Gateway Features

Update: Seen three now, only missing the one up Netherton way. Here's my reviews!

Dog (by twenty acres) - excellent; seen a lot of comments about how we are in danger of becoming known as the 'Dog Town', along the lines of 'can't we be identified with something else'? Fair comments, but missing the point: The little terrier is OUR dog and is famed and favoured by dog lovers across the world, so it remains part of the culture of the town. That's why, when you walk into the Red Lion, you don't see sculpture of a Lion, but of a Bedlington Terrier. (an aside - I wonder who does the research into local history when they open a 'Spoons? They have done a pretty good job in the Lion, and in other ones I've been in.)

St Cuthberts Cross (opposite the Chester's) - on first viewing, from a passing bus on a gloomy day, I thought it rather dour and dark; having seen it glinting in the sunlight, and close up, it's a different proposition! It's actually pretty majestic, suitably imposing and rather grand, so another success. The St Cuthbert story is an important one in the town's rich history - even if it may in fact be a myth!

The Locomotive (Attlee Park car park) - brilliant, a superb evocation and a wonderful addition to the town. The engine and iron works are integral - and often overlooked - to Bedlington, and this little train will bring a smile to the face of anyone who comes across it. One gripe - is it possible to move the bright green litter bin, which will be in shot of a camera from most angles? It's the only blight on a brilliant effort.

All credit to Malcolm and the team at WBTC, who have made a fine effort to enhance the attraction of the town.

While on the subject, my mum came up with an idea; whether it is viable or not, in terms of cost (probably not!) it's one that fits with Malcolm's vision to enhance the Bedlington 'brand': miniatures of the gateway features, Bedlington souvenirs. After all, while not putting the town in the same league, how many visitors to Paris come home with a baby Eiffel Tower? Or, how many visitors to Woodhorn by a mining-related souvenir? Worth a thought?

• Like 2

Great review Merc. I second the idea for miniatures. They can go in the shop along with the key rings and bottle openers. Click the shop link in the menu if you missed them. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andy said:

Great review Merc. I second the idea for miniatures. They can go in the shop along with the key rings and bottle openers. Click the shop link in the menu if you missed them. 

Just been messaging Malcolm; he's already considering a miniature of the loco, as apparently the Dutch museum in which it resides sells kits! I wasn't aware of the keyrings and bottle openers until he mentioned them to me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Andy said:

Andy, it won't let me click on the shop link, it keeps disappearing!

15 hours ago, Andy Millne said:

Thanks @Maggie/915 That completes the picture for me. The train is magnificent! Does the dog have an ear infection though?

Yes, I think the dog is the least inspiring of these; the St Cuthberts Cross looks better in the flesh, as the picture doesn't show clearly that the actual cross is gleaming gold.

35 minutes ago, Malcolm Robinson said:

Lets wait until they are FINISHED folks............;)

Malcolm, are they getting an information plaque to explain the significance?

11 minutes ago, Malcolm Robinson said:

Exactly so Merc..........I've written them and they are on agenda for Thursday night's meeting!  

Might need someone to go over them......;)

No probs, let me know if you do.

I can't help wondering about the placement of the train in Attlee Park - from the road it is slap bang behind a bin, a road salt bin and a dog waste bin. Unless those are going to be moved at some point it kind of spoils the effect as you drive into the town.

• Like 2

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now