WBTC newsletter

14 hours ago, moe19 said:

Actually Macome I don't know if I mentioned but I run my own business have done for many years and I still work hands on seven days a week 364 days of the  year (i close on Christmas day )  so my armchair is something I don't get much opportunity to sit in, but I will continue to  debate and communicate with you and anyone else who is supposed to represent the  interests of me and mine,   A strong opposition is vital to a healthy democracy. Malcome, you need to learn how to take criticism without  resorting ill tempered and somewhat  sarcastic retorts.      

I think what Malcolm means, Moe, is that while he holds down a job, is a very active chair of WBTC, and covers a number of other voluntary positions, it's easy for us (note I include myself here) to criticise in the digital world, most likely without full knowledge of the facts. After all, it is easy to write a few sentences, and press a 'send' button. You clearly have strong views on the state of things, as do I, but perhaps we're a little bit guilty of not getting as involved as we could? For the record, I also run my own business. I am, from now, going to make it a commitment to attend the council meetings; after all, at least that way I can see who is doing their bit. I also think that many people over-estimate just what the Town Council can do; I, for one, have seen a definite improvement in the way the town looks in the past year or two; even it is simple things such as the railings at the roundabout being painted in the WBTC green and gold colours, as are the new bins and bus stops. This sort of thing DOES make a difference; if a place looks awful, if feels awful. I also have to commend the Bedlington in Bloom team for the superb planters, which also add colour and life to the town. Perhaps, rather than continuing to comment on what we don't agree with, we could choose something to congratulate Malcolm and his team for? There's plenty, in addition to that mentioned above.

Just now, mercuryg said:

Perhaps, rather than continuing to comment on what we don't agree with, we could choose something to congratulate Malcolm and his team for? There's plenty, in addition to that mentioned above.

While I commend you for your support to your friends efforts I must remind you that my disagreement with him is  to the resiting of the Trotter monument and spending money purely for the sake of spending money, and on that I  can never agree with. 

• Like 1

Just now, moe19 said:

While I commend you for your support to your friends efforts I must remind you that my disagreement with him is  to the resiting of the Trotter monument and spending money purely for the sake of spending money, and on that I  can never agree with. 

Thanks. I'm not supporting him merely as a friend, but as a tireless supporter of the town, of improvements to the town, and of the people who live and work in the town. Malcolm has made his point quite clearly about the little or no cost involved in moving the monument; I'm sure he knows more about it than I do, after all. Also, he's explained that it's not a case of spending money for the sake of it; It's about providing a more impressive and relevant Gateway feature at a point where four roads converge. The fact the current one - the St Cuthberts Cross flower bed (did you know they were arranged thus, by the way? I didn't!) can only be viewed from the air is surely a point to consider? The monument would be a fitting sight for people entering the town, in a prominent position. Of course, we're all entitled to our opinion, and yours remains as valid as mine.

Just now, mercuryg said:

the St Cuthberts Cross flower bed (did you know they were arranged thus, by the way? I didn't!) can only be viewed from the air is surely a point to consider? The monument would be a fitting sight for people entering the town, in a prominent position. Of course, we're all entitled to our opinion, and yours remains as valid as mine.

I actually seen the roundabout from above once (its a long story for another time maybe ) and it looked like a swastika :lol:

I thank you for respecting my opinion as I do yours , the world would be a happier place if we all did just that .

• Like 1

I too respect your opinion mo but it still seems you have this thing where we are looking to spend your money on vanity projects?  

Its my money too and nothing could be further from the truth.

In fact if you take a look at the reformation WBTC has gone through over the last two years you will see that financial propriety has been uppermost in that restructuring.  

I am from Bedlington and do not consider myself to be from West or East Bedlington only Bedlington. The Trotter Memorial, St Cuthberts Church, Daniel Gooch are related to the history of Bedlington as are the Market Cross and Bedlington Ironworks. 

There appears to be a dispute over the relocation of the memorial monument and for what it is worth my view is that nobody would know what it is if it was moved to the centre of a busy roundabout. I therefore agree with the view of Moe19 and Newbedders. 

