Councillor Wallace - An update on the Market Place site.

Russ Wallace

Thank you to the hundreds of Bedlingtonians who visited the drop-in at Bedlington Community Centre yesterday. The Arch team were amazed at just how many people came to see the plans and full marks to Arch for sending a seven strong team – the turnout meant they were all needed!

The feedback I received on the display, which was much more detailed than the previous one, was overwhelmingly positive.

For those who were unable to attend the main details were:

• A range of retailers have leased the five largest units. For commercial reasons they cannot yet be named, but they complement rather than rival our current Front Street shops.
  • Negotiations are at an advanced stage to lease the other units.
  • Work is scheduled to start in Spring 2018 and will be completed by late Autumn 2019.
  • Construction will begin with the supermarket, who will use their own design team and appoint their own builders. This is normal practice.
  • This will be closely followed by a start on the other retail units. The ‘family friendly’ pub will be the last to be built.

Although I understand scepticism behind the “I’ll believe it when it starts” comment I heard yesterday, it is now pretty certain that the development will go ahead. This would surely be a good time to look to the future and move away from the negativity which has dogged the development to date.

To help clarify the situation over the Old School site, the building is being stripped down and rebuilt. The overall delay is around five weeks with the builders confident they can make up for lost time.

Thank you for reading.

Russ

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Russ Wallace said:

Although I understand scepticism behind the “I’ll believe it when it starts” comment I heard yesterday, it is now pretty certain that the development will go ahead.

I hope there was never any doubt that it would go ahead after demolishing half the front street! 

• Like 2

On 30/09/2017 at 12:25, moe19 said:

So  hopefully we wont be seeing any more  Hairdressers, Barbers, Tattooists,  Dog-groomers or purveyors of Baccy and Booze.

plus estate agents,cafe and fast food joints 

• Like 2

On 29/09/2017 at 20:14, Russ Wallace said:

• A range of retailers have leased the five largest units. For commercial reasons they cannot yet be named, but they complement rather than rival our current Front Street shops.
  •  

https://www.aldi.co.uk/about-aldi/property/required-towns/north-east-england-north-yorkshire-and-cumbria

More cheap beans, just what we need,  how long will it be before one of the other supermarkets close, Tescos could not make it pay when they were the only store in town .

Three supermarkets can not survive in Bedlington    

• Like 1

On 01/10/2017 at 17:01, moe19 said:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/about-aldi/property/required-towns/north-east-england-north-yorkshire-and-cumbria

More cheap beans, just what we need,  how long will it be before one of the other supermarkets close, Tescos could not make it pay when they were the only store in town .

Three supermarkets can not survive in Bedlington    

Lidl is not making as much as it planned considering the size of shop.....so another supermarket wouldn't be good.....personally l much prefer Lidl over Aldi

2 hours ago, moe19 said:

Some may see it as negativity when folks views and ideas differer to the ones they hold, I see it as voicing an opinion 

... and some folks may see it as positive that anything at all is happening in Bedlington in general and at the market place in particular. I'm not a lover of either Aldi or Lidl and would have much  preferred a Sainsbury's or a Waitrose. However, you can't please everybody. and yes, I also see it as voicing an opinion as did i am sure Councillor Wallace when he started this thread. There is more to the market place development than just a supermarket but that's just MY opinion.

Edited by Canny lass

I'm not familiar with any of those shops but it is good to see some progress to the redevelopment, I just hope the localsl will support them enough to keep them there! we often don't appreciate what we have until it's gone. Our family owned supermarket changed hands this week and prices are up already.

• Like 2

I must leave this discussion here.The democratic process in this household - I booked and he payed - has decided that, after an awful year we need sun, sea and gallons of wine (not necessarily in that order). See you in a couple of weeks. Behave yourselves while I'm gone!

• Like 3

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now