WW1 Private James Bonner Archbold

Harry

I have been searching for the above.He was born in Bedlington joined the 24 th Northumberland Fusiliers and was killed in action 1:7:16.His sister Alice Dodds lived at 34 Victoria Terrace Bedlington.

i am trying to find anything known about this brave soldier.

harry

Harry - am I right in  assuming this is the same request that was on the Bedlington Facebook group sites and so you are already aware of the project that the Bedlington Community Center was doing in connection with Bedlington soldiers and Rememberance Day? 

12 hours ago, Harry said:

Thanks Eggy,

yes it is the same one but I was unaware of the project.can you enlarge please?

harry

@Harry - I do not have any experience of the work that has been done but these are comments that have been posted on the Bedlington Facebook groups Bygone Bedlington  & Bedlington Remembered :-

Pam Ashdown - Hi Anne , l am a member of " Bedlington Creatives " we did a " Map of Remembrance " of Bedlingtonshire . A poppy , for each soldier that didn't come home , was embroidered their name and put on the map ! We have it displayed in the Community Centre , for the service of remembrance ! I will check if his poppy is there ! One of our members does a lot of research & we are hoping to complete the poppies for the Second World War !

Glenda Goodwitch There is also a memorial inside St Cuthbertson church but in a side room that is not open all the time - I think it is for coal company workers who went to war - I found my great uncles name on that - might be worth a try if it's not on the memorial outside the community centre 

Glenda Goodwitch Ann - would this help? Just posted by St Cuthberts Church in Bedlington . . .
St Cuthbert is open on Wednesday and Thursday mornings - 10am-1pm - if you'd like to drop-in and have a coffee and a chat, say a prayer, look at the Memorial Chapel and Tyneside Scottish WW1 enlistment records or book a christening or wedding. All are welcome. We also have coffee mornings 10am-12pm on the first Saturday of every month.

http://www.bedlingtoncommunitycentre.co.uk/contact-us.html

Poppy map.jpg

Thank you Eggy,

I have had positive responses to the Facebook entry....for which I am extremely grateful..I am not on Facebook...it was kindly put on by some friends.

However despite all theses efforts this soldier remains a man of mystery.

Records show that a James  Archbold joined the 13th Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers.51 day’s later he was discharged as being unsuitable.

on 1:7:16 24/395 ..Northumberland Fusiliers James Bonner was K.I.A at La Boisselle France.He has no known grave.

in October 1915 James Bonner ..Corporal..Northumberland Fusilers married Margaret Miller.

After he was killed his widow Margaret collected his effects.he is shown on the effects register as 24/395 Bonner.

i speculate that these are one and the same...newspaper articles in early August 1916 show that 395 Bonner had been killed.

james Bonner Archbold late of Bedlington has been killed.

unfortunately without further evidence to connect the two my speculation remains just that..speculation.

As said...any further information ...to link the two..would be appreciated.

thank you for responding.

Harry

• Like 1

If you are a member of Ancestry.com you will find quite a bit information on James Bonner Archbold. He appears in the Archbold – Dodd family tree. It shows where he lived with his sister Alice A Archbold and other family members in the 1891 and 1901 census. You appear to be more interested in his army service and the records below are copied from the Archbold – Todd tree.This information may not be correct but it looks pretty convincing.

UK, Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Soldier Service Records, 1760-1920

Name James Bonner Archbold

Age 18

Birth Date abt 1886

Birth Place Bedlington Northumberland

Service Start Year 1904

Regiment Gordon Highlanders

Regimental Number 9551

Attestation Paper Yes

Global, Find A Grave Index for Burials at Sea and other Select Burial Locations, 1300s-Current

Name Pvt James Archbold

Death Date 26 May 1915

Cemetery Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial

Burial or Cremation Place Ypres (Ieper), Arrondissement Ieper, West Flanders (West-Vlaanderen), Belgium

Has Bio? N

URL http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=10868064&ref=acom

The Menin Gate is a mausoleum. It pays tribute to those servicemen whose bodies were never recovered. The internal walls are engraved with the names of those who have no known grave

Edited by James
  • Like 1

might be worth looking at the London Gazette for that era - bit of a long shot but might have some names attached re location/date etc that could open up further avenues of research. (one of the most bizarre areas of information is if you can find football notices of regimental teams as the home team is always shown first - ergo you know which regiment was where on that date)

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now