Posted Event Westridge School Reunion 1967/68

Thanks foxy ... apparently I did have a very, very old FB account which I'd forgotten about (hadn't been used for years) so when I did a new sign-up it chucked the old account in my face.  Anyway, I used it to visit that group above;  when I've got a bit of time I'll contact them.

• Like 2

Hi John thanks for info on Bedlington Terriers football club that hold events there, will e-mail them to see what the deal is,if we can book at a certain date,cost of booking and entertainment, hope your well and enjoying that bracing Bedlington climate.

Yours in the Spirit of Cooperation

Malcolm.

John&Symptoms, The Bedlington Terriers Football Club looks like a good venue as Johns picture shows they have  held a Westridge Re-union before 7.30 pm -11.00pm would prefer live music entertainment to Karoke we could have a Disco of the hits of our schooldays Beatles, Stones, Animals etc etc.

We seem popular with over 800 hits so there is an interest out there,can we organise a date, venue and time and what we can provide on the night.

As Canned Heat said"Lets Work Together"

Malcolm.

Hi Bedlingtonians and those in exile Well, Well, over a 1,000 hits on the Westridge Re-Union for summer 2017.

Thanks to Symptoms and John Fox for their involvement, we need just a few out of the1,000 to assist in the development of the idea into a reality. 

Like the idea of Bedlington Terriers Football club as venue if anyone can post details of how much it would cost to hire rooms and facilities, has the Terriers for example a PA system that we could use if we provide live music on the night, a local DJ with nostalgic music of our Youth? 

So sign up if you where at Westridge Secondary Modern about 50 years ago there has been a lot of water flown under the bridge since those days, be good to see how we swam along with the tide of life?

I am still swimming how about you?

Malcolm G Allan.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2017 at 17:23, Malcolm G Allan said:

John&Symptoms, The Bedlington Terriers Football Club looks like a good venue as Johns picture shows they have  held a Westridge Re-union before 7.30 pm -11.00pm would prefer live music entertainment to Karoke we could have a Disco of the hits of our schooldays Beatles, Stones, Animals etc etc.

We seem popular with over 800 hits so there is an interest out there,can we organise a date, venue and time and what we can provide on the night.

As Canned Heat said"Lets Work Together"

Malcolm.

Malcolm - John - Symptoms. I posted the link to Symptoms website on the facebook Bedlington groups and one response was :-   Jan Murther :- 'we ve got a westridge school reunion on march 4th at. bedlington terriers football club all welcome'. I have no idea if this is a reunion for everyone that went to Westridge throughout it's history or just for specific years. I don't have any details, numbers, facilities etc. etc. but I have asked asked Jan, through the facebook system, and I will pass on any info if she replies.  

9 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

Malcolm - John - Symptoms. I posted the link to Symptoms website on the facebook Bedlington groups and one response was :-   Jan Murther :- 'we ve got a westridge school reunion on march 4th at. bedlington terriers football club all welcome'. I have no idea if this is a reunion for everyone that went to Westridge throughout it's history or just for specific years. I don't have any details, numbers, facilities etc. etc. but I have asked asked Jan, through the facebook system, and I will pass on any info if she replies.  

Jan Murther replied -  it's for anyone that went to westridge. 

Thanks Eggy 1948 and Jan Murther, I will not be attending as will be in Ipswich on March the 4th, so I don't know about a summer re-union? If Jan Muther is for anyone who attented Westridge, as I put down for a summer re-union as that would give us plenty of time to organise and it's slightly warmer in the summer time in Bedlington.

So is the Summer Re-Union of Westridge pupils of 50 odd years ago a no go? as for us exiles we got to plan and save up as a trip to the North-East from Somerset can get quite expensive, train travel,B&B or Hotel accomadation,well anyway got a lot of people viewing and if we could maybe have a vote if it's worthwhile to create a Summer Re-Union since Jan Muther as already set one up in March 2017.

Well done Jan Muther hope everyone has a good time of memorys of schooldays and of our Youth will be abundant on March 4th 2017.

Malcolm.

Malcolm, like you I'd be unable to attend Jan's March bash, so I suggest that we stick with the original July reunion plan and see what happens by your proposed 'cut off' date at the end of May;  you'll recall suggesting in an earlier post a 'cut off' date at the end of that month.

The http://www.westridgeschool.com  website, although only having been online for a couple of days is generating 'hits'.  We've got one old pal resident in the USA planning to fly over for the do;  another one, living in Ireland, also plans to attend; there's been an enquiry from Portugal. It's early days, so I reckon we should continue promoting the 50 Year July reunion 'till May and see if the numbers signing up make it viable.

