Leonard Cohen RIP

Maggie/915

I loved the bit in his life when he met Marianne - her of the songs - she was on hols. with her boyfriend and took up with Mr Cohen. It was nice to see that the place in he 60's he had stayed in had been kept as he left it. When he knew she was dying a few yrs back he sent the most wonderful massage (that some might not think wonderful - but its about folk being folk) “It said, 'well Marianne it's come to this time when we are really so old and our bodies are falling apart and I think I will follow you very soon’,” to me that's I still love you and to paraphrase Kisty Mcoll - thank you for the days

A man who had an insight into all of us and could touch the soul - as a teen in the 60's he was the 'one' for all things angst but also a ray of hope and an inspiration for many years - I bore the child endlessly with his songs at the appropriate moment when she is feeling that insecure thing. A lot of folk described him as music to cut ya wrists by -- but it was more than that- and never that!!

it was a voice of reflection and hope .

If he was not religious Canny Lass then his lyrics show a different view.

His latest cd 'You want it darker' is worth a listen.

One favourite of mine is 'If it be your will' by Antony and the Johnsons.

i love his spirituality, his sense of humour and his overall humanitarian vision.

Beautiful Losers was a difficult book to read.

We were at the Sage on Friday watching Show of Hands needless to say there were tributes. Even a version of Suzanne sung with the support.

One line that keeps coming up is ' I ache in the places where I used to play'.

Another is 'I will remember/ think of you but not that often.

Pilgrim I am still working on my kids / grandkids not sure I am getting through to them all.

We were living abroad and wanted my folks to bring out Songs of Leonard Cohen.

Better than that they brought out his latest . Not appreciated at the time.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now