Should such a move be considered, debated and argued over so much when we can not ensure Bedlington has an accessible public toilet for visitors to the town. I know that Malcolm is kept very busy however should his efforts be limited to the moving of monuments, painting railings and the Bedlington Terrier seats.  

Perhaps we should refer the decision to Arch or is that being cynical and negative. The vote for Brexit and Donald Trump has shaken up the powers in Whitehall and Washington however we appear to have little chance of shaking up the authorities at NCC if we residents dwell on the relocation of the Trotter Memorial Fountain.

• Like 1

All well said Bedlingtonian, but the subject of the monument has nothing to do with shaking up NCC; it's about the identity of the town. As for people not knowing what it is should it be moved, that's been covered earlier in the thread - a few displays around the roundabout, displaying the inscription on the monument and with more information would suffice, much as a Blue Plaque does the same for an otherwise non-descript building. The railings, the seats and so on are all, in my opinion at least, excellent; the town has little to offer in the way of amenities, so the least that can be done is to make it look good. The same to be said of the upcoming gateway features. As for shaking up NCC, you vote counts at the next elections, which I believe are in May. 

17 hours ago, Bedlingtonian said:

There appears to be a dispute over the relocation of the memorial monument and for what it is worth my view is that nobody would know what it is if it was moved to the centre of a busy roundabout. .

Take care  Bedlingtonian, voicing an alternative opinion is frowned upon ,

Maybe that's why no one is attending those meetings :lol:

3 hours ago, moe19 said:

Or perhaps they could be spineless and prefer to hide behind a nom de plume.? Turns out some of them don't know where they live....East ...West.. Central,  do we really need them at the meetings?

11 hours ago, moe19 said:

I don't think your opinion has in any way been frowned upon, moe. Malcolm took the time to explain the reasoning behind the proposal, after all, which I would say shows respect for your opinion.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John Fox (foxy) said:

Or perhaps they could be spineless and prefer to hide behind a nom de plume.? Turns out some of them don't know where they live....East ...West.. Central,  do we really need them at the meetings?

Well John I am most certainly not hiding behind anything I use a forum handle or as you say nom de plume just as the majority of the posters on this forum do, does that make them spineless also?

Its a shame you also resort to sarcasm when things dont go your way, I always thought you were a better man  than that.

What ever does my name or handle or the compass point of my home have to do with resiting trotters monument John ? seems  I have trod on the toes of one of the six disciples.   

• Like 2

Just now, moe19 said:

seems  I have trod on the toes of one of the six disciples.   

I thought there were 12!! Seriously, Moe, I think you're taking some comments a little seriously! And, after all, this thread was about the newsletter; why don't we all read it (again in my case) and debate something more important?

Just now, moe19 said:

Its a shame you also resort to sarcasm when things dont go your way, I always thought you were a better man  than that.

By the way, this is a little bit rich coming from someone who has resorted to many sarcastic remarks in this very thread, isn't it? Ad well as inferring that people who have, through their own efforts, done a great deal for the town 'don't know what they're doing'! 

I think I'll get a spade and a rope, and shift the monument myself to settle the issue once and for all!

Just now, mercuryg said:

I think I'll get a spade and a rope, and shift the monument myself to settle the issue once and for all!

Now if that costs nothing   I would have no objection at all. maybe John will give you a hand, and I don't mean that in a sarcastic  manner .

11 hours ago, Bedlingtonian said:

I am not one of the disciples however could anyone explain what influence WBTC has in relation to NCC and ARCH.

If you click on malcolms link to the newsletter, the very first post in this thread, and check the last page you'll see a list of the Town Council's responsibilities. 

Cheers mercuryg, the responsibilities are listed below:

• Allotments
• Bus Shelters
• Children’s Play Areas
• Grit Bins – if the County Council won’t
supply the Town Council may supply
• Litter Bins
• Public Seating
• War Memorials
• Christmas Lights
• Christmas Tree
• Notice board Provision