Petty Vandalism

As a keen gardener, of the floral variety, I know just how much work goes into creating a floral decoration of that size and my heart goes out to the creator/s. Such a lot of hard work destroyed in exchange for the two minutes of pleasure gained by the person/s who wrecked it. Shame on you whoever/whatever you are!!

• Like 2

It happens just about every year, last year all the planters on the railings opposite the Northumberland Arms /outside St Cuthberts  were all pulled off and scattered in the road and footpath, local residents and children replaced and replanted them.  I also noticed planters and baskets put up by shops pulled down and destroyed.

Bring back the CTV cameras we used to have on the street .:angry: 

• Like 1

Yes. I live on the Main Street and most weekends  after kicking out time there's at least a few idiots shouting, fighting and trashing the place. It used to be there would be a couple of police cars patrolling the street at this time, does this not still happen? I don't recall seeing any. 

• Like 1

The police still patrol - I've seen them a couple of times.    I imagine that this kind of vandalism will subside as soon as the residents of Baedling Manor start settling in.   The residents will start lobbying to shut what little restaurants, pubs and bars remain on Front Street due to the noise and put the final nail in the coffin for the street - until at least the new planned development goes ahead.  This kind of tactic is seen throughout small towns and cities up and down the country. 

How Baedling Manor on Front Street was seen as a great idea is beyond me.  Such a wonderful building could have been used to boost and modernise local trade, instead they've placed a health and care home slap bang in the middle of the high street. 

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out..

• Like 2

Rich, I'm not sure what your suggesting, sounds like you think the restaurants, pubs etc are responsible for those doing the vandalism and that the vandalism is preferred to the new residents!

I dont know who these new residents are or what the use of the Manor is, yes it will be interesting to see what negative effect that will have on the front street especially the economy.

• Like 1

Saturday the 10th there were a couple of people in bus stops outside a couple of the pubs - the bus stop on the corner by the Northumberland Arms had a group of girls obviously drunk who were having a heated argument and kicking / punching the bus stop in a fury.   This isn't an isolated case and of course,  not everyone who gets drunk acts like an idiot and in this case it's a very small minority and no way are the pubs responsible for the behaviour of their clientele.  Also,  vandalism isn't specifically caused by drunks.   The vandalism should be targeted directly - where's the CCTV?  Where are the pictures of the perpetrators in local literature?    John Fox has mentioned that the CSO shift patterns stop at 10pm - it's insane,  especially with a police station a stone throw away. 

The point I was making is that putting a purpose build care home in the middle of a high street will certainly cull whatever nightlife Bedlington has left on the high street due to noise complaints etc. and night time vandalism shall certainly go down,  just as the rest of the high street will.   

If more development like this is given the go ahead Bedlington will be nothing more than a remote retirement community void of local trade,  local restaurants and pubs - a barren wasteland where the biggest concern for the residents is when the bins are supposed to go out,  it's almost managed decline.   It was good news to hear about the developments going on behind front street and I can't wait for that to be complete,  I can only hope it will stop Bedlington becoming the largest retirement home in the world.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, rich said:

The point I was making is that putting a purpose build care home in the middle of a high street will certainly cull whatever nightlife Bedlington has left on the high street due to noise complaints etc. and night time vandalism shall certainly go down,  just as the rest of the high street will.   

If this is 'purpose built' (and built  to modern standards), I doubt if the residents will hear anything at all. The idea behind having residential homes close to amenities isn't so strange. It makes it easier to keep the residents an active part of the community they live in. If it's just 50 yards to a shop, cafe or post office then many will get there under their own steam. If they need a carer with them there's more likely to be time for a 15 minute outing to buy, let's say an ice-cream, than there would be for an hour's outing from the outskirts of town. It's not such a daft idea, when you think about it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rich said:

If the "nightlife" is the cause of the vandalism then it would be good to see it curbed! Noise is not acceptable when it disturbs others, its disrespectful, vandalism isn't acceptable, ask all of those volunteers who beautify Bedlington! I hope the town centre is not relying on drunken louts for its viability. 

• Like 3

Bedlington Police - we are aware of the public interest in this incident in particular. We can't release too much as it's a live investigation. The investigation is ongoing and there has been no one charged at this point.

• Like 1

And now the children's wooden summer house has been burnt down at the Whitley memorial first school. How disgusting is that. The ones responsible need catching and stringing up. Why target small children like that? I really have no more words. Sadly it makes me a bit glad I am "ex Bedlingtonian" and I never thought I would say that.

I'm getting a bad heed trying ti work oot wat's between these scumbags' ears......

If they get pleasure from playing with fire,then I think that if they are caught and proven guilty,then they should be sat in the centre of a bonfire,and ordered to light it from the inside.....while being hand-cuffed to a steel spike securely driven into the ground.

Yes,I am very religious sometimes....."An eye for an eye....a tooth for a tooth"...."Let the punishment fit the crime"....etc..

I had better get away ti bed afore a start ranting....sickening acts of vandalism like this make me want to kill.

• 1 month later...

Well!!Exactly one month since my rant over acts of vandalism...and it seems to have killed the thread!

But it hasn't killed the vandalism.....another seat burned to a large pile of ashes up the Black Path,from the Furnace Bank car park.

The seats down by the river went a year or two ago,the one adjacent to the car park was attempted to be burned down a while ago,but is still there ....unsightly....being charred black at each end of the seat,next to the Longridge information board.....the one just up the path,about 50 yards....just a heap of charred pieces amongst the pile of ash and rubbish....[a while ago],and in the last three or four weeks,the next one up the path..just fine ash and the metal holding brackets left![oh!....and, of course,the obligatory Vodka bottle and beer cans.....empty of course......they carry them there full...and are too lazy to carry them home or put them in the bin!]

Bins!!!!....the Council no sooner put bins everywhere for public use,and within a week,the one at the Red Row junction,was literally riped off and vanished,leaving the pole and twisted metal brackets.

Most every other one I come across,seems to be twisted around as if the intention was to rip them off and been a failure....maybe by kids too weak to carry out their bit of fun....

I took pics with the intention of posting them here and on the County Council site,but haven't been able to do that as yet.

When will it end?

Rich,you want to hope that you die young and quick,and never have the need to grow old and infirm,with the need also for permanent care.....in a Care Home for the Elderly.

Maybe you have a genuine sentiment for seeing Bedlington thrive.....but it sure as hell doesn't sound like it to me!!

The very people being cared for,like Matty Hall,who EVERYBODY in Bedlington knew,is in such a home,and it was People like Matty who helped create the Community of Bedlington as we knew it and grew up here.

Now tell me....what have you contributed to Bedlington?

Rant over for another month!

Back ti me aad sel' agyen!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now