Past Supermarket Old Coop Department Store

Lived in Bedlington since 1993 and trying to work out how many different supermarket chains have come and gone but cant remember the name of a discount food shop that opened in old Coop building

William Low which was bought out by Tesco and closed down....Netto moved in to the builiding....then moved down to the current Morrison's

Lidl (first time around) who had the Morrison's building but moved out after a year or so

Presto which then became Safeway then Tesco

Coop department store which when closed became a discount food shop but cant remember the name then to Kwik Save then Somerfield

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webtrekker said:

There was the VG as well, somewhere beside the Grapes. 

Correct  webtrekker, that was in what is now Tallantyres shop, it was called Hay and Hindmarsh and would probably have been the first self service shop in Bedlington,  It would have been in the early seventies     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2018 at 08:34, moe19 said:

Correct  webtrekker, that was in what is now Tallantyres shop, it was called Hay and Hindmarsh and would probably have been the first self service shop in Bedlington,  It would have been in the early seventies     

I used to deliver groceries for Walter Wilson's in mid 60s, and it was self service then.

On 1/17/2018 at 10:02, Canny lass said:

I vaguely remember Beadnell's (at the top end) being self-service very early sixties. I and another pupil used to be allowed to miss school assembly on Wednesday mornings to go and buy the ingredients for the class cookery lesson.

Beadnell's - this is a comment posted by John Krzyzanowski, on Facebook Bygone Bedlington site :- 

This photo is of the row of 4 shops that were compulsory purchased in 1970 and demolished to make way for the roundabout in front of the Red Lion. The shops were Beadnell's a grocer shop that had been there since 1880. Although they got compensation the owner also lost her house. The next shop was Watsons a Newsagent, they also had a shop on Glebe Bank which they lived above, it was also demolished. They had been in business there since 1836. The other two shops were Robinson's a printers and Brentons a fruit shop. Great progress that wasn't it. 1970's "let's pull it down". Let's hope we aren't revisiting those times nearly 50 years later. I'm sure the Roundabout could have been slightly smaller and did we really need a dual carriageway ?

19466251_1439925492732849_7529633807425612327_o.jpg

A couple of ladies I know, who worked there in the late 60's, say it was a forerunner to the Supermarket = a 'Self-service' store.  A compilation of Beadnells :-

Beadnell comp.jpg

Edited by Eggy1948
  • Like 1

Another posting by John Krzyzanowski has this newspaper article on Hay & Hindmarsh Supermarket - 1949??

I have no recollection of where Hay & Hindmarsh had there shop(s)  - will Foxy have a photo with this shop in? 

hay's Supermarket.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

Another posting by John Krzyzanowski has this newspaper article on Hay & Hindmarsh Supermarket - 1949??

I have no recollection of where Hay & Hindmarsh had there shop(s)  - will Foxy have a photo with this shop in? 

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts on this topic  Eggy Hay and Hindmarch was the VG store next to the Grapes pub, and as it started self  as the article says  in 1961 it would probably have been the first self service in Bedlington.

Hay and Hindmarsh  later traded under the VG banner

Rosco mentions William Low, but it was originally Laws Supermarkets and built by laws to the Councils specification, and it was the death Nell when William low took it over.

Photo taken during the Top Club fire and the aftermath.image.thumb.jpeg.caa7f5282b1f075da5665e962c839168.jpeg

Further to Rosco comment, it was Maxi Save that moved in after William Low packed in, and you mention Netto, well Netto moved into the Lidl store that they built on the new Top Club site and when they packed up ,Netto moved in which is Morrison’s store today.

Netto were never at the top end, and as of today you can still see the Maxi window advertising on the top windows.

9 hours ago, lesmes said:

Further to Rosco comment, it was Maxi Save that moved in after William Low packed in, and you mention Netto, well Netto moved into the Lidl store that they built on the new Top Club site and when they packed up ,Netto moved in which is Morrison’s store today.

Netto were never at the top end, and as of today you can still see the Maxi window advertising on the top windows.

Before Netto moved in to the old Lidl store they were indeed in the old William Low store they moved in after MAXI FREEZE closed

2 hours ago, moe19 said:

Before Netto moved in to the old Lidl store they were indeed in the old William Low store they moved in after MAXI FREEZE closed

Netto were in before Maxi Freeze they moved in after William Low

Edited by rosco

1 hour ago, lesmes said:

One is never to old to learn Moe, and thank you for putting me right on that, but pray tell me how long where they in there.

I rekon about two or three years, some of the girls who work in Morrisons now worked in Netto when it was at the top end 

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now