Anvil Inn Guide Post

Rigger

Hi

I have attached a photo of the Anvil Inn.  My Great Great Grandfather, William Johnstone was the landlord  there 1901 for a few years.  Does any one any more photos or information about this Inn? the man in the photo could be my grandfather, died 1917 WW1

William Bruce Johnstone at Guide Post.jpg

• Like 1

@Rigger - just searched the Sixtownships History Group site and this photo that shows The Anvil Inn was posted by John back in 2015. A comment from John says he has some more info but I can't find a subsequent posting on the site with additional info :- 

Lee Routledge Is that what then became the Queens head? Would love to see a detailed map or something of the layout of the old Guidepost compared to how it is now.

John Dawson
John DawsonGroup admin Yes it was Lee. Will post the full story of the Queens, Anvil Inn, and the Bedlington Terrier as there is a connection. Sadly they are in the history books. We'll mine, and will be left for future generations along with my other archives.
Clair Louise Todd

Clair Louise Todd I have brought some of it back to the area, I bought some of the stone from the demolition and am using it to finish the renovation of my house in cambois. The rest of it is in a big heap at a reclamation yard in Blaydon 1f641.png:(

Guidepost with Anvil Inn c1910.jpg

Queens Head, Guide Post after conversion from the Anvil Inn...
The old Queends was demolished and with the Anvill standing empty it was decided to rename it and alter the building and call it the Queens Head...

Queens Head was the Anvil Inn.jpg

Joe Lawson (Holding Horses Head.Outside Queens Head, Guide Post

The Queens Head, Guide Post, was situated where the roundabout is today. It was demolished to make way for the roundabout. The man holding the horses head is Joe Lawson who was a master mason, and responsible with the help of others of the building of Storey's Buildings, Choppington, and many other streets in our locality. Joe Lawson was also responsible for the building of the High Main Stables in the Bothal Pit, and also assisted in the building of the first Stakeford Bridge in 1909.
It is also interesting to note that at the end of a Lodge Meeting of the West Sleekburn miners at the Lord Barrington Inn, Stakeford, on October 15th, 1890, the chairman, Mr. James Hunter, referred to the desirability of having a bridge built over the river at Stakeford.
The first meeting was held at the Grand Hotel, Ashington, and the first committee formed comprised, James Hunter, William Tait (secretary) R. Lowther, M. Ferguson, W. Simpson, A. Cummings, J. Snowdon, P. Shaw, J. Ord, A. Hunter and E. Young, all from West Sleekburn and Stakeford. North Seaton was represented by Mr. Wheatley (ferryman) J. Johnson, G. Johnson, Mr. Young, A. Black and W. Trotter. From Cambois, J. McAllister, D. Wilkinson, T. Round and T. Agnew.
Bedlington were represented by Andrew Fairbairn, H. Sadler, J. Cramer, John Cain, Mr. Eddington, Mr. Laws, and Mr. Moralee. Mr. Ralph Young was the only person to represent Newbiggin.
It was on September 11th, 1909, that the bridge was finally opened. To commemorate the event, a bronze tablet was fixed to the eastern side of the bridge which bore the inscription: Stakeford Bridge, opened September 11th, 1909. Committee: John Bell, William Collins, James Cowan, John Craigs, John Cramer, Peter Dickinson, Alderman Andrew McHugh, Robert Nicholson, Ralph Rutherford, Henry Sadler, James Strong, William Tait, John Wilkinson, John Willis, Herbert Wilson, E. Charlton, engineers D. Balfour & Sons, contractors Brim & Co.
When the ceremony was completed the company went to the North Seaton Hotel where tea was served.

Queens Head was the Anvil Inn2.jpg

Queens Head 2009 - Google street view :-

Queens Head 2009.jpg

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/once-popular-local-guidepost-pub-queens-7857229

Once-popular local Guidepost pub the Queen's Head is flattened

Sadness at the demolition of the former Queen's Head pub at Guidepost, with plans in for a convenience store in its place - 14:25, 30 SEP 2014

Queens demolition.jpg

Google Street view - 2016 Nisa

Queens Head 2016.jpg

Edited by Eggy1948

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Newbedders said:

Took my future wife there on our first date, and I had to travel from Wallsend whereas she came from Bedlington.

Did you get to Guidepost via bus or car - bus would be a long trip - Wallsend to Newcastle and change for a 16 mile trip to Guidepoost:)

2 hours ago, Damian Robson said:

Here is a link to a video I made during the demolition of the Queens Head.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ck54w

@Damian Robson - couldn't get your link to play the video so I reposted the link.

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Thank you for reposting the link, it wasn't clickable when I first posted. Originally the video was on Youtube but they muted the audio track because of copyright, so had to find another site, upload and share. Looking back, I have some great memories of the Queens Head and miss the place a lot. Since the NISA was built, I've only been in twice and it feels wrong going in when I was so against the closure and demolition. I can't turn back the clock and change time but decided to keep the memory of the Queens Head pub alive and share my love  in a short video and share with you guys.

Damian.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Did you get to Guidepost via bus or car - bus would be a long trip - Wallsend to Newcastle and change for a 16 mile trip to Guidepoost:)

Couldn’t drive then so it was the bus, and yes it was a long journey but worth it🙂

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

This is a pic outside of the Anvil circa 1900. My Great, a great grandad, JOSEPH Davison, 2nd from right at the front with the Guide Post Mining Dancers. He had 2 daughters Florence and Mary, later married to Ned Burn. Found this while researching my family tree. 

(back row, left to right):  Dyker Simm, Ned Steward, Joe Rook. V (Front row, left to right):  Jackie Cuthbertson – the Betty – Geordie Brown, Punch Nichol, Harry Mockett, Bill Simpson, Joe Davison (her father) and Jackie Davy – the Punch.

received_461457445090240.jpeg

Edited by Geoff Nacht Engel Davison
  • Like 1

What a great photo.  In 1901, my great great Grandfather William Johnstone, originally from Scotland,  was the 'Innkeeper' at the Anvil Arms.  In the Inn at this time were his second wife Jane Johnstone (nee Gibson), his son James Johnstone (Blacksmith), Elizabeth Gibson , age 29, and William Bruce Johnstone a butcher and then miner who died in 1917 in WW1.

14 hours ago, Geoff Nacht Engel Davison said:

This is a pic outside of the Anvil circa 1900. My Great, a great grandad, JOSEPH Davison, 2nd from right at the front with the Guide Post Mining Dancers. He had 2 daughters Florence and Mary, later married to Ned Burn. Found this while researching my family tree. 

(back row, left to right):  Dyker Simm, Ned Steward, Joe Rook. V (Front row, left to right):  Jackie Cuthbertson – the Betty – Geordie Brown, Punch Nichol, Harry Mockett, Bill Simpson, Joe Davison (her father) and Jackie Davy – the Punch.

received_461457445090240.jpeg

I like ned Stewart, middle back row, never mind the photo opportunity get me beer topped up👌

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now