Sunnyside Cottages, Choppington

Rigger

@Rigger - checked on the Barrington, Barnt' n  memories and stuff!! Facebook site to see if there was any mention of Sunnyside Cottages that I believed was next to the Willow Bridge area and the people from Barrington often linked that area with Barrinton. This photo was on the site but the person that posted it says he can't remember where he got it from - I don't believe him! When I saw the photo (and it looked as though it was a book page) I recognised it from Evan Martin's book - Images of England Bedlingtonshire - Page 46 :- copy from the book with a bit of info :- 

001 (2).jpg

@Rigger - one of the Barnton Admin team - Alan Dickson (in his early 70's) - that knows the area very well replied to the question I put to Geoff on the site :-

Alan DicksonGroup admin That stood in the dip just after Sunniside gannin to Bedlington Geoff,
But on the left side of the road, next to the Netherton wagon way which bi-sected the road.
Think it was used at one time for the Barnt,n pit office.

• 3 years later...

Aha! So, instead of Googling I should be finding the local interest groups and doing name/place searches- Sunnyside figures quite large within the Bedlington/Choppington/Bar’ton pond🤗x

51 minutes ago, Rigger said:

There is a History Society in Bedlington, that I know of.  A chap called David Cowans is the Chairman.  I no longer live in Bedlington but take a great interest from a distant.

Oh, thank you @Rigger, I’ll follow up on this, very grateful, thanks again xx

Getting back to Puce Bush:

You may need to zoom in to read the original but here is how the enumerator describes ”Peas Bush” in his area description for the 1861 census.

Notation, upper left corner of text:

“My district comprises

Whinney Hill

Scotland Gate

Choppington Colliery

Peas Bush”

Note the spelling of Peas Bush instead of Puce Bush. 'Peas' is clearly how it was pronounced in 1861.

Third- and second from last lines of the text:

“Peas Bush is an old sort of a place being formerly an off onstead for Choppington farm but now occupied by Choppington colliery”

Note: onstead, a word I’ve never come across before, means “a farmhouse with its buildings”  (Miriam Webster).

Some other online sources define it simply as a farm outbuilding. The map shows  several large buildings so I think Webster gives the more likely definition.

Peas Bush 1861 C (2).png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

@lilbill15 I can't be sure but I've distant recollections of hearing that the town mortuary was situated thereabouts as well.

Perhaps we can ask Andy to move these posts about Doctor's Yard to your new topic.

@Andy Millne, hello, Sir, having digressed, as usual, through several topics is it possible to introduce this subject of Doctors Yard in it’s own right? Thank you x

Looking at the handwritten record re Peas Bush - I would read that record as Pu…? , no wonder the name has changed over the years!? Maybe history isn’t such a mystery but just a slip of the pen? x

2 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

Looking at the handwritten record re Peas Bush - I would read that record as Pu…? ,

It's a possibility so I looked at the actual entry for the adress.

1861 C Peas Bush  record enl.jpg

I think I can detect a clear loop on the letter e. The 'a' in Peas isn't completely closed at the top but the same 'a' appears in several names: James, Jane and Mary A.

For the sake of interest I looked at the previous-, 1851, and the following 1871 census records:

1851:

Is not very clear but, again, Ithink it's 'ea' and the word is definitely more than 3 letters.

1851 C Pease Bush  record enl.jpg

1871 (enuerator's description) is easily read and this time the word has an added 'e' at the end - Pease Bush Farm. So, It seems to have been Peas or Pease to the locals and Puce to the map makers (or maybethe map-makers were city boys who couldn't understand the dialect).

1871 C Pease Bush Farm descr enl.jpg

Edited by Canny lass

5 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Getting back to Puce Bush:

You may need to zoom in to read the original but here is how the enumerator describes ”Peas Bush” in his area description for the 1861 census.

Notation, upper left corner of text:

“My district comprises

Whinney Hill

Scotland Gate

Choppington Colliery

Peas Bush”

Note the spelling of Peas Bush instead of Puce Bush. 'Peas' is clearly how it was pronounced in 1861.

Third- and second from last lines of the text:

“Peas Bush is an old sort of a place being formerly an off onstead for Choppington farm but now occupied by Choppington colliery”

Note: onstead, a word I’ve never come across before, means “a farmhouse with its buildings”  (Miriam Webster).

Some other online sources define it simply as a farm outbuilding. The map shows  several large buildings so I think Webster gives the more likely definition.

Peas Bush 1861 C (2).png

@Canny lassThis has led me to unearth my Dad’s iPad- will have to spend some time deciphering it, but maybe I’ll be able to read these old records more easily? You’ve put that cat well and truly among the spuggies! 😁xx

48 minutes ago, lilbill15 said:

@Canny lassThis has led me to unearth my Dad’s iPad- will have to spend some time deciphering it, but maybe I’ll be able to read these old records more easily? You’ve put that cat well and truly among the spuggies! 😁xx

However, I’m absolutely not disputing your analysis of the written “Pease”, simply suggesting that I can understand how the name was distorted to “Puce” because of his?/her??  spider-crawl writing; I doubt subsequent recorders made such detailed comparisons of text to pick up the fact that the enumerator wrote their “ea” like a lazy/hasty “u”? x.       (iPad is now on charge, waiting for a reminder of the passcode number)

Not a reply at all, just a note to say iPad is now up and running, I feel like I’ve been through the ringer but I can definitely see the benefit of the larger screen 👍🏻X. Settings says “no SIM”, do I have to do something about this, please? x

If you have broadband you don't need a sim. Go to settings then Wifi and fill in the required details to log into your router. 

