Helping a Struggling Emily Thornberry

threegee

You'd think that as a (fat cat?) lawyer Emily Thornberry would be an expert communicator, after all that's what she is paid a lot of money to do.  But boy was she struggling to communicate on Peston on Sunday!

Thornberry-789986.jpg

Peston quizzed her on Labour's immigration policy saying ""There is so much confusion about your position. What is it exactly?"  After much talking around the issue ("The economy is most important thing. We have to be looking after the economy.") he was reduced to a "You have not made it clearer", to which she replied "I've done my best."

Well your best leaves everyone - including it seems Labour MPs - highly confused Ms Thornberry.  It's simply not good enough for a professional communicator, so I'm offering you a bit of help borrowed from none other than a former adviser and speech writer to Tony Blair, Jack Straw and David Blunkett.  He was faithfully reported thus:-

The huge increases in migrants over the last decade were partly due to a politically motivated attempt by ministers to radically change the country and "rub the Right's nose in diversity", according to Andrew Neather, a former adviser to Tony Blair, Jack Straw and David Blunkett.

He said Labour's relaxation of controls was a deliberate plan to "open up the UK to mass migration" but that ministers were nervous and reluctant to discuss such a move publicly for fear it would alienate its "core working class vote".

As a result, the public argument for immigration concentrated instead on the economic benefits and need for more migrants.

"The economy is most important thing. We have to be looking after the economy." - Well, of course it is Ms Thornberry; that's made very clear in those notes from your spin doctor!

• Like 2

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now