Block to Black

threegee

So... "Black Friday" is almost gone, and despite looking and looking I've resisted all temptation.  Perhaps temptation is too strong a word, because I've hardly been interested in anything on offer let alone persuaded to reach for my credit card.

Have I finally reached maturity at this ripe old age?  Is it just that BF isn't what it originally was?  Have I already got too many gismos/books/videos?  Is this a first step down the path to taking up holy orders even?  Or - as I strongly suspect - am I not alone in shunning yet another, and increasingly dreary, consumer fest?  Oh, hang on: before attempting an answer to any of these profound questions I must break off for a few minutes to do another quick search for bargain Chromebooks. ;)

• Like 1

"Is it just that BF isn't what it originally was?"

That would be the Friday before Christmas, then, when people routinely get pissed and end up having a fight? Given it's only been a retail phenomenon in the UK for the past 10 (if that) years, it's of little surprise you (like me) are far from interested! In fact, I'll try my best to avoid shops from now until after the New Year! Some good offers on Chromebooks online.

Black Friday - Christmas - Presents - Goodwill to all, whats all that about?

Chromebooks - I have a 9 year old Desktop PC, with massive screen and keyboard, running Windows Vista that allows me to access all I need so I must be saving there. 

But if I don't buy anything for this festive period have I saved more than everyone else? Or have I already bought everything I need, in the January sales, years before BF was introduced, and have therefore saved even more. 

As I appear to have everything I require to content myself on a daily basis should I therefore distribute all that I have saved to those that don't have the things they require to to fulfill their daily needs? 

If we all distribute our savings to those that need it today will we be able to replenish our savings to ensure that in the future, when the recipients of generosity need to replace what they were given in the first instance, we have sufficient replenished resources to fulfill their future needs? 

Should we buy a load of xmas cards, where the retailers are giving 10% off every purchase to a worth while charity, or should should we stop buying xmas cards and stop posting them to people we could actually wish them well when we next see them, therefore saving us loads of money to pass on to those that need it, like the Royal Mail employees who will be out of work if we stop doing it?

Should we just ignore the rest of the world and spend our money on BF for  our family? Shower them with loads of gifts,  on one day of the year, and  keep industry churning out goods that those that can afford to buy to fulfill their day. When we tire of the goods we can pass them on to the charity shops so the less fortunate can buy old stuff at prices they can afford.

OR rather than buy from the charity shops they could go out on BF and buy the goods new at charity shop prices. Sorted, and it hasn' t cost me a penny. Just a bit of my time to work through the meaning of BF.

One fine day, in the middle of the night,                                                                                                                                                                                              two dead men got up to fight.                                                                                                                                                                                                              Back to back they faced each other,                                                                                                                                                                                                 drew their swords and shot each other.

What we need is a great big melting pot
Big enough to take the world and all it's got
And keep it stirring for a hundred years or more
And turn out coffee colored people by the score.

Doobe Do Do, Doobe Doobe Do Do, what a glorious feeling I'ts Black Friday again, just singing and dancing, in the rain, Doobe Do Do, Doobe Doobe Do Do...................

:)

4 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

Should we buy a load of xmas cards, where the retailers are giving 10% off every purchase to a worth while charity, or should should we stop buying xmas cards and stop posting them to people we could actually wish them well when we next see them, therefore saving us loads of money to pass on to those that need it, like the Royal Mail employees who will be out of work if we stop doing it?

This year, due to a 33% increase in overseas postage, the cost of posting a Christmas card is now approx £2.45. That price increase will put our postage bill at a little under £250. Now, I may have an unusually long Christmas card list due to having friends all over the world (a side-effect of the careers we both chose). I may also think it's nice to receive a card and I may like to think that my cards are received with the same sentiments. However, I also like to think that I'm loved and thought about at times other than Christmas, without the need for a card which expresses that sentiment and I hope my friends think likewise. 

Given the state of the world today with wars, natural disasters and widespread hunger, we think that this postage money can be put to use in better ways. The postal companies are rich enough. For this reason, we have decided to stop sending Christmas cards, at least by post - e-mail is ok - and use half the postage cost to purchase life-saving gifts to give somebody else a bit of Christmas joy.

This year we are buying food and warmth (things we take for granted not only at Christmas but all year round) in the form of nut paste to save children all over the world from malnutrition and some hats and gloves to keep Syrian children warm. We are urging as many of our friends as possible to do likewise so, as I think of all of you as my friends, I'm asking you to consider joining me in this venture. You can find life-saving gifts to suit every pocket at:

http://market.unicef.org.uk/inspired-gifts/

Think twice before lining the pockets of the Royal Mail. There are plenty of children without a coat, let alone a coat with pockets to line!!

Edited by Canny lass
  • Like 1

On 25/11/2017 at 12:44, Newbedders said:

In the NHS we call it “black eye Friday”

That's the one! Always loved that mentality: finish work for the holiday, go out and get p****d, call someone's pint something horrible, get punched. Magnificent pre-Christmas night out.

You couldn't manage a bit of snow on the pit heap, could you? It would look quite 'Alpine'. Do that and I guarantee that I will have this card in 18 different countries before Christmas.

PS I think Wilf could put in an appearance as well. He's quite Christmassy!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Canny lass said:

You couldn't manage a bit of snow on the pit heap, could you? It would look quite 'Alpine'. Do that and I guarantee that I will have this card in 18 different countries before Christmas.

PS I think Wilf could put in an appearance as well. He's quite Christmassy!

I think my level of clarting has reached it's limited - these aren't very good but the best my shaky hands can produce :- 

A Pit Heap from Vulcan Place2 with snow2.jpg

A Pit Heap from Vulcan Place2 with snow with wilf.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Well done, even if I think Wilf's a bit early with his new year 'carry oot'! I know that China will love this and it'll be interesting to see how some of the others react. I'll let you know.

Wheeeeeeeeeee - Bedlington, and possibly Wilf, is going global :D:D:):):D:D:beer:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now