Baedling Manor

Hi Folks,just been reading a bit of historical literature about the origin of the word Baedling............!!

Who decided to name the Manor at Bedlington Market Place.........er.......and why?

Any idea Malcolm,or Adam?...or enybody else...?

Cheers!

P.S. it was a letter to the Editor in the News Post Leader that made me curious.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Who decided to name the Manor at Bedlington Market Place.........er.......and why?

Any idea Malcolm,or Adam?...or enybody else...?

The builder Barry Elliot!!!!! (nee chance, but a cud be rang) or Canny Lass? 

Er.......Eggy,aam a bit slow sumtimes wi wit,so when a see a trillion excl. marks after a statement...a assume a musta missed summik!

Wat hes Barry Elliot got ti dae wi it?and who is he?

The ancient articles aa was reading[as quotes],showed up the meaning far divorced from that which seems ti describe the origin of Bedlington's name!

Hence my curiosity!

Did anyone ever watch Pugwash wi tha wee'ens in thi aad days?

Or the competition on the back of the Corn flakes boxes,a year or two ago,to win tickets ti see the latest..[at thi time!] Star Wars film?

I leave you to ponder!

32 minutes ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Wat hes Barry Elliot got ti dae wi it?and who is he?

I think I have this right - Barry Elliot was the main contractor for the building.

I believe he still lives in the first house in the row of houses he built at South Beach and I first heard of him when I stumbled, late one night when I was in charge of the remote, on a CH4 2 part documentary on Blyth's privately run lifeboat service.

I will see if any of the documentary is online anywhere - this is a link to an article in The Journal, following the documentary :-   

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/local-news/fears-over-blyth-lifeboat-future-4400695

Think there were extracts for the documentary - Geordies Overboard -  on youtube but can't find a link to one that is still current.

This is an extract from the http://www.northeastmaritime.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7385 posting :-

Geordies Overboard.jpg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now