No, you aren't imagining it!

Bedlington has a brand new shiny set of (hamster?) wheels!   More accurately: precious milliseconds of our lives are now being saved by a new state-of-the-art server.  I'm not quite sure what is going to happen to the old machine now the plug has been pulled.  Maybe it should be retired to a computer museum alongside my Teletype 33 and paper tape reader?

asr-33_vcf_02.jpg

Save a smaal place for my Motorola C 520,which is clipped to my belt every day of the year,and has been for thi last [almost!]twenty yeors!!

A knaa!..not a computer..but wud luk cute amang the teley-typers....and paper-puncher machines!

On 08/08/2017 at 20:41, Eggy1948 said:

My view is if it works, leave it alone but if you must replace it then scrap the old but only after Foxy has taken a photo.

I don't think even Foxy has a lens that long.  It's likely in the skip at the back of the Internet Exchange by now, and will be recycled into baked bean cans by Christmas.  In fact sooner or later we are all has beans!  This is the price of progress. ;) 

13 hours ago, Symptoms said:

Perhaps I'm just a pompous broadsheet faux intellectual kettled within a heaving PC crowd but, but, but ... am I the only one who is uncomfortable with 1970s humour appearing here?

Sym, if you feel like a PC rant go for it! :D  I won't be binning my selection of Carry On films any time soon though.

I briefly thought you were talking about CL's pantomime/music hall bit (more 1870 than 1970?), until clarity settled.
Only slightly deviating... It was a real scream listening to Question Time this week when the usual bunch of lefties that are held to be representative of (Highgate & Hampstead?) public opinion turned it into a competition as to who was most offended.  "I find you being offended by what I just said offends me and I have a right not to be offended..." - well they didn't precisely say that, but that was what the snowflakes were pushing at.  Laugh?  I almost fell over my floor mop!  Much of alleged offence and counter offense was during discussion of the Google story about the coder person being fired for telling the truth about gender differences - a comedy of PC circle squaring in itself.   In fact I find myself warming toward this Google ex-employee (oops - who's not non-British, gay or female, I hope!  ;))

• Like 1

eeee - recall my first step into the world of PC (noo not being falsely nice to folk ya thought were eeedjits -) 

a Sinclair - had to build it in kit form in about 1975 - then up into the heady world of power computing -- a commodore -- 20 hours of typing code to make a ball change colour and bounce about the screen...

then a real PC!! in the days of max hard drive size of an eggcup - so how come in them days we could get a whole word processer prog on a floppy - now ya need umpteen gigglebits jus to use a browser???? -- sloppy coding grrrr 

on a more disturbing note -- the classic poster of a tennis player scratching her arse - there have been rumours for years that it was a bloke in drag - be afraid lol

First computer - not mine but I did have a loan of 3 of them for 8 hrs per day in 1975 :-

1906A with 256K 24-bit words of store (650ns) including extended precision Floating Point Unit, paging, 1 high-speed channel, 5 extra slow channels.

The processor :- 

Processor.jpg

Edited by Eggy1948

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now