I hope Jan's reunion goes well and perhaps she might like to sign-up for the July one too.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks Symptoms okay lets keep to the orginal plan, cut off date end of May, be good if Jan could e-mail us details of cost for Bedlington Terriers facilities as this seems to be a regular venue for Westridge Re-Unions.

So in all reality to make this work we are going to have certain numbers to attend good news that people from all over the Globe want to attend, just goes to show you what a Secondary Modern Education can do for you.

Keep well and in good spirits.

Malcolm.

I see there are 86 members in the  'PAST PUPILS OF WESTRIDGE SECONDARY SCHOOL BEDLINGTON' that Foxy has posted the link for in a previous comment - might not all be of the 'more mature members' but should be some to boost your reunion do.  

Hi Symptons, I am outside the boundries, though I would be very interested in attending the reunion. I am one of the original pupils, attending from the opening day. I was in Upper Remove, Form Master George Marley.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Norman!

Would I be right in thinking you were mates in the same class [upper remove],with Davy lees  and another lad whose name I canna bring to mind,just I have this memory of when I went into the remove halfway through the class term,there were the three lads,who always stuck together at breaks etc,Davy was Head Boy when I went into the class...a smashing natured lad...it wasn't long before they all left Westridge to further their education.

Nae disrespect intended if aav got it wrang,mind,nowt unusual for me!

Cheers!

Hi HIGH PIT WILMA. It is good to hear from someone of the same era. Although I would probably have known you as we were both in the Upper Remove at the same time. I am forwarding some names of people who were in the same class as we were, I of course remember David Lees, others are as follow, Martin Green, ? McGregor, Robert (Bob) Cross, James Scott, William ( Bill) Allinson, Edward (Ted) Smout, Dennis Green, Lorna Barker, Ian Campbell, Edward ?, Ian Lucas, Len Thompson, Trevor Hale, Lynn Hayes, Anne Paterson, Patricia Purcell, Sandra Short, and of course Form Master George Marley. Most of the names I remember were people who were at St Cuthberts' and The Whitley Memorial, hope this jogs your memory a bit. I still visit Bedlington, it would be great to meet up and chat about old times.

All the Best Norman Turner.

Hi Norman,great to hear from you!

Dae yi mind if a mek a few corrections,and additions,if me memory is serving me correctly!

Corrections first!

The only Martin was Martin Nicholson [sadly deceased at a young age],ginger-haired Derek McGregor,Bill Allison [no "N"...cos that's me!],[tall]Eddie Hedley,[very tall!..]Micky Lucas,who was Sergeant Lucas' Son [at the top-end cop-shop!].

Additions..little Billy Brown,[my neighbour at Hollymount Square,Barry ?["Barf"...wore black Buddy Holly style glasses..],Derek Goodall,and.......correct me please if aam wrang here,Joan Hogg,and Joan Henderson.

...meanwhile....aa's thinkin'....!!

Edited by HIGH PIT WILMA
Accidental posting prematurely!

Hi Norman,again!

Isobel Bowman definately!..[ Trevor Hale and her were very pally at school,dinna knaa if they ever got together later on]......canna be many mair,it was only a smaal class compared ti the Whitley School classes,where there were over 40 pupils in a class!

Heh heh!....two mair came ti mind as a switched topics....Barbara [Babs] Thornton,and  Rosemary Oliver..[ex-my class at the Whitley School..aal the way through life from the infant school..as was Dennis Green,Martin Nicholson,Bobby Cross,Len Thompson, Ted Smout,Lynn Hayes,Anne Pattinson,Sandra Short,Lorna Barker,and the aforementioned Joans Henderson and Hogg!

That's 14 including Me,aal from the same class through school life,start ti finish!....[from the Whitley].....tha was only aboot 21-or 22 pupils in total in the Upper Remove!..[and aa was thi ownly one dumb enough ti gaan doon a deep dark dorty hole in thi grund!!]

Dennis Green went ti Scotland,promoted to a Chief of the Police Force,Martin Nicholson went into the Royal Engineers as an Electrician,in Abu-Dhabi,Bobby Cross went into acting on T.V.,then back into Journalism..[so I heard],Rosemary Oliver ran her own business in Bedlington Station as a Florist,and I would be interested to know what happened to everybody else!

Cheers Norman!..hope we hook up some time for a natter!

Edited by HIGH PIT WILMA
Omitted brackets!

12 hours ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Heh heh!....two mair came ti mind as a switched topics....Barbara [Babs] Thornton,and  Rosemary Oliver..[ex-my class at the Whitley School..aal the way through life from the infant school..as was Dennis Green,Martin Nicholson,Bobby Cross,Len Thompson, Ted Smout,Lynn Hayes,Anne Pattinson,Sandra Short,Lorna Barker,and the aforementioned Joans Henderson and Hogg!

