Clifton Row - Netherton ?????

Definitely not Third Street. Wrong type of windows (16 pane instead of four) and wrong number of upstairs windows. This picture shows two upstairs windows and one downstairs window per house. Third Street had one up and one down.

Also, though  I can't remember ever seeing Clifton Row from this 'front' side - this being reserved mostly for funerals -. this street seems rather long for Clifton Row and I always thought their gardens were across the street from the back door and behind the outside toilets. The old Howard Row or Yard Row springs to mind. Both were long running from the pit and to the social club. here's a map from 1947:

Netherton Colliery 1947 2.png

• Like 2

Looking at it again, Third Street had only 24 houses  with two houses sharing one chimney stack  - 12. These can be counted on aerial photos. The above photo has at least 14 stacks and they seem to be in poor condition as most of the pots are missing. I think this might just be Howard Row before it was demolished. It was there in 1947 as the map  shows but it was gone when I was a small child in the early fifties, presumably demolished.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Looking at it again, Third Street had only 24 houses  with two houses sharing one chimney stack  - 12. These can be counted on aerial photos. The above photo has at least 14 stacks and they seem to be in poor condition as most of the pots are missing. I think this might just be Howard Row before it was demolished. It was there in 1947 as the map  shows but it was gone when I was a small child in the early fifties, presumably demolished.

All windows and doors etc. in Grade II listed buildings to be replaced with energy efficient ones BUT Chimney Pots should be kept so future generations can work out what was where.  Aren't chimney pots brilliant!

20 minutes ago, Eggy1948 said:

Chimney Pots should be kept so future generations can work out what was where.  Aren't chimney pots brilliant!

Indeed they should be kept, but try telling that to the leek-growing miners who only saw their brilliant properties when wanting straight, white leeks.

• 2 months later...

Ernie - any relationship to Edwin (Eddy) Armstrong ... he'd be 65 now and had ginger hair as a lad?  Eddy had a younger brother whose name I can't recall at the moment ... here's a photo of Armstrong the younger brother taken in 1969 (snipped from a large group snap taken in the Domino Club).

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now