

“The Easter egg market is one of the most exciting confectionary markets, with new ranges and presentations attracting more consumers every year.” https://www.cadbury.com.au/about-chocolate/the-story-of-easter-and-easter-eggs.aspx

Is a halal certified Easter egg so strange in this day and age? I mean, Kosher Easter eggs for the Jewish community have been around since the year dot. I dished them out on Easter Sunday to jewish patients. In fact, some say that they were invented by Jews in France during the 17th century. http://jewishjournal.com/culture/food/183690/jewish-easter-eggs-really

I would have thought that some people would be glad for any move to get ethnic groups to accept what some would call a ‘Christian’ traditionwhen in Rome etc.etc.

2 hours ago, moe19 said:

Thy certainly has a big stiffy on for 3G pet, only a handful of posts and most of them chasing after him .

Is thy sure ya not Pilgrim posting under another handle or is thy just a bit gormless    :huh:  

I suppose I should not feed the troll :wacko:

I think you might need to revise your thys, thous and thees, Moe, or are you from Yorkshire?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pilgrim said:

ya what?? I have enough trouble recalling who I am without interlopers taking my 'good' name in vain 

Na such thing as an interloupa  on a public forum marrow , we can all interfere with each other as much as we like :wub:

As lang as we dont scare the gallowers

Edited by moe19

4 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Eggs have been associated with the Christian celebration of Easter (which celebrates the death and resurrection of Christ) since the very early days of the church. However, Easter eggs are adaptations of former pagan practice – it being the symbol of rebirth and new beginnings. Long before the Christian church was established the egg appeared in Egyptian mythology and in the Hindu scriptures. https://www.cadbury.com.au/about-chocolate/the-story-of-easter-and-easter-eggs.aspx

Sure eggs are associated with Easter - but when I was a kid in the 70s it was more about decorating and rolling real eggs - my point is that chocolate eggs are just a modern marketing gimmick.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, _pauls said:

Sure eggs are associated with Easter - but when I was a kid in the 70s it was more about decorating and rolling real eggs - my point is that chocolate eggs are just a modern marketing gimmick.

Chocolate eggs aren't so very modern. I was a kid in the fifties and can remember watching a chocolate egg (given pride of place on the piano) and longing for Easter Sunday to arrive when it could finally be opened and EATEN!! Heaven knows what my parents must have sacrificed to be able to buy it! Cadbury has been making them since 1875 apparently. I'm sure they were a luxury only for the rich way back then but they became more popular and sales shot up when milk chocolate was introduced in 1905.

Even if I got a chocolate Easter egg in the fifties, I agree that Easter was more about hens eggs. Do you remeber saving onion skins and collecting flowers from Gorse bushes to colour them? Fingers used to get pricked to bits! I think we also used Lupin leaves, bound onto the egg with thread before putting the egg into the pan of onion skins to be boiled. can anybody verify that? What ever leaf it was, it gave a nice star-shaped pattern. The cooked eggs were rubbed with butter to give them a bit of a shine.

I have to admit that I had no idea why we eat eggs at Easter but finding out kept the grandchildren (and myself) out of mischief at the weekend. I figured that if they wanted to sit with their eyes glued to a screen all day, then they may as well be doing something useful with the time. It was quite interesting actually.

Incidentally, they are 9 and 12 yo and they didn't have any idea why we eat eggs either.

23 hours ago, moe19 said:

Boghooses  hinney

or as wore lass like ta call it Shankhoose, 

Shankhoose! Whey wa nearly related man!

My mother was born there in 1904, as I've just found out. I'd always thought it was Cramlington. I can't really place Shankhouses on a map but I remember getting the bus to Boghouses (a row of 3-4 houses if I remember rightly) when I used to visit a friend at  ... I think it was Hartford Colliery. Would that be right? I'd love to hear anything you know about Shankhouses. 

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

Do you remeber saving onion skins and collecting flowers from Gorse bushes to colour them? Fingers used to get pricked to bits! I think we also used Lupin leaves, bound onto the egg with thread before putting the egg into the pan of onion skins to be boiled. can anybody verify that? What ever leaf it was, it gave a nice star-shaped pattern. The cooked eggs were rubbed with butter to give them a bit of a shine.

Used to do this but not the star shaped leaf, often put coffee in for more colour, writing name with a candle, my dad used to decorate eggs and we would win competitions with them! we ALWAYS had a egg japping contest before eating, pointy end then the blunt end! When dad was lad they used to go farm to farm to be given eggs, duck, goose, hens etc

Wasn't Shankhouse up just past Three horse shoes pub? top of the Laverock hall road, past the first roundabout. 

Edited by Vic Patterson

Guest Les Reid
1 hour ago, Vic Patterson said:

Used to do this but not the star shaped leaf, often put coffee in for more colour, writing name with a candle, my dad used to decorate eggs and we would win competitions with them! we ALWAYS had a egg japping contest before eating, pointy end then the blunt end! When dad was lad they used to go farm to farm to be given eggs, duck, goose, hens etc

Wasn't Shankhouse up just past Three horse shoes pub? top of the Laverock hall road, past the first roundabout. 

Picked up this comment from the Dailymail today on our subject!

======================================================

barnsley tyke, barnsley, United Kingdom, about 2 hours ago

They are not Easter eggs, it does not say Easter on the packaging, there for it cultural misappropriation.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-5440725/Tesco-slashes-price-Easter-eggs-2.html#ixzz58KuFjpJE
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Regarding the shankhouse comments etc!

Shankhouse main roundabout and part of its surrounding area was in the past mainly considered as Shankhouse, but gets very confusing as Shankhouse social Club was situated in High Pit if it's still open, and every other person you speak to would offer different views.  (I would say most people today just call it cramlington) but Hartford Village is not part of it as I know, so that’s it to the best of my knowledge, as someone out there could be better informed than myself.

Maybe check out Google Earth, as it's all built up these days.

16 minutes ago, Les Reid said:

They are not Easter eggs, it does not say Easter on the packaging, there for it cultural misappropriation.

I think most people with an ounce of common sense can recognize an Easter egg when they see one. Clearly 'barnsley tyke' doesn't belong to that group. Easter eggs usually arrive in the shops in good time for Easter and disappear shortly after.They are often decorated with Easter-related pictures: chickens, bunnies etc..Do they really need the words 'Easter' and 'egg' in order to be able to identify it? 

It doesn't say 'fish' on a haddock but it's still a fish and easily identifiable.

It doesn't say 'toilet paper' on a toilet roll but it's still  toilet paper and easily identifiable.

The first post on this thread asks the question "Who took the Easter out of our Easter eggs?" How does lesmes  know it's an Easter egg that's had the word removed if they are no longer identifiable? Simple! It looks like an Easter egg, it smells like an Easter egg, it's decorated like an Easter egg and the words 'Happy Easter' are staring us in the face everywhere we go. How many clues do we need?

44 minutes ago, Les Reid said:

Shankhouse main roundabout and part of its surrounding area was in the past mainly considered as Shankhouse, but gets very confusing as Shankhouse social Club was situated in High Pit if it's still open, and every other person you speak to would offer different views.  (I would say most people today just call it cramlington) but Hartford Village is not part of it as I know, so that’s it to the best of my knowledge, as someone out there could be better informed than myself.

Thanks Les! I've heard the name Shankhouse (or Shankhouses) somewhere in my past but I don't think I've ever seen a signpost or anything when driving around. My mother always said Cramlington so I was surprised when I got a birth certificate last month and the adress was given simply as "Shankhouse" - no street name, just Shankhouse. I haven't had time to look into it yet but I'm intending to do so soon.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now