Just an idea... Heritage Walking Tours

Sounds like a fantastic idea to me. Encouraging a bit of tourism can only be a good thing and Bedlington would be an ideal base for people to explore Northumberland/Newcastle from.

Hopefully the hotel plans for Laird's House will go ahead too in the not too distant future.

Edited by Andy Millne

Who would organise walking tours :- West,  East, & Central Bedlington Town Council groups - Bedlington Local History Society etc.?

Who would know if it had already been discussed - Malcolm Robinson - Adam Hogg - Steven Young (Town Clerk?)?

1 hour ago, Eggy1948 said:

Who would organise walking tours :- West,  East, & Central Bedlington Town Council groups - Bedlington Local History Society etc.?

Who would know if it had already been discussed - Malcolm Robinson - Adam Hogg - Steven Young (Town Clerk?)?

I've no answer to that, Eggy. Perhaps a matter of cooperation between Council and history society. I didn't think to ask about the organisation of it. I could, however, suggest that the council approaches the history society. Perhaps a small remuneration could be offered to the society? I do know that none of the guides I met received any form of remuneration. They did it for their love of their town and its history. Quite a few were sprightly pensioners who enjoyed getting out and about and meeting people.

I wasn't thinking only of tourism when I suggested this. It could be a nice afternoon out for local people wanting to know a bit more about Bedlington.

• Like 1

Some of the walking tours I've done (in larger cities) have operated as free but with donations encouraged. People are often willing to donate and the guides are then motivated to be engaging and humourous as opposed to being monotonous and scripted. I'm not sure if that model would work with smaller groups but "just another idea"

4 hours ago, Andy Millne said:

Some of the walking tours I've done (in larger cities) have operated as free but with donations encouraged.

A couple of the walks we did, but not all, also said a donation could be made. These walks started and finished at the local Tourist Information Office. perhaps they were involved in the organisation?

Donations were made in a collection box in the TIO. All guides were quick to inform the group that they did not accept gratuities.

Edited by Canny lass

4 hours ago, Malcolm Robinson said:

It was an idea discussed in the late 90's when we tried to get a heritage walk through Bedlington organised to go alongside that heritage themed investment..........

Maybe it's time to dust off the cobwebs and have another bash at it? It doesn't need to be on a large scale at first.

Have a look at this Malcolm.

http://www.lightsinalingsas.se/en/lights-alingsas-story

This started off on a very small scale and now attracts visitors from all over Scandinavia. Alingsås is no bigger than Bedlington and built in a similar style with one, long main street. The first year there were only a few items  but now there are many. Maybe there's a university department in Newcastle who would be willing, and glad of the opportunity, to participate. Not a bad idea to get the town involved with sponsorship either.

I always think of Bedlington when I'm there. Board and lodgings on offer if anybody wants to experience it first hand!

• Like 1

We have a very active Tourist Centre, they offer maps and guides etc, the most popular maps are the illustrated simplified maps with walking times and distances on them.

A very popular program is "Passport to the Peaks" it wouldn't work in the Bedlington situation but the principle would, issue a passport and having it stamped at key locations, once completed  earns you a certificate.

18 minutes ago, Vic Patterson said:

We have a very active Tourist Centre, they offer maps and guides etc, the most popular maps are the illustrated simplified maps with walking times and distances on them.

A very popular program is "Passport to the Peaks" it wouldn't work in the Bedlington situation but the principle would, issue a passport and having it stamped at key locations, once completed  earns you a certificate.

Great idea to get people active, kids in particular. I know Bedlington had, and maybe still has, a town map with points of interest marked out. Malcolm posted it somewhere here when I asked about the heritage trail. However, when I enquired about where to find it I was told it was available at the council offices. In other words, Monday to Friday 9-5 (just the time when most people are looking for leisure activities). I thought it should be available in shops and pubs.

Edited by Canny lass

4 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

Thanks Andy! That's the one I was thinking about. I've just noticed (page 2), shouldn't that read 'Lairds House' instead of 'The Laird's House'?

Well spotted :). Jimmy Millne also lost an L. Hopefully they'll be corrected in the second revision. 

Right I have to admit to forcing people including Grandchildren to do the walking tour.

On one occasion we were so 'mucky' that plastic bags were needed to allow us into a car at Plessey Hartford Woods. We had walked from Westlea   Red Ash Path then Humford and along the river.. I think possibly fire clay was what stuck to our trousers. However Fish and Chips at Blyth Beach helped make the day perfect .

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now