Councillor Crosby - Start of a New Term.

Bill Crosby

September saw the return to normal business and in the first week I was able to attend a full Council meeting at County Hall as well as the Parish and Town Council meetings at East Bedlington and West Bedlington respectively.

Parish and Town Councillors are people from the local  community who give up a lot of their free time in an effort to enhance the area in which we all live.  Attending these meetings gives a good insight into the effort required to improve our town and it also allows members of the public to ask questions of the Councillors if they have any concerns.  I would urge everyone to take advantage of these open meetings and experience local government and the influence you can have.  To find the times of these meetings please visit www.eastbedlingtonpc.org.uk and westbedlington.org.uk.

The following week I met with Marcus Weatherly, the new senior manager at Foundry House, and also present at this meeting was a representative from Stead Lane Primary School and the Road Safety Officer from NCC.  This meeting was arranged as a result of concerns over parking at The Oval and during the meeting we were informed that a number of staff were being moved elsewhere and that 43 new parking spaces were being created.  Hopefully, when this is done, it should ease the parking problems in the area. Marcus also assured us that efforts would be made to educate staff and visitors to use the spaces available within the confines of the building rather than the road.

On Monday 18th, following complaints from residents of Terrier Close regarding parking at school drop off and pick up times, I, together with Councillor Allan Douglas, met with the Principle Programmes Officer for Highways Improvement.  As a result of this meeting, a survey is to be carried out regarding parking at these times with a view to restrictions being put in place in the near future.

On Thursday 21st, at my monthly surgery, I was visited by a resident regarding an issue in Sleekburn Ward.  I was delighted that someone had turned up to see me and, rather than just refer the resident to that Ward Councillor, since the effort had been made to attend I was more than happy to help; I hope Councillor Gobin won’t mind.

Speaking of other Councillors, I was delighted, together with Councillors Wallace, Robinson and Gobin, to support the renovation of the War Memorial in Bedlington through contributions from our Local Improvement Scheme, and I’m reliably informed that work will be starting soon and completed in time for Remembrance Sunday.

Yesterday, Saturday 23rd, the Friends of Gallagher Park organised a litter picking session and fifteen people were kind enough to give up their time in an attempt to make the park look tidier. After a good two hours work, approximately twenty bags of rubbish were collected – an excellent effort.  It will be a long-term project to tidy up the area, so hopefully it will be the start of many future efforts.  During this time, we were also serving tea, coffee and cake in The Pavilion and £18,00 was raised to swell the coffers of the FOGP.  A big well done to all concerned.

Can I also thank Bedlington Terriers FC for their donation of free tickets for the next home game to everyone who helped out on the litter pick – what a fantastic gesture.

‪Litter Pick - Gallagher Park

Finally, can I remind everyone that I can always be contacted at bill.crosby@northumberland.gov.uk or by telephone on:  07779 – 983656.

Thank you for reading.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now