Taking the Pea Soup?

threegee

On a slightly less serious note...

H19247-L110705338.jpg

Is this glorified Post-it note worth $4000 - $8000?

No, I'm not poking fun at modern art collectors - far too easy a target, and also so easily overdone.  It's the signature of course, and what it says about us that we'd want to pay that.  Isn't that Andy Warhol's "In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes" point?  Fame by association has a definite market price, even if the association is with an 85p tin of soup.  And, here you have a BOGOF offer. ;)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Nae disrespect,Threegee,but for the dumb pitmen amangst us,or,those like me who are musically orientated,and ignorant of modern art......wat thi hell is it aal aboot?!!!!

Explanations wud be seriously welcomed,aa dinna mind showing me ignorance,as lang that definition is in the context of the Oxford English Dictionary![NOT the common "Geordie" meaning!]

It's difficult to define what 'modern art' is i.e. where and when it began. Many class the Impressionists, from the later 19th century, as Modern art, simply because they approached there work in a different way to what had become traditional portraiture and landscapes. The same could be said of our local lot, the Pitmen Painters, who were by no mean conventional (but, in my own opinion, very important in the history of UK art). Usually, the term modern art is mostly associated with the Pop Art movement and onwards; It's a personal choice as to whether one likes a particular painting, sculpture or work of art, and for me, I just like what I like. Therefore, you can chuck your warhols, Damien Hirsts and Tracy Emins in the bin, and give me more conventional works, such as the utter genius of Da Vinci, who's drawings I could look at for hours, and the glorious colours and detail of the pre-Raphaelites.

Everyone in this world can draw.

You shouldn't compare what you draw against any other drawing, sketch or painting, if you enjoy doing it then do it..

Oxford English Dictionary definition of Modern Art :- ....art of a style marked by a significant departure from traditional styles and values, in particular that created between the late 19th and the late 20th centuries..........

Eggy1948 definition of Modern Art :- it's what ever you want

Art Critic :- should not be allowed to have a comment.

Interpreting a work done by any artist should come in two sentances :-

1) I like that. Where the word like doesn't mean anything but can mean whatever you like.      

2. I don't like that. Where the word like means 'Not on my house walls'.

I used to doodle, on A3 sheets of paper used as a desk pad, at work in the late 60s (as I was so efficient I had loads of spare time to while away!) and kept some of my doodles but I think they got moved from box to box, house to house that I have no idea where they are. I was proud of them, that's art.

Lets get your art out, and post in this topic, for the lads & lasses of this site to be an art critic, for fun of course, so you can compare one person's interpretation with another. 

I did keep a few of my pics, out of the stuff that was boxed over the years, and kept them in a folder, that I have easy access and it's my art that still makes me smile today eg. tribute to the death of Walt Disney (1966) :-

Mickey Mouse & Chip shrunk.jpg

Eggy, not only are you a whiz with the photos & numbering but you can draw as well. I bet you refined your talent when working all the boring hours at The Monastery.

Edited by Ovalteeny

1 hour ago, Ovalteeny said:

Eggy, not only are you a whiz with the photos & numbering but you can draw as well. I bet you refined your talent when working all the boring hours at The Monastery.

Those were the days, me, and the other 6 were ever so Happy.thumb.jpg.d0a7640b367d2d372af248147d7d4b0f.jpg

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now