The Avengers pop band

On 09/09/2019 at 19:30, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Aad forgot aboot them till ye jogged me memory...they called themselves that name,after the budget "Olympic" drum kit that most of the young groups like us had to start out with..they were a cheap but canny sounding kit,better than old oil drums for sure!

The Olympics where originally called the Statesmen and changed their name to the Olympics, but as far as I am aware it was not due to the name of a Drum Kit. Memory fails when it comes to things long ago, I cannot remember why they changed their name, perhaps Alan can help? 

Edited by Pete

10 hours ago, Pete said:

The Olympics where originally called the Statesmen and changed their name to the Olympics, but as far as I am aware it was not due to the name of a Drum Kit. Memory fails when it comes to things long ago, I cannot remember why they changed their name, perhaps Alan can help? 

@Pete & @HIGH PIT WILMA - I had no idea why they changed their name but I do know Colin Cook's wife , Christine, is on the Bygone Bedlington Facebook group and her reply to my question - ... why did they change their name from the Statesmen to the Olympics.. is :-

Christine Cook
Christine Cook Alan Edgar the lead guitarst left and Ken Moore took over and to avoid any confusion we renamed ourselves and became the Olympics. This name was chosen at random by all of us . 

Edited by Alan Edgar (Eggy1948)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now