Your Favorite Boozer?

Blank

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest missvic
Has anyone been in the Blue Bell since it got done out yet? :blink:

I've only been once since they did it out the last time (when they took the soft seats out the back room, but left the toilets unchanged) but the IKEAness of it all was a bit too much.

Heard the Market Tavern has been done out mighty fine though! With live music at weekends and fine food too! And if the fineries in this establishment leave you feeling rough you could always join Ichiban martial arts to fitten you up... Or just leave your kids at Bedlington Bears for some rest!

Heard the Market Tavern has been done out mighty fine though! With live music at weekends and fine food too! And if the fineries in this establishment leave you feeling rough you could always join Ichiban martial arts to fitten you up... Or just leave your kids at Bedlington Bears for some rest!

:D:D:D

or, train @ ichiban WHILE the kids are at bears, then go for a pint....

Sun, North, Railway are good boozers

The Railway, now that was a good pub way back when but there all Sunderland fans that get in there now or at least thats how it seemed last time I was up there.

It was a great pub in the sixties it put Bedlington on the map with its disco and fancy lights. The lights made your pint look the colour of sump oil.

The Clayton and the Bank Top were canny pubs then, I dont know what there like today. The Red Lion was good on a Saturday night they had live music.

The Havlock was a canny pub does that still exist?

The Railway, now that was a good pub way back when but there all Sunderland fans that get in there now or at least thats how it seemed last time I was up there.

It was a great pub in the sixties it put Bedlington on the map with its disco and fancy lights. The lights made your pint look the colour of sump oil.

The Clayton and the Bank Top were canny pubs then, I dont know what there like today. The Red Lion was good on a Saturday night they had live music.

The Havlock was a canny pub does that still exist?

I remember having my first (under-age) pint in the Railway back in the late 60's - Vaux Gold Tankard - a vile mackem brew! At the time I couldn't understand why blokes liked to consume beer until I was introduced to the Blue Star stuff - Ex & Broon. Of course there was always Fed at the Market Place Club. Ah, happy days.

I remember having my first (under-age) pint in the Railway back in the late 60's - Vaux Gold Tankard - a vile mackem brew! At the time I couldn't understand why blokes liked to consume beer until I was introduced to the Blue Star stuff - Ex & Broon. Of course there was always Fed at the Market Place Club. Ah, happy days.

The Railway did Vaux Silver and Gold Tankard and true it was a mackem brew. Newcastle Exhibition now that was a pint.

Do you remeber the Disco at the Railway in the lounge, the Railway was always known as Cregies (not sure about the speeling)

In the days of Federation we used to have waiters in the clubs in the concert room, no need to stand at the bar they used to bring it to the table.

The Railway did Vaux Silver and Gold Tankard and true it was a mackem brew. Newcastle Exhibition now that was a pint.

Do you remeber the Disco at the Railway in the lounge, the Railway was always known as Cregies (not sure about the speeling)

In the days of Federation we used to have waiters in the clubs in the concert room, no need to stand at the bar they used to bring it to the table.

what people fetched you your pint! :blink: what right to the table?

Not many Makems, just the landlord and his sons.

They get the mick taken out of them all the time and aren't actually mackems so it's no reason not to go.

In: Sun, railway, north, monkey, market place club, wharton

Out: Everywhere else!

Not many Makems, just the landlord and his sons.

They get the mick taken out of them all the time and aren't actually mackems so it's no reason not to go.

In: Sun, railway, north, monkey, market place club, wharton

Out: Everywhere else!

Didn't say there was owt wrong with the Railway, what I said was the last time I was in there it was like a Mackem's pub, but it did sell Mackems beer years ago.

Didn't say there was owt wrong with the Railway, what I said was the last time I was in there it was like a Mackem's pub, but it did sell Mackems beer years ago.

what about the percy, the clayton (fight club), or the social clubs! or even the bank top or the terrier! but of course if its not the front street its not worth mentioning! :angry:

what about the percy, the clayton (fight club), or the social clubs! or even the bank top or the terrier! but of course if its not the front street its not worth mentioning! :angry:

Percy used to be a good pub but I havent been in there since 1968. Banktop used to have a good pint of Newcastle exhibition and ordinary, magic stuff. The Calyton, last time I was in there Tommy Tait was the Landlord, it used to be a Charingtons pub.

Percy used to be a good pub but I havent been in there since 1968. Banktop used to have a good pint of Newcastle exhibition and ordinary, magic stuff. The Calyton, last time I was in there Tommy Tait was the Landlord, it used to be a Charingtons pub.

tommy tait is that him who's got that ice cream van?

Was he the cross eyed ice cream fella that may have been about in the 80s?

May have been I dont know but he had a horse and cart and he sold ice cream fron the cart. I some how think he may have retired by the 80s.

Pete - I remember they used to have bands playing in the upstairs concert room at the Market Place Club every week; the girls would do their stuff around their handbags on the dance square at the front and the lads would crowd the back of the room near the long bar swilling ale (I have a vague feeling that a pint might have been either 10d or 1 shilling & 10d - ???). I seem to think that it might well have been couples sitting at the tables being 'waited-on'. Funny how the evenings usually ended-up with a 'bundle', fists flying, the cops arriving and all being turfed out onto the street.

There used to be a tanner entrance fee up the narrow staircase, although we used to avoid paying it by waiting for a crowd signing-in, slip into the bottom bar and get a pint, then slip past the old guy on the desk whilst pretending to be members (we were under-age so couldn't have cards). Worked every time.

• 3 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now