PETITION: Flying the flag once again!

threegee

22 hours ago, threegee said:

I  think CL needs to think a little more deeply on the matter: at least as deeply as those on the Brussels gravy train.

There’s nothing more to think about 3g. Thomas Barnes has petitioned the British Government suggesting “Union Jack to appear on British number plates after March 2019.” A link to that petition appeared on this thread. I am responding to that thread.

My first reaction on reading the petition was that it seemed like a very strange request, for two reasons.

Firstly, I have a former colleague in Wales who proudly displays the Welsh dragon on her number plate though, if I’m honest, this is more related to displaying the fact that she is Welsh – and not English.

Secondly, many, many years ago I was a Girl Guide. One of the first things I was taught in the guides was ‘respect’ for the Union Flag. I was also taught how to show that respect, by handling it carefully, keeping it clean, folding it in the correct manner and so on. I was never lead to believe that any measure of respect was statutory.

While the former made me realize that it is in fact possible to have other flags on British number plates the latter made me realize how old my knowledge of flag etiquette had become. I wondered if the situation had changed since I was a girl, so I thought a little more deeply – and indeed took the time to even look a little more deeply – into the matter. The results of my research are posted above. The sources are reliable. Indeed, one of those sources, the British Government, is the very instance being petitioned!

I also reacted to the claim that “everyone” has lost their national pride –deduced from the statement “to give everyone a sense of national pride once again”  - the “once again” suggesting that “everyone” once had national pride and that this has  been lost. I’m a British citizen, and therefore included in that “everyone”, but I have not lost my national pride. I doubt if many Brits have. Given the triviality of the cause of the said loss of national pride, the lack of a flag on a number plate, I could almost take umbrage at being included. I have seen no evidence during my visits to Britain or in my contact with British people that British pride is even dwindling, let alone lost. British tourism has never been better – much thanks to British national pride. It’s Britain’s national pride that makes Britain so very, very British.

To my eyes, all that is shown by this petition is that some 0,016% of the British population are ignorant of their rights in relation to British registration plates.

Yup, "the science is settled".  That's apart from the fact that anything that IS settled isn't science.  Strange days we live in!

• Like 2

"Strange days we live in!" Got it in one, bonny lad!

As for the rest, I’m just a tad perplexed as to what, if any, relevance science may have to the topic of number plates and flags but I think you may be getting them (number plates and flags) confused with anthropogenic global warming (I read newspapers too).

Shallow thinking CL - the sort beloved by the left.  A club where membership requires you to hold two self-contradictory views in your head at the same time, and convince yourself that both accurately represent reality.

Amusing that Manfred Weber has stood up in the EU parliament in the last few days and deployed exactly the same spurious argument that you've deployed in the number plate debate.

“The most drastic example for the lack of leadership is probably the debate about the colour of the passports in Great Britain. 

“Just before Christmas, Prime Minster May announced that after Brexit Britain would return to the blue passport. This would be to quote ‘an expression of the UK’s independence and sovereignty.   

“The first problem in this respect is about honesty. The whole story is a scam. 

“EU law does not say anything about passport colours. Croatia has navy blue passports for years already. You didn’t have to leave the union for that. So why do you not tell the people the truth?”

Needless to say the shallow Verhofstadt though this was another hilarious example of British stupidity. 

• Like 1

Sorry, I don't have any medicine to take, and the pretty young oncologist seemed quite happy when she looked over the medical tests on Monday morning.  Good for another year, subject to another MRI which is proving difficult due to funding problems here, was the verdict.  I might pay the clinic for it myself, but as we've just paid a wodge of income tax to help prop up yet another failing Eurozone economy, I was rather expecting a little of it back.

Have you read the Swedish government pamphlet delivered to your house about what to do when war breaks out between the EU and Russia?  "Duck and cover" is it?

• Like 1

On 2018-01-16 at 13:50, threegee said:

Shallow thinking CL - the sort beloved by the left.  A club where membership requires you to hold two self-contradictory views in your head at the same time, and convince yourself that both accurately represent reality.

Please explain further. You lost me at "two self-contradictory views".

On 2018-01-16 at 13:50, threegee said:

Amusing that Manfred Weber has stood up in the EU parliament in the last few days and deployed exactly the same spurious argument that you've deployed in the number plate debate.

Which spurious argument would that be? Please enlighten me.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now