Knocky door ginger - upgraded

It would appear one of our childhood games, Knocky door ginger, has been upgraded and is currently on the increase at the Top End. You no longer have to wrap your knuckles on the door, or use the push-button at the door!

Comments on Facebook, starting with :-  Had to buy a new door bell today some silly person has pinched mine has anybody else had this problem in Bedlington ? -  are :- 

My neighbours did. The kids pinched it and were ringing it while sitting on dereks wall. The new knocky nine doors it wud seem

Yes we have on Hazelmere, little pests we're ringing it from across the road, we found it, then it's gone completely now

Yeah - mine's gone. Quite a few on the Chesters have gone.

Loads of people on the chesters have said the same x

Yes mine has gone missing as well in Glebe Mews

someone stole mine too. If they want the bit that plugs into the socket its in the bin.

Had a look on Wikipedia and they reckon :- 

The name knock down ginger or knocky door ginger, used in Britain, comes from a British poem:

Ginger, Ginger broke a winder
Hit the winda – crack!
The baker came out to give 'im a clout
And landed on his back

28 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

I must be living a very sheltered life here. How on earth do you pinch a doorbell!

Its getting worse around here Canny Lass,

My Aunty  Mary got burgled  last week,    we aint seen her since,         .......   they reckon there is a big demand on the black market for stolen senior citizens  :o  

1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

I must be living a very sheltered life here. How on earth do you pinch a doorbell!

The new wireless range where the 'bell-push' doesn't have to be screwed into your lovely upvc front door. Just use double sided tape and the kids can remove the bell-push easily and ring the bell from up to 300m away!.

Parents are often complaining that children are spending too much time staring at screens, and now they are complaining cos the kids are outside playing games!!

Example wireless door bell :-

Wireless doorbell.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moe19 said:

Its getting worse around here Canny Lass,

My Aunty  Mary got burgled  last week,    we aint seen her since,         .......   they reckon there is a big demand on the black market for stolen senior citizens  :o  

Oh dear! I'd better start locking my front door! It hasn't been locked in over 30 years (true) and neither has my car!

Canny Lass - in the old house the front door key had been misplaced several generations back and never replaced! the keys were usually left in the car as it made sense so you didn't have to hunt for keys when you wanted to go out!

We still don't lock the doors even though we have moved into our house in the village (although the cars do get locked) Last crime in the village was seven years ago when a couple of kids from Newcastle area broke into a holiday cottage and stole about £3 - it makes up for having no mains gas, no library, no post office etc etc etc

1 hour ago, pilgrim said:

Canny Lass - in the old house the front door key had been misplaced several generations back and never replaced! the keys were usually left in the car as it made sense so you didn't have to hunt for keys when you wanted to go out!

We still don't lock the doors even though we have moved into our house in the village (although the cars do get locked) Last crime in the village was seven years ago when a couple of kids from Newcastle area broke into a holiday cottage and stole about £3 - it makes up for having no mains gas, no library, no post office etc etc etc

1 hour ago, Vic Patterson said:

Same here Canny lass, except when our kids come for a visit we are always unlocking the doors, they are all city dwellers now! they even lock there cars!

Indeed. Life in the country isn't all about shovelling snow!

no - sometimes you have to shovel other things...... although perhaps not as much of that stuff to get through as a decent, hardworking council member! I do have dire thoughts though that we might be the last generation that can leave doors open and cars unlocked. Crime rates are falling - but the response and detection rates are falling much faster.

I don't believe crime rates are falling I believe that ordinary folk have given up reporting them after waiting for days for police to respond, if at all.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8083115/Reporting-crime-is-a-waste-of-time-says-survey.html

Police  have said they will not send out officers to deal with shoplifters who steal goods worth less than £100.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/10/police-tell-town-will-not-chase-shoplifters-steal-less-100/ 

But if you are a rich luvvy or politician the law will turn out in force as they did for some bloke nicking Eddies  pink beret,.

Obviously not the fashion police :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37409551

totally agree with the first two comments moe - its a self fulfilling prophecy - in that don't attend or show any interest and folk will stop reporting ergo no crime - easy!!!! I recall someone saying to me - you don't want a drug problem? don't have a drug squad! the ostrich syndrome works wonders to make you look as though you are doing well.

The police actively encourage the reporting of all crime here, no matter how petty the offence may be.They are also honest and tell you that there's very little chance of the offender being caught if the crime is low priority - simple thefts etc. The reason is not enough police officers. The only way to get more resources is by showing the true amount of crime on their patch. If people don't report crimes - for whatever reason - the policing will remain at a very low level. 

• Like 2

There always appears to be plenty of Peelers around when some mentally disturbed bloke gets killed in the cells.

Anyway, back to knocky-door ... our version of 'remote' knocking was the black sewing thread wheeze.  Bobbin of thread, tie one end the the old biddies knocked, pay the  thread out to across the street, hide behind the wall/hedge opposite, tug, slacken the tread when the door gets opened, repeat, repeat, repeat.  What a laugh!  We were just kids!!!!

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now