Footage of Netherton Colliery Village 1970 to 1973

Brilliant - hard to work out what those two main characters grew up to be - dog handlers or car body repair technicians!

Damian - I would assume you have no objection in the link to this video on your Youtube page being shared. There are a few ex Netherton residents on the Facebook groups - Bygone Bedlington & Bedlington Remembered that often ask if anyone has any old photos of colliery streets especially Plessey Street.

What streets are they in the video?

Eggy.

Hi Eggy, share the video with anyone you like. My brother and I were very young so don't remember too much about Netherton Colliery Village, but what I do recall is playing mostly around Plessey Street where we lived and thats where the footage in the back lane was took. The scene where we are climbing on the multi coloured car owned by my Dad, was at the top of 3rd Street and was where the old doctors house used to be. The old lady in the footage was Tissy, not sure if I've spelled her name right but she lived on 3rd Street, just across the back lane from our house. She was a lovely lady and like a grandma to my brother and I. On Bonfire night she cooked us both a jacket potato covered in butter, baked in one of those old ovens built into an open coal fire and tasted lovely. I believe the guy who owned the motorbike we were sitting on in the film may have had an accident and died down the pit, I don't recall his name. The ride on the Raisbeck coach was my first day at school which was in Nedderton village just up the road from Netherton Lane. Des was upset and crying in the film because he thought it was his first day at school also, we were inseparable as kids and weren't used to being apart. The second bus ride was Des's first day at school.  The picture I've attached is me and my brother Des playing in the yard when we lived at Plessey street.

damian and des 2.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Damian Robson said:

....... I believe the guy who owned the motorbike we were sitting on in the film may have had an accident and died down the pit, I don't recall his name.

Damian - between Robert Morland & Bryan Cole, on the sixtownships site, they named him as  Alan Stappard (but always called Harry!) - and had a comment :- recognised him and the bike but that would be over 40 years ago and wasn't,t really sure . He was an electrician at netherton and sadly was killed there a nice lad and motorbike daft . 

On 2016-11-09 at 21:46, Eggy1948 said:

Damian - between Robert Morland & Bryan Cole, on the sixtownships site, they named him as  Alan Stappard (but always called Harry!) - and had a comment :- recognised him and the bike but that would be over 40 years ago and wasn't,t really sure . He was an electrician at netherton and sadly was killed there a nice lad and motorbike daft . 

Spot on! Alan Stappard it was, but i can't recall him ever being called Harry.

Lovely film, damian. Brought back many memories to a 'Third streeter'.

• Like 1

Damian - Hilda Oliver commented on Bygone Bedlington :-  We lived opposite the Robson,s. We were great friends and neighbours. I was Hilda Storey before I was married and we loved them and the boys. And the amazing thing is, that,s my mam in the video. The lady in the headscarf getting on the bus is my Aunty Nellie who we all loved dearly. Thank you for sharing this video. I will treasure it.

Damian - Joan Morland posted -  Thanks for letting me see this great memories I remember Belle & Mixer as he was called & their 2 young lads as we lived in plessy street & the lad with the bike was Alan Stappard (Harry ) who was sadly killed at the pit & Mrs Storey but loved the video.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2016 at 18:54, Damian Robson said:

Thanks for the info Eggy, the video was taken between 1970 to 1973 so well over 40 yrs ago. It was one of my parents who mentioned the accident down the pit. We lived across the back lane from him so my parents would have known him well and my Dad also worked at the colliery.

On 11/12/2016 at 16:15, Canny lass said:

Spot on! Alan Stappard it was, but i can't recall him ever being called Harry.

A photo of the miners with the Netherton Colliery Banner at the 1973 Miners Picnic was posted by John Dawson on the sixtownships site and shared with the Bedlington sites.

On the Bygone Bedlington site Robert Morland made this comment :-  'The black sash on top of the banner was for a miner who had been killed . In this case 1973 it was for Alan Stappard only in his 20s lived at 2 third street tragic . . A life never lived. RIP Harry.'

Netherton colliery picnic 1973.jpg

On 13/11/2016 at 11:42, Eggy1948 said:

Damian - Hilda Oliver commented on Bygone Bedlington :-  We lived opposite the Robson,s. We were great friends and neighbours. I was Hilda Storey before I was married and we loved them and the boys. And the amazing thing is, that,s my mam in the video. The lady in the headscarf getting on the bus is my Aunty Nellie who we all loved dearly. Thank you for sharing this video. I will treasure it.

I'm pleased the video has brought back so many fond memories, feel free to download and share with everyone who wants to watch

• Like 1

I was looking at the picture of the Netherton's miners march and the person marked number 9 could be my Dad, David Robson aka Mixer?. I've shown him the pic and he can't remember for sure whether he was there that day but says, "it looks like my stance". My Dad's memory is fading with time but remember's Alan Stappard who lived across the back lane on Third Street. He described the accident in detail where Alan was working on machinery which was used to cut into the coal face and switched on prematurely before he had finished and was killed. In the picture I've added two thumbnail pictures of my Dad to compare and it could be him, I will ask him again soon to see whether if he remembers anything more.

Nethertoncollierypicnic1973withdavidrobson.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Damian Robson said:

I was looking at the picture of the Netherton's miners march and the person marked number 9 could be my Dad, David Robson aka Mixer?. I've shown him the pic and he can't remember for sure whether he was there that day but says, "it looks like my stance". My Dad's memory is fading with time but remember's Alan Stappard who lived across the back lane on Third Street. He described the accident in detail where Alan was working on machinery which was used to cut into the coal face and switched on prematurely before he had finished and was killed. In the picture I've added two thumbnail pictures of my Dad to compare and it could be him, I will ask him again soon to see whether if he remembers anything more.

Nethertoncollierypicnic1973withdavidrobson.jpg

Just now, Damian Robson said:

Damian, I was very close and good friends with Mixer, I haven't seen him for years, hope he's well and tell him Foxy is asking after him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/11/2016 at 21:22, John Fox (foxy) said:

Damian, I was very close and good friends with Mixer, I haven't seen him for years, hope he's well and tell him Foxy is asking after him.

My Dad is doing ok, his memory isn't quite what it used to be though, I will mention that Foxy is asking after him when I see him next.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Yes that's Raymond on the left, I think Arthur Brodie is on the right.

Only seeing this on a tablet so can't be sure about the band members playing but it's definitely W (Billy) Hamilton in the middle & conducting. I think I see Joe Grant and one of the Cuthbertsons there too.

Screenshot_2017-05-24-13-52-38.png

Screenshot_2017-05-24-13-53-07.png

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now