Todd's Barbers

Hi Folks!

If you need a haircut,go to Todd's Barbers at the  top-end,which was formerly run by Alan and John.

You get a gud haircut,with a gud crack from Leanne,who now run's the shop,and the shop itself is a mine of interest..[no pun intended!]

Aal thi best wishes to her and hope she is there for many a year!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Any relation to Mrs Todd who had the wet fish shop on Front Street West until the mid/late 1960's?  Pretty much the left hand side of where the TSB is today.

1 hour ago, threegee said:

Any relation to Mrs Todd who had the wet fish shop on Front Street West until the mid/late 1960's?  Pretty much the left hand side of where the TSB is today.

I wa tempted to ask if it was any relation to Sweeney - but I thought better of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

I wa tempted to ask if it was any relation to Sweeney - but I thought better of it.

I'm tempted to reply...  sausages - but I won't! ;) 

Noo.....!!....aa was tempted ti ask her if Sweeney was any relation,an aal,but she probably wudda thowt a meant him wi the bullnose Jag!!..[too young ti knaa owt aboot THE Sweeney!!!!]

Seriously,a worked with Her Dad a few times at Ashington pit,afore it closed,and they were our neighbours alang at Stakeford,afore a moved away 17 years ago.

Noo Ashington pit closed in 1987,so aav knaan Leanne's parents a lang time,but only found out who she was when a went ti get me hair cut,and found that she was thier Daughter...she wudda been a wee bairn when a lived alang there.

She's a real pleasant lass,gud at her job,and the walls in the shop deserve a visit even if ye dinna get ya hair cut!!

Loads of old historical pics of Bedltn,and the Dr Pit,as weel as ancient haircutting tools etc!!

Noo the time aam on heor,will the Mods please tell me why aa hev a notification that APPROVAL is required  before me post can be put up..[in another topic...]?...hev a been a bad lad sumtime?!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

Not much hair to work with now but that little bit still keeps the noggin warm, I don't usually wear a hat but have warn a tuque this week on my daily walk, -18c, (keeps the lugs warm too!) 

Wor lass thinks +18c is cold - she keeps turning the heating up and over the recommend level, 21c, for OAPs !! Iv'e told her if she feels cold to stop lounging and dust vigorously to warm herself and the room up.

It's getting late and I'm still waiting for me 10 o'clock with ginger snaps:mellow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

Have you tried moving your armchair nearer the stove?

I did ask her to CL but she hasn't found the time to do it, yet:huh: perhaps after she has finished making a fresh batch of soup, for freezing, and the prepared and served lunch she might just have time before she washes up and settles down, before supper :D

Looking forward to xmas, she might just get some time saving device that has a ginger snap alarm fitted! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/11/2017 at 15:16, Eggy1948 said:

I did ask her to CL but she hasn't found the time to do it, yet:huh: perhaps after she has finished making a fresh batch of soup, for freezing, and the prepared and served lunch she might just have time before she washes up and settles down, before supper :D

Looking forward to xmas, she might just get some time saving device that has a ginger snap alarm fitted! 

.....er......a think ye did a typo there noo....Eggy,it's not spelt "CL" ...it's spelt.....HPW....!!!!!

A went owa ti North Seaton a few days ago,ti gaa ti the "PlumbCentre,[beside Frank's Carpet warehoose],and tha was a notice in thi windae saying closed doon!

So a nosed aroond the units,and found "FLAME",opposite Cavendish Kitchens.

It's run by a lad caaled Gary,and even though a wasn't buying owt,a just wanted sum info,he was real pleasant and sociable,and gave me the time of day wi sum gud advice,even though he's phone was ringing,he let me finish wat aa was asking him.

Aal be gaan ti him when a need any plumbing bits and bobs...as ye dae...!

Well recommended!

Noo,just this afternoon,a went ti Swarland Motor Parts,doon Glebe Road,up from Leanne Todd's Barber shop,ti collect a parcel delivery by UPS,[an online click and collect order].

Alan,who runs it,was exactly the same as Gary at "FLAME",and Leanne,the barbaress!!!

Top marks for these guys,they knaa who ti treat people,like they were thier only customers....that's a dying oot skill nooadays!!!

A like ti gie credit where it's due!

• 3 months later...