That's 14 including Me,aal from the same class through school life,start ti finish!....[from the Whitley].....tha was only aboot 21-or 22 pupils in total in the Upper Remove!..[and aa was thi ownly one dumb enough ti gaan doon a deep dark dorty hole in thi grund!!]

Dennis Green went ti Scotland,promoted to a Chief of the Police Force,Martin Nicholson went into the Royal Engineers as an Electrician,in Abu-Dhabi,Bobby Cross went into acting on T.V.,then back into Journalism..[so I heard],Rosemary Oliver ran her own business in Bedlington Station as a Florist,and I would be interested to know what happened to everybody else!

Cheers Norman!..hope we hook up some time for a natter!

Real memory jogging, I was in the same class as the names you mentioned from  the infant school and the Whitley, I was mates with Len Thomson. I remember Rosemary Oliver as she had a brother called, Geoff another mate of mine, another name you might recall was Keith Smith, his dad was a butcher/slaughterman.

I remember meeting Trevor Hale when me and my late wife lived in Peterborough, I think he was down for a conference though I can't remember exactly it was he did.

Further to my own life, served my time as a chef in the County Hotel in Newcastle, travelled around Europe for a few years, then found my true vocation in the fire service I eventually ended up working as a civilian fire officer with the MOD was Deputy Command Fire Officer with the RAF, eventually ended up with the Army as Fire Officer for Military Operations, Exercises an training, which meant that wherever the army deployed in peace or war, I went as well, been to some fabulous places and some right sh*** holes.

Cheers Bill, it will be great to meet up for a natter.

• Like 1

Hi Norman!

You have had a very interesting life!

Another classmate from the Remove came to mind,and a divvent knaa hoo we cud forget her...[me especially seeing as she is related to my Sister-in-law].........

...Hilda Storey...a real canny lass,as was aal the lasses and lads in wor class...whey mebbe not AAL thi lads.....there were four particular lads who verbally bullied,harassed,and humiliated me in front of the class,and sumtimes half of thi school,just aboot every day till I left school.

I was always very strong willed,being a Leo,and told nobody,not the teachers,nor my parents,nobody !

My best mates,Martin Nicholson,and Dennis Green,used ti encourage me to just totally ignore them...which I did for about a year,then one day I let loose at one in the Metalwork class,giving him a shock,and a sore rib!,just as Mr Epsley waaked inti the class,so we just got on wi wa work and neither of us said owt.

That lad was an excellent cricketer,and I think he played for Bedlington Cricket Club,in later years.

The other ringleader was the Northumberland Schools Champion runner on the track,and even though he bullied me,I used ti to be at the trackside egging him on

ti win.which he usually did comfortably.....it's strange you should say you bumped into him doon sooth!!

Wish I cud bump inti him,[them!],I bet we wud hev a gud laugh at hoo they went on as kids![BIG kids.....14+ years old!....I was working in rough wet conditions,underground, only  months after aal this!

Heh heh! If only we knew where life was gonna lead us!!

A canna mind o' Keith Smith,Norman,and if ye went through the same schools,in the same class as Len Thompson,which Aa did as weel,reet through school life...beginning ti end....yi hae me beat!

Hae yi checked oot thi Infant school pic in thi gallery,which aa posted?,[pic credit goes to Jim Hardy,back row-second from left,next ti me,aam extreme left back row]

That pic shud bring back a few memories!! ...nature waaks doon thi black path,[Furnace bridge waak],play-times in the school field behind the church.....!

1 hour ago, HIGH PIT WILMA said:

Hae yi checked oot thi Infant school pic in thi gallery,which aa posted?,[pic credit goes to Jim Hardy,back row-second from left,next ti me,aam extreme left back row]

That pic shud bring back a few memories!! ...nature waaks doon thi black path,[Furnace bridge waak],play-times in the school field behind the church.....!

11 hours ago, norman said:

Real memory jogging, I was in the same class as the names you mentioned from  the infant school and the Whitley, I was mates with Len Thomson. I remember Rosemary

This is a link to the photo Album 

https://www.bedlington.co.uk/gallery/image/2031-1950-class-2/

13 hours ago, Vic Patterson said:

That was from an earlier photo posting, the names are not the updated ones, 21 is Doreen not 35,but 37 is Rosemary.

Vic - the link takes you to the first posting of that photo within that Album. If you scroll down you will see the updated photos etc. and after a few changes in the names the last image posted = No 21, your Doreen. I don't know of a way of adding a link from an album item that would take you to a specific comment within that item.

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now