Councillor Crosby - Road Traffic Collision – Victoria Terrace

Following the tragic road traffic collision on Victoria Terrace in the early hours of Saturday 19 August, I was contacted by concerned residents regarding the safety issues around that stretch of road.  Suggestions were made regarding traffic calming measures as this was considered to be an accident blackspot and, following an initial telephone discussion with Northumbria Police that weekend, I met with Superintendent Huddleston at Bedlington Police Station on Friday 25 August.

The Superintendent was kind enough to fully brief me on the investigation to-date and together we visited the scene of the collision to examine the road and the conditions.  We are fortunate in Bedlington to have quite wide roads that allow cars to pass safely even when there are vehicles parked at either side and this stretch of road is no different; in fact, whilst travelling from Ian Bell’s towards Bedlington Station, there is a good view with little obstruction of the road ahead.  It is the opinion of the Police that the road conditions in no way contributed to this tragedy.

Traffic calming measures were discussed but the issue is where to put them?  I myself have witnessed cars speeding along Hirst Villas and then onto Stead Lane and there could be an argument for traffic calming measures there also.  As you may be aware, we are constantly being told that there are no bad roads, only bad drivers, and prior to this incident, there have been only three recorded collisions over the past three years in that area, all low speed incidents and damage only.

The period between an incident and a Crown Court appearance is always the most difficult and I would ask people not to fuel rumour and speculation as to the cause but rather let the Police get on with their job and investigate this incident fully.  If anyone has any issues or concerns surrounding this matter, Superintendent Huddleston has asked me to pass on that he is more than willing to meet with anyone in order to address any matters arising.  If anyone would like to take up this offer, please let me know and I will relay it to him.

Our thoughts are with all the families affected by this tragic event.

Whenever there is a road accident, usually a serious or fatal one, there is always a clamour for road calming measures. I recall an incident in the area prior to the one in Bedlington.  Such accidents usually involve young men. I've been following a similar situation at Whitley Bay. It is inappropriate to comment on this most recent incident at this time but unfortunately, more times than not, speed and/or reckless driving is the cause.  Road calming measures, especially speed humps, won't stop these drivers but will inconvenience many  people who drive safely and within the law. My partner is disabled and travels in-situ in his wheelchair in the car. Speed humps makes that a very painful experience especially as he has arthritis in all his limbs. Recovering from an op years ago, I too suffered pain when negotiating them so there must be many others in a similar position. Travelling on a bus must also be uncomfortable. Unfortunately there is no easy answer to this problem. I've often seen speedsters in our area who could be apprehended but our current policing levels are a hindrance to  immediate action so they continue with impunity. Please resist the knee-jerk reaction for a quick fix in the form of speed humps. Note - regular speed cameras on Barrington Road do seem to encourage drivers to keep to the speed limit.

• Like 2

Maz 

It was not a accident it was a utter prick driving at high speeds taking out 5 cars 2 walls and wiping out my daughter leaving her dead in middle of road yards from her house me coming out to give first aid to the other girl to then turn around to see my daughter dead that will haunt me for bloody ever then the prick flees phones police and reports his car stolen this road is a 30 mile limit yet it's used like a race track especially at night that utter prick to take out 5 cars and 2 walls to driving way other 60 so before you say it was a accident whydont you come down here and see what carnage it's left especially on me and my son who also saw his dead sister he's only 13 !!! You stupid woman 

• Like 1

I am actually beyond furious it's not even Beth's funeral yet then 6 days after that the scum bag is up in court yet stupid are putting comments on a accident would be me pulling off my drive and a child rushes past and I don't see him or her and kill her not what he did the bloody cowardly lunatic I'm beyond livid !!!

• Like 1

Isabel, may I offer my deepest condolences. I can't begin to imagine what you are going through but I feel your pain and I understand your anger. It's a sad fact that there are, and unfortunately always will be, idiots on our roads. I am doubtful just how much 'road calming' measures can help in the fight against idiocy among drivers. I've seen  motorclists using the 'humps' as make-shift ramps, approaching them at high speed to lift the bike as high as possible before crashing down onto the road. It's not any better with alternating half road-width barriers. These I've seen used as 'slalom' tracks by both bikes and cars all at speeds much higher than the restrictions allow.

Perhaps it should it be more difficult to get a driving licence or indeed a car or bike? Perhaps we should have repeated driving tests throughout our life? I don't know what the answer is to the problem but I hope the young man who took away your daughter gets his just rewards. That will not bring back your daughter. That will not take away the great pain which you and your son are feeling but if idiots are capable of learning then hopefully they will learn something from this.

Once again, my deepest condolences.

Edited by Canny lass

Hi Isobel 

I'm really sorry if I've caused offence; that certainly was not my intention. I too have lost a child and know how awful and painful that is. My loss was through illness but I cant imagine what it must be like to lose someone so needlessly. If you re-read my comment, I stressed that I thought it inappropriate to comment on the recent incident involving your daughter for exactly the reasons you've said, rather my response was to the suggestions about what could be done to prevent reckless drivers exceeding the speed limit, with the inevitable results. Once again my apologies if my words have upset you. Please accept my sincere condolences.

I lived on rothesay just after the bend and can recall at least three incidents in ten years of cars being in my garden after racing from allgood tce down to the station but losing it after going through. This road is too wide and too long with a little chicane for the budding lewis hamiltons of this town to ignore. The police presence is laughable so physical deterrents is the only way forward. Unfortunately the call comes too late for my families friend's daughter ,maybe finally through this loss someone will listen

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now