Sunnyside Cottages, Choppington

Rigger

On 08/06/2021 at 12:38, Canny lass said:

Now I'm confused and wondering if I've misunderstood your first reference to Pease Bush?

Are you saying:

a) Peas/Pease Bush is correct and the map-makers got it wrong

b) Puce Bush is correct and the enumerator got it wrong

c) There are two forms: one of which may be dialectal (which is what I believe)

I don't know where map-makers get their place-name information from but some of the OS maps are "revised" editions meaning that the previous map was amended. Therefore a 'mistake' could well be repeated. However, some are not revised, indicating that a new survey is the basis for the information included on the map. That should have made it difficult to repeat mistakes.

The census records i shared were written by different enumerators (all male) at 10 year intervalls and with no need of access to the previous records (there was nothing to transfer). This suggests, to me, that Peas/Pease was the written interpretation of local pronunciation.

@Canny lass, oh no, I’m not qualified to say what is right or wrong. I believe you are right in saying it just demonstrates the difference between the actual name and the local dialect version. I was being flippant about the possibility that history can possibly be changed by a slip of a pen. An example I found on maps of Co Durham where “Aukside” on an old map became “Hawkside” on a more recent version- not so much a slip of the pen but a better understanding of the local vernacular? Think of me as the fieldmouse gazing at the moon and 💭just wondering xx

On 08/06/2021 at 19:36, Jammy said:

You will need a sim with data if you want to use the iPad away from home. You could swap your O2 sim into your iPad if its the correct size. If it works you won't be able to receive or make phone calls. Because you have Plusnet broadband you will get a better deal on a sim, ie: more data for the normal sim price. I've had a quick look at the Plusnet site for sim only deals.

This is what I've found: - 4GB - £6, 12GB - £8, 20GB - £20 - £10 on a 30 day rolling contract plus on any deal you will get an extra 2GB because you are a Plusnet broadband customer. You can use your iPad at home to access the site and speak(type) to someone to ask about the suitability of their sims for an iPad. I'm sure the sim will be ok. Also, you may find a Plusnet sim will be cheaper than your O2 sim and you can keep your existing number. I changed to Plusnet from O2 for my iPhone. Plusnet use the EE network. 

Sorry, I should have typed 20GB - £10. OOPS

Wow, @Jammy! 🌟x Thank you very much for such detailed information, and thanks +++ for putting yourself out to collect all the facts, I’m very impressed and grateful x. I wouldn’t have known where to start!? You’ve mentioned you changed from O2 to Plusnet- is that something you’d advise me to do? I’m also clueless about networks, is EE better than O2, or maybe I’d be better using the same network for iPhone and iPad? Sorry for asking more daft questions but, at best, I understand very little of the contraptions that I try to use. I’d appreciate your advice, best regards, Roseanne x

13 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

Wow, @Jammy! 🌟x Thank you very much for such detailed information, and thanks +++ for putting yourself out to collect all the facts, I’m very impressed and grateful x. I wouldn’t have known where to start!? You’ve mentioned you changed from O2 to Plusnet- is that something you’d advise me to do? I’m also clueless about networks, is EE better than O2, or maybe I’d be better using the same network for iPhone and iPad? Sorry for asking more daft questions but, at best, I understand very little of the contraptions that I try to use. I’d appreciate your advice, best regards, Roseanne x

Roseanne, this is what I use, sim wise. My iPad has a pay as you go O2 sim. The iPad rarely leaves my house so is ideal for me. My iPhone now has a Plusnet sim costing £6 a month on a 30 day rolling contract. The iPhone used to have an O2 sim installed costing around £20 per month on a 12 month contract. I use Plusnet for my broadband. I'm saving quite a few pounds per year with the iPhone. O2 used to drop phone calls when making them from home and often showed no service. With Plusnet(EE) I have a 2 bar stronger signal and have never had a call dropped or lost signal.

Without knowing how much your O2 sim costs per month I will guess changing to Plusnet sims will save you money. You will use less data now your iPad is working. Should you decide to change you will find lower down on the Plusnet details page a box to type a number in. Type into the box the correct number supplied(by Plusnet) and you will retain your mobile number(takes a few hours from inserting the new sim into your mobile for your old number to be active).

Should you go with Plusnet and find you don't have sufficient data you can easily upgrade to a higher data amount. 

As I said previously type to someone at Plusnet to ensure their sim will work in your iPad.

If you have any questions let me know. 

1 hour ago, Jammy said:

Roseanne, this is what I use, sim wise. My iPad has a pay as you go O2 sim. The iPad rarely leaves my house so is ideal for me. My iPhone now has a Plusnet sim costing £6 a month on a 30 day rolling contract. The iPhone used to have an O2 sim installed costing around £20 per month on a 12 month contract. I use Plusnet for my broadband. I'm saving quite a few pounds per year with the iPhone. O2 used to drop phone calls when making them from home and often showed no service. With Plusnet(EE) I have a 2 bar stronger signal and have never had a call dropped or lost signal.

Without knowing how much your O2 sim costs per month I will guess changing to Plusnet sims will save you money. You will use less data now your iPad is working. Should you decide to change you will find lower down on the Plusnet details page a box to type a number in. Type into the box the correct number supplied(by Plusnet) and you will retain your mobile number(takes a few hours from inserting the new sim into your mobile for your old number to be active).

Should you go with Plusnet and find you don't have sufficient data you can easily upgrade to a higher data amount. 

As I said previously type to someone at Plusnet to ensure their sim will work in your iPad.

If you have any questions let me know. 

Grrr   @Jammy, I’m ticked off cos I can’t give you a big huggy thank you emoji, not even able to pick up your @Jammy, now it works! I’m so impressed by your knowledge and very grateful for your advice. I did text ‘Aura’ at O2 this morning to ask what sort of contract I’ve got and when can I opt out and change network. I’ve just been to check response, none, so asked again. Then it got complicated. I’m on a contract of some sort and have asked for info like when does the contract end so I can change network and that’s when I lost the plot. I can see a commencement date but don’t know how many months it runs. Previously early cancellation penalties have been mentioned and I’m at a loss. I will have to speak to someone at O2 to ask for details, then I’ll take it from there. I recognise the value of your advice and will switch once I free myself from O2’s tentacles. I’m storing all your advice in a Jammy folder so I can follow the steps asap. Once again, thank you very much, Roseanne x

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now