FLIX IN THE STIX

samuel

I AM a retired Cinema operator and would like to know if the people of Choppington and surrounding area would like a part time Cinema locally. running films that will be a few weeks older but in a warm local friendly surroundings, at very low prices and 90% of the content shown will be family films and special matinees of Disney Films for the younger ones. All enquiries please tel Sam Lavington on 07708192652  We are also seeking a suitable venue we can use for up to three days weekly possibly Friday/Saturdays

10575210_510373812426161_3861900541556370859_o.jpg

• Like 2

Wishing you every success with that venture, Samuel.

This kind of cinema is very popular here in Sweden, where villages are scattered and often far from 'real' cinemas. Village halls are put to maximum use and film-going is a very informal affair. You don't have to sit on a hard chair either. You can bring your own cushions and lie on the floor - as kids often do at home. Local clubs make and serve refreshments for the interval and earn a bit of money for their club and some clubs provide a transport service for older people. Works fine!

PS. Welcome to the forum.

Edited by Canny lass

I can remember years ago the Market Place Club used to show films on a Wednesday night and the Station Club showed them on a Thursday night, they had a full size cinema screen that used to roll up and down using a rope pulley and a man would arrive with a projector and the films that had been advertised on the club notice board, he would plug the projector sound in to the clubs PA system. Before the main movie  something like the tree stooges was often  shown and folk would enjoy a drink while watching the film.

Alas the arrival of the video recorder killed off the club films and the company that used to run them folded up.

I enjoy the cinema although it is now an expensive event , I would certainly patronise any pop up cinema that operated in this area  and wish you good luck.  

Good luck with this. There were rumours once that this might have been a use for the old Police Station in Bedlington but nothing ever came of it. Perfect venue with the Red Lion right next to it. Only parking an issue. Recently visited the Tyneside Cinema in the comfy leather sofas to watch a movie. Really enjoyed it and would love to have somewhere local for a similar experience.

• Like 2

I would say approach the local social clubs with an offer, you take the money on the entrance fee and they make money on the bar and snacks sales from filmgoers  

It costs then nothing but one  bar staffs hourly rate, and they dont even have to have the lights on :lol::beer: 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2017 at 03:28, samuel said:

I AM a retired Cinema operator and would like to know if the people of Choppington and surrounding area would like a part time Cinema locally. running films that will be a few weeks older but in a warm local friendly surroundings, at very low prices and 90% of the content shown will be family films and special matinees of Disney Films for the younger ones. All enquiries please tel Sam Lavington on 07708192652  We are also seeking a suitable venue we can use for up to three days weekly possibly Friday/Saturdays

I hope this is successful Samuel, we used to have a movie theatre here in town but it has long long gone, our nearest one is 120 miles away, and yes people travel after work to take in a movie and popcorn. 

I remember in the early 1950's in Rothbury waiting for second house! (I think movies were only every Thursday sitting on forms in the village hall) being from Blyth we were spoiled with all those venues!

Good luck. 

I'm hoping I'm a little step closer to beginning this Cinema Project, I would love to hear from people  who would like to volunteer in helping with the project, after further talks it has been intimated to me that some form of Bingo club would be good and a place that's ideal for kids birthday parties with a difference. All observations welcomed, The idea is to make this a Bedlington community cinema/hall. sam lavington

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now