BT Call Protect

moe19

I have just activated the BT new call protect  service its free to BT customers and promises to bring an end to the never ending stream of  cold calls that disturb our lives 

How it works

• The service diverts nuisance calls to a new junk voicemail which you can access by dialling 1572 from your home phone

• We continually monitor for the worst nuisance call offenders and once we've identified them, we will automatically divert them for you

• You can also add numbers to your own personal blacklist which will also send those calls to your junk voicemail

• The service is free and just for our customers.

It's really simple to switch on - in a matter of minutes you'll be protected. Just call 0800 328 1572 or activate it online

.http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tech-news/bt-call-protect-free-service-crackdown-nuisance-calls-11364136279348

• 2 weeks later...

A friend in East Anglia just messaged me about his switch to BT Internet a short while ago:

We were so unimpressed with BT that we have changed to TalkTalk to be our phone and internet provider. TalkTalk gave me a free SIM for my mobile phone so I have also dumped Vodafone from that and effectively everything on my mobile is now free.

He's a very senior citizen so not prone to switching for the sake of it.

11 hours ago, Newbedders said:

Doesn't work for withheld numbers. After a week of bliss I've been bombarded today, all withheld, so 1572 doesn't recognise them.

If you dial 1572 and listen to the options you can add a ban on withheld numbers, I have not done this and until now am still cold call free (fingers crossed ):D

Probably worth noting that you should register with the TPS (telephone Preference Service), you can also add mobile phones to this which drastically reduced phone calls getting through to my mobile.

Can you use the BT service to block family members without them knowing?

On 1/17/2017 at 22:31, John Fox (foxy) said:

Yes it's outlook, but  if an address isn't valid why does it arrive in my inbox?

There is a good chance that it's a spoofed address and the return address in the message headers is something else entirely.

1 hour ago, Brett said:

Probably worth noting that you should register with the TPS (telephone Preference Service), you can also add mobile phones to this which drastically reduced phone calls getting through to my mobile.

You are right Brett, registering with TPS does make a big difference but it does not stop my good friend Sam from Windows technical dept calling me every day and offering to remove the virus that I have on my computer. Could be Sam's is in a different country and TPS does not seem able to stop these type of calls. But as I said I do agree with you that it is worth reistering with TPS as it has minmised the number cold calls that I get.

41 minutes ago, Brett said:

Probably worth noting that you should register with the TPS (telephone Preference Service), .

Brett I signed up with them years ago and have renewed my details a number of times but it made no difference to the huge number of calls we were receiving (mainly from abroad )

46 minutes ago, moe19 said:

Brett I signed up with them years ago and have renewed my details a number of times but it made no difference to the huge number of calls we were receiving (mainly from abroad )

Yeah, illegal callers aren't going to comply to the fact that they shouldn't be calling you because of the TPS but my landline gets minimal usage to the point where I don't even know what the number is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Fox (foxy) said:

I'm sure Pennine Windows have a webcam fitted in my house, just as soon as they see me sit down to a meal they're on the phone telling me they have massive discounts on all products throughout their range.:angry:

I used to work for pennine and can vouch for them being shady as hell. 

1 hour ago, John Fox (foxy) said:

I've bought a lot of their products Brett and they're all good quality stuff but they can wear you down with incessant phone calls trying to sell more.

I was the tool monkey that fitted them as opposed to the phone monkey that sold them, just unplug your phone.

On 2/1/2017 at 18:57, John Fox (foxy) said:

I've bought a lot of their products Brett and they're all good quality stuff but they can wear you down with incessant phone calls trying to sell more.

I used them when I lived in Cramlington. Got them to give me a quote, windows,doors, guttering, fascias & soffits, when I moved to Seghill (declined their quote and got a lad from Bedlington to do them for half the price and no slava - unfortunately that was the last job the lad did, cancer got him).

They did ring a couple of more times and then I stayed on the phone politely requesting the young lady to take our number out of their database as the our current upvc products would probably see us out. The young lady agreed and we haven't had a call for years.

Could just be pure luck.  

52 minutes ago, Eggy1948 said:

I used them when I lived in Cramlington. Got them to give me a quote, windows,doors, guttering, fascias & soffits, when I moved to Seghill (declined their quote and got a lad from Bedlington to do them for half the price and no slava - unfortunately that was the last job the lad did, cancer got him).

We worked most weekends doing exactly that. Fitted entire streets in Cramlington.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2017 at 22:31, John Fox (foxy) said:

Yes it's outlook, but  if an address isn't valid why does it arrive in my inbox?

I could be way out of touch here but I always believed that Microsoft Outlook email system was designed to be a more 'user-friendly' service that was a link between your device and your actual service provider. If this is still the case then although there is some validation of emails received into Outlook it's your service provider that should be doing the main blocking of SPAM emails.

Is this still the case with Outlook? Do you have a service provider - BT - TalkTalk- etc. etc where your emails are delivered into or are your incoming emails delivered direct to the Outlook service?

As for your 'firmware' validating the address of the sender on your incoming emails I would expect that most services, if not them all, would not see it necessary. I would think the designers of email systems would work on the basis that the user receiving emails would rather make their own decisions, rather than their firmware blocking potentially important emails, that could have some data ie. senders address corrupted, in transmission. Americans would surely sue their service provider if that happened. 

It's only when you create or reply to an email that your service provider will validate the address you are sending out of your system to ensure it's a valid format.

SPAMmers of course have software that wraps around their service provider system and changes the format and names of their outgoing emails.

If I'm talking Blloosk (encrypted by my software) then sorry. 

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now