Past Supermarket Old Coop Department Store

Hello again Moe

Yes, down glebe road and would say around the Silverlink car show room spot, and they were the same company as Moore’s Stores that someone has mentioned.

Very good for their general groceries broken biscuits etc, but quite expensive to most.

2 hours ago, moe19 said:

Can anyone remember Thompson's  stores

1 hour ago, lesmes said:

Hello again Moe

Yes, down glebe road and would say around the Silverlink car show room spot, and they were the same company as Moore’s Stores that someone has mentioned.

Very good for their general groceries broken biscuits etc, but quite expensive to most.

Another photo from @John Fox (foxy) that was posted on Facebook back in 2015 :- 

20934185_1372093686243986_2570559437814163955_o.jpg

And according to Joyce Scott (really it's Shep from Burnside using his partners Id) on the Facebook Bedlington remembered site answering a question :- how long has jakes bar been derelict - he replied - 'Originally it was Thompson Stores many moons ago, but prior to Ivan having it, it was run as a cafe by a local lass who still has family around the station although she died.'

Jakes.png

Edited by Eggy1948
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, lesmes said:

Hello again Moe

1971: Acquires the McColl confectionary chain of 422 shops, giving cashflow required for 14.5m takeover of major house-hold name Bovril, followed by Wright's Biscuits and Moore's stores and a controlling stake in Anglo-Continental

http://www.sirjamesgoldsmith.com/timeline/

Life is full of unappreciated connections!  ;)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lesmes said:

Hello again Moe

15 hours ago, threegee said:

http://www.sirjamesgoldsmith.com/timeline/

Life is full of unappreciated connections!  ;)

Forgot to mention the famous RED stamps that you got !

This was hanging in the National Portrait Gallery she was the daughter of J. Todd Thompson of Hartford Hall, Bedlington, the founder of Thompson's Red Stamp Stores

http://www.damelauraknight.com/artwork/patricia-daughter-j-todd-thompson-1932/ 

A few interesting snippets halfway down the page on here

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1212285&page=61

Edited by moe19

1 hour ago, moe19 said:

This was hanging in the National Portrait Gallery she was the daughter of J. Todd Thompson of Hartford Hall, Bedlington, the founder of Thompson's Red Stamp Stores

Ah, yes, yet another nationally recognised family that was a representative of free enterprise and job creation that Bedlington has honoured with a street name or memorial - not!  When I mentioned the shameful treatment of the Gooch and Longridge legacy being the product of political myopia some while ago I was ridiculed.  I feel that the whole thing goes far deeper, and that our town is now very much poorer (and a lot more obscure) simply because of leftist political dogma.  If we are waiting for the teaching profession to rectify this then we are in for a very long wait!

• Like 1

On 19/01/2018 at 18:46, webtrekker said:

Certainty can. At the top of the 'raa's.' 

Used to be more or less opposite Begbie's garage. Wasn't Muters pop factory somewhere behind Thompson's stores, or is my memory failing me? 

Muters pop factory was at Bedlington stn. Elliots pop factory was behind Thompson's stores.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, moe19 said:

I can also remember a pop factory on the site of the old Pit at Choppington/Scotland Gate, was it Woods ?

I think so and did'nt they then move to Morpeth!

Nobody remembers HINTON on the west End, so maybe you remember the Meadow Dairy on the east end roughly about the Chinese takeaway   (also Walter Willsons two doors along)

And while I am at it, the coop big as it was opposite Fleming’s dentist which was a busy store in its day and sold about everything.

Bit more for Roscoe, All around 60s/70s

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now