_pauls

Latest on Tesco site development

A pretty underwhelming update. In fact an update that doesn't actually tell us anything substantial* over the last update (from May of last year). I note "early next year" of the last update has slipped further into "summer". Would be nice to think we won't have to wait another 9 months for the next update but I won't be holding my breath.

*Except that there are new trees.

Edited by _pauls
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, rosco said:

Well if and its a big if.....work starts in late summer it'll only be 2 years late

Two years, that's the norm, isn't it:)

"High streets across the country are suffering through the rise of out of town and internet shopping with austerity making things worse."

"Many vital redevelopment projects have been entirely abandoned, including the now infamous ‘Ashington Hole’ and our long-awaited development of the old school site in Newbiggin."

Killingworth Road traffic nightmare

The road, in South Gosforth , first closed in July 2017 to undergo a £13.5m transformation that has seen a new Metro bridge installed and the road widened.

That work should have been all done by February 2018, but is still incomplete after engineers encountered numerous problems including severe weather and asbestos.

HS2.png

So in 10 years time the headlines will be - Amazon Prime delivery delayed by 30 mins. The government Watchdog & COBR committee to hold emergency meetings.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of council members or Advance Northumberland or Ian Lavery  etc. etc. surely the delays are mainly down to the major retailer = a supermarket chain trying to expand it's business making the final decision to build a new store and then the other retailers, and property developers join in.  

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

On 19/03/2020 at 12:28, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Have ye been queuing ootside the building waiting to stock up?

Aye, I've only got 6,000 bog rolls left.

• Like 1

Three years and one month on since I started this thread and what has progressed in the intervening period? Of course COVID-19 has thrown a spanner in the works everywhere but it would be nice if the InvestingInBedlington.co.uk site was updated at least quarterly but yet again months upon months of silence. In February we were a couple of weeks away from a "final" planning decision.

Whats more now the "Contact Us" page doesn't work and the email address bounces.

Any ideas whether a) the redevelopment is still going ahead or if Aldi have thought twice and pulled the plug and b) assuming it is still going ahead... when are we going to see the first brick laid?

Slightly annoying driving through Amble and seeing their shiny new Morrisons complete with Petrol Station that took around 12 months to approve, build and open while we are sat 5 years on from Arch acquiring the land in Bedlington with absolutely nothing to show for it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, _pauls said:

Three years and one month on since I started this thread and what has progressed in the intervening period? Of course COVID-19 has thrown a spanner in the works everywhere but it would be nice if the InvestingInBedlington.co.uk site was updated at least quarterly but yet again months upon months of silence. In February we were a couple of weeks away from a "final" planning decision.

Whats more now the "Contact Us" page doesn't work and the email address bounces.

Any ideas whether a) the redevelopment is still going ahead or if Aldi have thought twice and pulled the plug and b) assuming it is still going ahead... when are we going to see the first brick laid?

Slightly annoying driving through Amble and seeing their shiny new Morrisons complete with Petrol Station that took around 12 months to approve, build and open while we are sat 5 years on from Arch acquiring the land in Bedlington with absolutely nothing to show for it.

@Malcolm Robinson will be the only one with any news/update😷