If you don't have broadband then you will need a sim with plenty data per month. You could use a pay as you go sim with some data on it to see how much data you use each month then setup a monthly contract with the required data amount you think you will use. A monthly contract will prove cheaper than pay as you go.

I had a Vodaphone sim in my iPad which caused me all sorts of problems. I changed to O2 and it worked perfectly. Plusnet do some canny deals on sim only and are cheaper than O2. Best to look around and perhaps ask if the chosen sim will work in your iPad.

Edited by Jammy
Additional info
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jammy said:

If you have broadband you don't need a sim. Go to settings then Wifi and fill in the required details to log into your router. 

If you don't have broadband then you will need a sim with plenty data per month. You could use a pay as you go sim with some data on it to see how much data you use each month then setup a monthly contract with the required data amount you think you will use. A monthly contract will prove cheaper than pay as you go.

I had a Vodaphone sim in my iPad which caused me all sorts of problems. I changed to O2 and it worked perfectly. Plusnet do some canny deals on sim only and are cheaper than O2. Best to look around and perhaps ask if the chosen sim will work in your iPad.

Thank you very much @Jammy, I do have Plusnet broadband so all seems to be well, plus O2 is my mobile network =all bases covered? Does this mean I can only use the iPad at home, or is it as mobile as the phone? Or, is this when a SIM might be needed?  Sorry for the dopey questions 😵💫xx

3 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

Not a reply at all, just a note to say iPad is now up and running, I feel like I’ve been through the ringer but I can definitely see the benefit of the larger screen 👍🏻X. Settings says “no SIM”, do I have to do something about this, please? x

ringer = wringer, oops x

5 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

However, I’m absolutely not disputing your analysis of the written “Pease”, simply suggesting that I can understand how the name was distorted to “Puce” because of his?/her??  spider-crawl writing; I doubt subsequent recorders made such detailed comparisons of text to pick up the fact that the enumerator wrote their “ea” like a lazy/hasty “u”? x.       (iPad is now on charge, waiting for a reminder of the passcode number)

@Canny lassI’m keen to find out how many and when Puce Bush is proffered against Peas(e) Bush records? I’m gradually working my way through your suggested ?URL’s re old maps, checking spelling and titles re Pease Bush Farm/?Puce? Bush??- @Canny lass aa’ha’me’doots!?! 🤔xx

10 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

@Canny lassI’m keen to find out how many and when Puce Bush is proffered against Peas(e) Bush records? I’m gradually working my way through your suggested ?URL’s re old maps, checking spelling and titles re Pease Bush Farm/?Puce? Bush??- @Canny lass aa’ha’me’doots!?!

Now I'm confused and wondering if I've misunderstood your first reference to Pease Bush?

Are you saying:

a) Peas/Pease Bush is correct and the map-makers got it wrong

b) Puce Bush is correct and the enumerator got it wrong

c) There are two forms: one of which may be dialectal (which is what I believe)

I don't know where map-makers get their place-name information from but some of the OS maps are "revised" editions meaning that the previous map was amended. Therefore a 'mistake' could well be repeated. However, some are not revised, indicating that a new survey is the basis for the information included on the map. That should have made it difficult to repeat mistakes.

The census records i shared were written by different enumerators (all male) at 10 year intervalls and with no need of access to the previous records (there was nothing to transfer). This suggests, to me, that Peas/Pease was the written interpretation of local pronunciation.

19 hours ago, lilbill15 said:

Thank you very much @Jammy, I do have Plusnet broadband so all seems to be well, plus O2 is my mobile network =all bases covered? Does this mean I can only use the iPad at home, or is it as mobile as the phone? Or, is this when a SIM might be needed?  Sorry for the dopey questions 😵💫xx

You will need a sim with data if you want to use the iPad away from home. You could swap your O2 sim into your iPad if its the correct size. If it works you won't be able to receive or make phone calls. Because you have Plusnet broadband you will get a better deal on a sim, ie: more data for the normal sim price. I've had a quick look at the Plusnet site for sim only deals.

This is what I've found: - 4GB - £6, 12GB - £8, 20GB - £20 - £10 on a 30 day rolling contract plus on any deal you will get an extra 2GB because you are a Plusnet broadband customer. You can use your iPad at home to access the site and speak(type) to someone to ask about the suitability of their sims for an iPad. I'm sure the sim will be ok. Also, you may find a Plusnet sim will be cheaper than your O2 sim and you can keep your existing number. I changed to Plusnet from O2 for my iPhone. Plusnet use the EE network. 

Sorry, I should have typed 20GB - £10. OOPS

Edited by Jammy
Oops

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now