Alma Inn

My great grandfather owned the Alma Inn and some cottages in Glebe Row. I have a copy of the valuation for probate dated 1935. The property was finally sold by the family in 1947. I was interested to see a picture of the Alma Inn on your site and thought these two scans may be of interest local historians, they give a detailed description of the properties 

alma.jpg

alma1.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks @Richard Allan - I'm no historian, but I do help with a Facebook group site of Bedlington and there are often questions asked about the Glebe Road properties - this info will come in handy:D

I'm not saying there is any new info that you might find but have you used the 'Search' facility on this site to find any postings on the Glebe Row & Road?

When you say ".....  I was interested to see a picture of the Alma Inn on your site........" does that mean you found the picture?

Edited by Eggy1948

10 hours ago, Richard Allan said:

A Google image search for "alma inn bedlington" brought me to one of the composite pictures of drinking establishments that you put up on the website. It is rather small but I now have some idea of what it looked like.

@Richard Allan - I can't remember where I found that small image of the Alma Inn. However long after I had completed my drinking establishments project, when I purchased the book - BEDLINGTONSHIRE (The Archive Photographs Series) by the local historian Evan Martin, I found a larger image, of the same photo in the book. The text associated with the photo is the only piece in the book on the Alma Inn and in this photo you can make out the words FOOD OFFICE but I think anyone would have struggled to identify that name if it hadn't been pointed out :- 

Alma pub Glebe bank with text.jpg

Edited by Eggy1948

was the Alma still open (as a food office) in the early fifties? I have vague recollections of going there with my older sister to get National dried milk - in a blue and white tin, cod-liver oil, a foul tasting orange juice concentrate and a wonderful malt 'extract' sold in earthenware jars. I think it was called 'Virol'. 

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

was the Alma still open (as a food office) in the early fifties? I have vague recollections of going there with my older sister to get National dried milk - in a blue and white tin, cod-liver oil, a foul tasting orange juice concentrate and a wonderful malt 'extract' sold in earthenware jars. I think it was called 'Virol'. 

Only ever seen comments, by Facebook members, that would suggest the Food office was used in the earl 50's whilst the food rationing was still in operation during 1953 -54.

I can't recall been given Virol, just rose hip syrup and I think that was only after my sister was born in 1955.

This is a comment by one of the members on Bedlington remembered :- 

Lawrence Pattison The Alma Inn was on Glebe Rd. it was about opposite Taits ice cream shop [now car parts ]. The Alma became the Food Office during WW2 I remember going there with my Mam to collect new ration books. Shows my age but I was young then.

BBC ON THIS DAY. 4th July 1954: Housewives celebrate end of rationing. Fourteen years of food rationing in Britain ended at midnight when restrictions on the sale and purchase of meat and bacon were lifted.

my father -in-law's last ration book :- 

Ration Book 1953.jpg

Virol.jpg

Edited by Eggy1948

2 hours ago, Canny lass said:

a foul tasting orange juice concentrate and a wonderful malt 'extract'

Loved them both.

The orange juice bottle was very "square" my dad taught me the wonders of a spirit level using one of those! Ah! the things that you remember that mom and dad passed on. 

Sorry for the drift from the Alma Inn. (I couldn't resist before I forgot!)

I wasn't imagining my visits then! I would have been 5 or 6 years old at that time. That's certainly the 'Virol' jar I remember but looking at those photos I now think it was maybe a manufacturer's name rather than the name of the product. I can't imagine bone marrow tasting like sticky toffee - not even in my wildest dreams! They must have made several different products.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now