Latest on Tesco site development

I hope I'm wrong.....but let's see in 5 yrs time if all three are still here and more importantly thriving

I think a better solution would have been an Iceland or Morrisons move to the new site  and Iceland move into old shop

13 hours ago, rosco said:

I think a better solution would have been an Iceland ...

There's an interesting idea...I wonder...

I can't claim to be familiar with Iceland. I've only been inside one Iceland shop and that was in Tenerife. It was a couple of weeks before Christmas and I'd heard they had some typically english Christmas goods (not frozen) in stock that I could take home. I remember I bought Christmas crackers and stocked up on demarera sugar. It's a good few years ago now.

I looked  them up now and find that they have branches in Blyth, Cramlington, Morpeth and Whitley Bay. They are clearly popular and appear to stock much more than frozen goods. I also noted that they  ALL do home deliveries - free if your order is over 25 quid.

Can anybody tell me how far they deliver? Would the Blyth branch deliver to Bedlington, for example, or the Morpeth branch to Stannington?

Edited by Canny lass

We don't have deliveries from Iceland ourselves, but many times I've seen them delivering around the Bedlington /Stakeford area. Our next door neighbour has deliveries from them.

We do occasionally use their shops though and they have a nice range of goods. Great for party food. They even have lots of party food that they make sure cooks in the same time, so you're not waiting for any one thing.  

Edited by webtrekker

On 17/06/2018 at 14:27, Steve Turnbull said:

Wouldn’t it be nice to have one local.,,

The more I think about it, the answer to that is no. From what Webtrekker says, it sounds like a good shop but if they deliver in the Bedlington area then it's already 'on your doorstep', so to speak. My money would be on another supermarket along the lines of Lidl. Waitrose, Tesco or similar. A bit of competition is great for keeping prices down.

Of course, we all have different views on how, when and where to shop. it has to fit in with everything else that's involved in running a household, holding down a job and raising a family. It's a very personal choice. Whichever way it goes some will be happy and some will not. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

20 hours ago, Steve Turnbull said:

Mmm, I wasn’t suggesting one or the other...

My mistake. I thought the prospective tennant of the new supermarket premises was being discussed.

30 minutes ago, rosco said:

As long as the new shops don't include nail salon,hair dresser/barbers,cafet,tattoo studio or takeaway shop we might be ok but to be honest I think we'll get at least 2 more

I have to agree with you there, Rosco! On my last visit I was amazed that a small town like Bedlington could have so many tattoo studios.

I reckon we'll never get the shops or facilities we really want in the area.  I cant see many shops wanting to be based here.  As for another supermarket, what is the point of that, complete overkill.  I wouldn't any of the council who try to make it look like theyre doing if for the residents.  It looks when they release updates or set up resident meetings, but deep down they'll have their own agendas and plans

10 hours ago, Jmagic said:

I reckon we'll never get the shops or facilities we really want in the area.  I cant see many shops wanting to be based here.  As for another supermarket, what is the point of that, complete overkill.  I wouldn't any of the council who try to make it look like theyre doing if for the residents.  It looks when they release updates or set up resident meetings, but deep down they'll have their own agendas and plans

Heaven forbid......wash your mouth out with soap for suggesting such a thing

Its true though @rosco i cant see why we'd need another supermarket.  Bedlington is just a passing town and its apparent with all the houses being built here.  Nothing actual exciting is happening.  Its like when Arch did those resident meetings and had 2 ideas from architects for residents to vote, did people really think they had the power to choose, it just looks good for them.

Edited by Jmagic

"its apparent with all the houses being built here"

That''s right, so with all those houses being built, that's more people to shop in the town, yes? At the moment there's limited choice; expand that choice, and people won't need to go out of town.

• 1 year later...

For anyone that can't select rosco's link this is an extract from the  Advance Northumberland site :-

Advance Northumberland is pleased to confirm that contracts have been exchanged with supermarket chain Aldi for the sale of a 1.5 acre site that will deliver a new, 19,000 sq ft anchor food store in the heart of Bedlington Town Centre.

Aldi will form an integral part of this exciting scheme, a development that is already attracting a number of other national retailers who are lined up to join them.

Working on behalf of Northumberland County Council, Advance Northumberland is leading in the delivery of a major new development that will reposition Bedlington as a retail destination, improving amenities and giving local people greater choice.

Further announcements of other retailers joining the scheme will follow over coming months.
Aldi have given a clear commitment to start on the site in 2020. Advance Northumberland plan to commence their works to ensure both developments are aligned. Once complete it is estimated the combined schemes will create over 180 new jobs along with 70 construction jobs during the construction phase.

Richard Wearmouth, Chair of Advance Northumberland said: “The project is central to the regeneration of Bedlington Town Centre, we are delighted to announce a commitment to the scheme and provide much needed new retail amenities for local people. Aldi will provide a resurgence to the town centre retail offer and will drive footfall to support and attract other retailers. We have put a significant amount of resources and time into this development, demonstrating our commitment to deliver the best possible outcome for Bedlington.”

bedlington-aerial-01-edit-lr-li-min-1570692896.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
10 hours ago, rosco said:

Seems to have gone very quiet after all the fencing went up before Christmas

Very quite - clicked on all the links but couldn't find any updates on the https://www.investinginbedlington.co.uk/news-page/ since 9th July 2019. I wonder if @Malcolm Robinson or @Bill Crosby have a 'one line' update that could say if the scheme is moving ahead :)or at a stand still:(.

Project1.jpg

20 hours ago, rosco said:

Seems to have gone very quiet after all the fencing went up before Christmas

6 hours ago, Malcolm Robinson said:

Serendipitously Alan, expect to see a press release about this very subject later this week! 

Thanks @Malcolm Robinson 

14 hours ago, Bedlingtonian said:

Perhaps we will get the butcher, the baker and the candlestick maker.:iiam:

Supermarket giant Tesco is set to cut more than 1,800 jobs as it makes changes to bakeries in larger stores.

It said that 1,816 bakery staff were at risk of redundancy, with the changes taking place from May.

The retailer said it would convert 58 of its bakeries so they will only finish pre-baked products on-site.

Jason Tarry, the head of Tesco UK & Ireland, said it needed to "adapt to changing customer demand", with fewer people buying traditional loaves.

The move comes as sales of bagels, wraps and flatbreads is increasing, according to Tesco.

Bakeries at 257 sites will remain unchanged, with a further 201 still offering some products baked from scratch.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51626529

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now