News Post Leader

Have Arch now taken over the News Post Leader?

Readers Views in this weeks New Post Leader appear to have been loaded with Arch and Labour Party promotional material for the local elections in May.

The first letter is from Peter McIntyre chief executive of Arch who praises their work in Bedlington.....The second letter is from Alyson Wallace local Labour councilor who compliments and congratulates Arch. She also mentions that her hope is to be re-elected in May.

The third letter is from a retired business woman from Worcestershire who worked in the energy industry. She has been looking to buy a retirement home in the region and praises Northumberland County Council and Arch for their development plans for Cambois…..The woman believes that the local Conservative Party have plans to scrap Arch so she will not now make a decision about moving to the area until after the May elections!

The fourth and final letter relates to Sustainability and Transformation Plans (STPs) for the NHS. Northumberland, Tyne Wear Trust have said that they will require capital funding for to deliver such plans and describe how millions of pounds are needed for a backlog of repair work…..Perhaps Arch could assist with this so that Northumberland could use capital funding for Social Care.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Andy Millne said:

It was my understanding that the owners of the News Post Leader were in financial trouble so it's certainly possible :D I suspect it is simply more to do with an upcoming election? 

There are also 3 full page promotional pages for the Development of Morpeth, Active Northumberland and How Arch Works.....I wonder who pays for these as it may woo the undecided Northumberland voters in the run up to an election. ;)   

• Like 3

Last time I glanced at the Johnston Press accounts they were akin to those of Greece (but without a compliant ECB) - something like £250M of debt which there is no possible way of repaying.  This month's ABC circulation figures for their titles are also a disaster, and the group can't struggle on much longer.  They've likely already lost the journos who ensured some sort of political balance.

A yesterday post from the ADVFN financial board says it all:

23/2/2017 16:11

I know that most of you are getting excited re upward share movement but pause and reflect on latest ABC figures where JPR lead the way. For example- Wigan down 35% Hartlepool down 22.8% South Shields down 22.3% Blackpool down 16.9% Sunderland down 15.9% and the mighty Scotsman down 14.5% These falls are seriously bad news for viability of the group. I stick to my opinion that these shares have no value.

If you visit the News Post Leader website you will find a large banner headline on each page advertising Arch. I would include a link however I think they get enough publicity without me helping to promote them.

Well done to Malcolm for getting his letter published in this weeks Leader.

There's a regular pattern for delivery now, when Arch/NCC  wish to make an announcement or place an advert the NPL is delivered to all their chosen pick up points in the town and are readily available to be collected by the general public free of charge. Similarly it is delivered by hand to my neighbourhood and many others on a Wed/Thursday afternoon. When there is any controversial factual readers letters they don't want you to see as was the case yesterday, the delivery system fails and the Lion Garage, Community Centre and many neighbourhoods failed to receive their copies I think it really is time the rag was renamed the News Post Labour.  It's also worth a mention that of the three letters I've wrote to them all were edited by them to "water them down" before they were published. Says it all for me............

• Like 2

This weeks NPL was interesting.

Easy to understand was Malcolm Robinsons letter

However page 3 on Capital Spending was not so easy.

Capital Spending, cuts and a tax hike was the headline.

The article tells us that there are to be £6 million revenue cuts and £380 million spent on capital projects in 2017/18 . Does this mean these huge sums and more are the spending in 2016/17.

They go on to tell us that there is £150 million earmark for third party loans to the likes of Arch. There is also funding for new sport and leisure facilities at Druridge Bay. 3G pitch for Alnwick Juniors. Alnwick Playhouse into a community hub. Then new leisure centres at Blyth Morpeth Ponteland and Berwick. Significant resources are set aside for school reorganisation. Finally money to support the reopening of the Ashington Blyth and Tyne railway.

To me the figures for cuts and then spending just do not add up.

Bedlington with no Arch action seems very very low on any priority list.

A friend at the council meeting in Morpeth thought she heard a figure of £38,000 for the posters of the council leader and others! Surely this must be wrong.

IMG_2479.JPG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now