A was in Leanne's [Todd's Barber's],thi day gettin a couple o' aggravating hairs cut off the back o' me heed...[waat's caaled a "Haircut"!],and she still has a gud bit crack,very pleasant,while mekkin a grand job o' me heed....a luk like a aad chep noo!

Yistidi,a went ti pick up sum Croc Clips at "John's Car Parts",at the Station,[was the aad Post Office wen aa was young],and the youngin who runs it noo,[John's Son],gave me the time of day wi a gud crack also,and a friendly approach!

He gaa's by the  title of "J.P."

Also yistidi,a went aroond ti Barrington M.O.T. Centre,ti ask George,the Owner,if he would check oot a few problems aav got wi me car.

Stryght away he had me car up on the Fower-Poster,checked things oot,dropped it doon,gave me a valid and honest opinion,

which a accepted,and aam gaana tek he's advice.

Smashing team,him and Jean,[he's Wife],and the fitter also.

Recommend them ti anybody,me next door Nyghbor has gone ti them for years and recommended them ti me and me Son.

1 hour ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

A was in Leanne's [Todd's Barber's],thi day gettin a couple o' aggravating hairs cut off the back o' me heed...[waat's caaled a "Haircut"!],and she still has a gud bit crack,very pleasant,while mekkin a grand job o' me heed....a luk like a aad chep noo!

Yistidi,a went ti pick up sum Croc Clips at "John's Car Parts",at the Station,[was the aad Post Office wen aa was young],and the youngin who runs it noo,[John's Son],gave me the time of day wi a gud crack also,and a friendly approach!

He gaa's by the  title of "J.P."

Also yistidi,a went aroond ti Barrington M.O.T. Centre,ti ask George,the Owner,if he would check oot a few problems aav got wi me car.

Stryght away he had me car up on the Fower-Poster,checked things oot,dropped it doon,gave me a valid and honest opinion,

which a accepted,and aam gaana tek he's advice.

Smashing team,him and Jean,[he's Wife],and the fitter also.

Recommend them ti anybody,me next door Nyghbor has gone ti them for years and recommended them ti me and me Son.

I've got a load of car parts but nowt newer than 1929.

• 3 months later...

Yi cud set ya aan shop away caaled.." Vic the Veteran"....ner!... a mean...."Veteran Vic's car parts"..........NAA!!!!!,,,aal get it reet yit......a mean....."Vic's Veteran Car Parts"....[Prop. Veteran Vic!]....heh  heh!

[....another lead balloon!]

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...

Stakeford Lass,if you have had personal reasons to dislike Leanne,you are entitled to your opinion,but it IS sad to read comments of a personally derogative nature, which should really be kept between you and Leanne.

The fact is,she does an excellent job,is pleasant and efficient,and that's all a customer looks for in any business!

I speak well of a lot of ex-miners whose pics have been posted on the Mining threads,who I worked with,but it wasn't all hunky-dory,a thousand feet underground,and miles under the North Sea,at 12-midnight start of the shift,when a canny few lads would have just come from the club!

There were aguments...raised tempers..threats to "Gaan owa the car park at lowse",[end of shift],ti fight it oot,but it never happened ,cause we were hardened miners,who depended on each other,so disputes were forgotten within minutes usually!

There were those who I wouldn't pass the time of day with,out of the pit,as those who didn't care much for me!...but my point is,this is a great forum,and we don't want it to degenerate into a slanging match between members,in our sight!

So please,please,withdraw your comments,and if you have a negative comment to make,please do it in the right manner!!

Cheers! HPW.

Cnny Lass,i'm a bit late in catching up,had a really rough year since last April,Percy had to be re-homed,as he bonded with me,in what was his first adult mating season,in Spring,2018.

He was attacking anybody who came near me,in the garden,including my 45-yr old Son,my Wife,and LBJ,who sadly had to put to sleep on February 19th,as she had Lymphoma..Cancer in all her Lymph glands..Kidney Failure,and Arthritis.

We never found out from Jon at the Blyth Wildlife Rescue,who took him back into his care after five years with me,where Percy went.

All we hope is that he has as good a life as he did at Ally's Kingdom..!![here!]

He used to walk into the kitchen when I was either making dinner,or having my meal,sit on my foot,and wait for bits of meat,fish,cheese,apple,ye name it he woud catch it!

He is still a big miss!

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now