BEDLINGTON MECHANICS FC

Ovalteeny

welcome Ian, Sep Kidd was my Grandad and used to take me (and my brother) on Jordans busses to all the away matches when I was a child. Me and wor Allan also went to all the home matches at Millne Park, so I guess we must have been aware of each other back then. There are lot's of items and photos on this site regards The Mechanics FC, hopefully you can navigate to them.

Good luck, Jack Kidd

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 15:43, Ian Rowe said:

My Dad George Rowe worked at the Dr Pit as an Electrical Engineer and was treasurer. I remember sitting with him in the mid fifties at the table at Milne Park and collecting the pennies which we would count at home on the Saturday night. Uncle Sepp and Annie Kidd were my Granny Anna nee Kidds family, and always so kind to us.

Hi Ian,  My Dad was an Overman at Dr Pit in the 50's and knew your grandad Sepp. One day when I was a young pup me and a mate climbed into Sepp's garden and pinched a few apples .Next day after work my dad grilled me and I got a belting. Not only that but he made go and confess to the priest at St Bedes where I got a few Hail Marys. They were good times. At That time the Mechanics played at Millne Park in the Northern Alliance but I lived near Welfare Park and supported the green and whites in the Miners Welfare league. This is where the "History of the Terriers" is not quite accurate. Best wishes and keep safe.

• Like 1

• Hello Joe, You a correct in respect of the "History of The Terriers" on the Bedlington Terriers FC web-site being not quite accurate. Especially the early years. A few years ago I tried to have some input and provided their Chairman with the info and even re-wrote what was originally on there. They took no notice. Someone has now made another attempt to clean it up, but the early years Certainly, all the time that they played at Millne Park are very misleading and chronologically wrong. Hey Ho. By the way Sep Kidd was my Grandad, not Ian Rowe's, who refers to my Grandad as his Uncle. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ovalteeny said:
  • Hello Joe, You a correct in respect of the "History of The Terriers" on the Bedlington Terriers FC web-site being not quite accurate. Especially the early years. A few years ago I tried to have some input and provided their Chairman with the info and even re-wrote what was originally on there. They took no notice. Someone has now made another attempt to clean it up, but the early years Certainly, all the time that they played at Millne Park are very misleading and chronologically wrong. Hey Ho. By the way Sep Kidd was my Grandad, not Ian Rowe's, who refers to my Grandad as his Uncle. 

Hi Ovalteeny, Sorry about the misunderstanding about your grandad. As kids we also used to take our football to Millne Park and climb the fence. We thought it was great to play on a pitch with goals and real nets on them. Then a gentleman would appear behind the bottom goals near the pit and chase us off. I think this was probably your grandad.

• 6 months later...
On 11/02/2017 at 17:08, Alan Edgar (Eggy1948) said:

Anyone know the names of these Mechanics footballers? Photo from Helen Millar (Bygone Bedlington facebook group) - still trying to find out what the event was and why only 6 of the squad in the photo with the Army/Reserves lot.

Helen Millar2 named.jpg

Number 3 really looks like my great grandad Robert Miller. I wonder if anyone recognises this name? I will get this double checked by my dad 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Graceson Oxley said:

Number 3 really looks like my great grandad Robert Miller. I wonder if anyone recognises this name? I will get this double checked by my dad 

@Graceson Oxley- I've checked through the Bedlington Mechanics album we have in the Gallery>Sports section but we don't have the name Robert Miller on any of the photos.

If your dad can identify your great granda then I will add his name to the photo.

This is a direct link to the Bedlington Mechanics Gallery album where all the Mechanics photos that have been posted, in any section of this site, are stored in the album.

• 3 years later...

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now