Staith Quay, Bank Top, Bedlington Station

Staithes Quay can be seen in between the two middle metal legs of the Bridge. 

My Great, Great Grandfather (Ernest Pulling Turner)  lived with his wife and family at Staithes Quay the early 1900's. Thes were slum houses. They later moved up the bank to Howard Terrace. 

_20170718_191347.JPG

3 hours ago, Peter Turner said:

Staithes Quay can be seen in between the two middle metal legs of the Bridge. 

My Great, Great Grandfather (Ernest Pulling Turner)  lived with his wife and family at Staithes Quay the early 1900's. These were slum houses. They later moved up the bank to Howard Terrace. 

@Peter Turner - I know you will have done loads of research and often have to wade through lots of info you already know. Although later than the period you have been looking at did you notice the comment by Reedy in the Puddler's Raa[Row] topic where his dad said about Howard Terrace becoming Glassey terrace?  

Reedy

Starting at what used to be Joe Jennings farm and shop including Mansion House now possibly 'Smiles' was Glassey Terrace. The first 7 houses were originally named Howard Terrace but the name was changed to Glassey Terrace as a result of misdirected mail as another Howard Terrace existed in Netherton.

Families living in Glassey Tce in the 1940s/1950s were - 1 - Storey, 2 - Jobson, 3 - Storey, 4 - Watson, 5 - Tait, 6 -----, 7 - Hedley, 

8 - Moscrop, 9 - Proudlock, 10 - Hedley, 11 - Andrews, 12 - Brown, 13 - Gregg, 14 - Morton, 15 - Gibson, 16 - Wonford

This photo shows the Uslar family. They lived 1, Staith Quay , Bank Top, Bedlington.

This was located down on the banks of the river Blyth, next to the railway bridge.

As you can see it's the wooden bridge. The metal bridge replaced it by 1931. 

The Usler's married in 1911 , so at a guess this photo could date between 1920- 25 

Screenshot_20170726-191238.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

@Peter Turner - there have been a few photos of the the wooden bridge, replaced in 1930 with steel bridge, but all the ones I have seen have only had proberties on the South/Bebside side of the river.

@johndawsonjune1955 posted this photo, today, on his Facebook group site - Past Times History group :-

I Wooden Bridge.jpg

I Wooden Bridge with house.jpg

Bedlington Iron Works occupied the land on the Bedlington side of the river as far east as Kitty Brewster. I don't see any buildings on the OS maps prior to 1930 but I did find a map from 1859 which shows a couple of the Iron Works buildings. One of them, nearest the bridge could be the one in the picture.

VisionofBritain.org.uk

1859 River Blyth.png

You'll need to zoom in to see it but it is there.

Edited by Canny lass

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

Is there a date for this photo?

Unfortunately it was posted with '....(date unknown).....'

Like you CL I had a look at the old maps and there is a cluster of buildings marked on the 1859 map -  two buildings marked on the 1896 map - one building marked on the 1920 map and one on the latest map they hold, 1938, but no name etc on any of the maps :(.

Busy going through Evan Martin's book - 'Bedlington Iron & Engine Works 1736 - 1867' but haven''t found any reference to buildings in that area.

1859.jpg

1896.jpg

1920.jpg

1938.jpg

@Canny lass :- can't find anything on any building where any of the Ironworks owners etc. There is a 1858 map/scaled drawing of the area but no houses on the map. The map shows a Puddlers row approximately where Melrose Avenue is now so don't know if this is accurate or this row was demolished and a new Puddlers Row.  

1858 with text.jpg

Here's another version of the 1859 map from Old-Maps.co.uk OS County series  Northumberland 1859 -1883.

There's a bit more detail and you can see quite clearly that after leaving the railway sidings at the old Puddlers Row the main line continues only a short distance before branching off into new sidings which end at the larger of the buildings you mention. My guess would be railway worksheds or industrial buildings ' possibly Bedlington Ironworks.

1859 Railway sidings Old MapsUK.png

• Thanks 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now