WBTC newsletter

15 minutes ago, Malcolm Robinson said:

"Now you ask me if I am a a resident of West Bedlington Malcome and I will tell you now that I am not, I am a resident of Bedlington Central the same area that the Trotter Memorial resides in, so the one hundred dollar question has to be what has the Trotter Memorial got to do with West Bedlington Town Council Malcome"

I'll get back about the rest when I have some time but your last sentence says it all really.

You are not a resident in West Bedlington Town Council area....................if you live in Bedlington Central especially the same area as the Trotter Memorial you do live in the West Bedlington Council area and that monument is certainly within our remit as its slap bang in the middle of our patch!   Send your hundred dollars to the "Jail Hillary" campaign.  

Well Malcome I live behind the Blue Bell pub and I had no idea that was part of the west end of Bedlington maybe I need to buy a new compass mine must be broken.I never knew front street was in the west end. I think that fact will surprise a few residents. 

I look forward to hearing your reply to the rest of my post when you are not so busy and are in a better mood.

I will leave the hounding of Mrs Clinton to those have some understanding of what they  are a actually taking about as I am just a simple working class  chap who knows nothing 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mercuryg said:

I'm sure the street sign opposite the Lion says 'front street west'?

It does its the west end of front street, not the west end of Bedlington  same as Millfield North is in the east end  of Bedlington., but I am sure you knew that :lol:

The Grapes address is 68 Front street west and it is most certainly not  in the west end off town

By such reasoning  North Ridge would not be in the west end, Shields road would be near  Tynemouth and Bells place would be on top of St Cuthberts Church 

The West end of Bedlington starts from the Wharton arms always has and always will, but I am sure your moral support will be appreciated

Edited by moe19
  • Like 1

I like the idea of the monument being more visible .

The Roundabout could do just that and make people curious about Bedlington and Trotter. Not trot of to Ashington or Cramlington.

When it was first  in place I doubt people argued about East West or Central.

Today Bedlington needs positive thinking and action.

Afterall East West homes best

34 minutes ago, Maggie/915 said:

I like the idea of the monument being more visible .

Spot on Maggie me to, stuck in the middle of the roundabout who on earth could walk up to it and look at it . maybe the WBTC could get  some of them big telescopes that you see on the seafront ya stick a shilling in to get a couple of minutes looking at the monument     :lol: they could use the revenue from them to open the lavies .

The Trotter Memorial on the roundabout could work.

It would be safe and visible .

Then people local and visitors may be curious and start to ask questions. Can anyone think of a better way to preserve the memory of this local hero.

Access to be allowed on a Bedlington Heritage Day , say in June /July with a brass band playing and marching down the Main Street to Atlee Park. Folk music by the Unthanks, Jez Lowe and the Pitmen Poets. A true celebration of Bedlington East West and Central (plus all the Shire) Now where are those three rings to bind all to our heritage initiative.

So much of our history is not visible .

NOW all we need is a town centre.

The Word the new library at South Shields shows what can be done.

We have so much to celebrate /remember in Bedlington.

An Ellen Mitchell room with all aspects of our history on display. The Bedlington Banners providing a reason to be proud of the brave men who worked and lost their lives in the mines. A little or lot about Ken Russell  and his filming in Bedlington. Not to mention Cuthbert, Daniel Gooch, The Old Iron Works, and so many more history stories.

One story could be the history of the Shire , the link with Durham then becoming Wansbeck and then NCC . ( no negative thoughts)

Sadly it is only Weatherspoon's where our history is accounted for in displays and pictures.

As the older children said about regeneration 'Something anything is better than nothing' .

What we need to hear is 'money is no object'.

Deeds not Words.

No negativity allowed anytime anywhere.

Bedlington will rise again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maggie/915 said:

Access to be allowed on a Bedlington Heritage Day , say in June /July with a brass band playing and marching down the Main Street to Atlee Park.

Lets hope none of them marchers want ta use the lavvy  Maggie, or the band will be playing yellow river at Atlee park :lol:

• Like 1

Right back from work so I can respond:

Bayardm…..why don’t we put it all in the middle of Millfield or Westlea…….oh yes it’s called gateway features for a reason.

Mow………Your strapline is actually in the design of the lamp post banners we want up along Front Street but because of NCC’s sheer incompetence we don’t as yet have permission!  I did want them up for the Street Fair as is reported in the newsletter!  I thanked you for allowing us to use it and I still do. 

Also the costings of this memorial transfer suggestion…….you are only looking at one side of the equation! 

As for you not knowing where you live………we are clearly talking about the Council boundary not the physical geography…………..

Just now, Malcolm Robinson said:

Also the costings of this memorial transfer suggestion…….you are only looking at one side of the equation! 

Then when the estimated cost of the move is known it should be made available to Bedlington residents who should then decide if its value for money Malcome.

If no costings have been made then you are as wise as me on how much it would cost.

My point being that the monument costs us nowt at the moment so I dont see how you can claim spending money on it will save us money.

One thing I do know is that moving that monument will have no benefit on or enhance the life of  me or any other resident of Bedlington,

Of all the things that require doing in the Town moving Trotters monument   must be at the end of a very long list.

This is obviously something you and a few other are passionate about doing and good on you ,but alas  I see it as no more than a vanity project of little importance , but unfortunately I have no say in how my taxes are spent      

Edited by moe19

Where to start mow......

At the end as usual......you have every right to say how and where your taxes are spent and you should exercise that right next May!  

Putting Bedlington in the front of things instead of the back burner is the intention and with very little by way of budget or legal remit!  

Yes there are many things which need to be done in the town but 99% of them are NCC's remit, one of the main things a Town Council can do is try and promote the place with whatever they have to work with, in our case an enviable line of heritage which should be on show for any visitor or traveller passing through the Town.  

As for the costs question the savings to be made by not employing up to 6 workers every month or so to look after those grasses in the middle of the roundabout far far outweighs any costs that this project may or may not be costing!   So to answer your question I'm proposing to still spend nowt on the monument but reduce the costs of the  upkeep of the roundabout by using the monument .................. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Malcolm Robinson said:

Yes there are many things which need to be done in the town but 99% of them are NCC's remit, one of the main things a Town Council can do is try and promote the place with whatever they have to work with, in our case an enviable line of heritage which should be on show for any visitor or traveller passing through the Town.  

As for the costs question the savings to be made by not employing up to 6 workers every month or so to look after those grasses in the middle of the roundabout far far outweighs any costs that this project may or may not be costing!   So to answer your question I'm proposing to still spend nowt on the monument but reduce the costs of the  upkeep of the roundabout by using the monument .................. 

Malome Malcome Malcome .I think you are digging a deeper hole for yourself here, are you seriously telling us that the entire flower beds and grass on the large red lion roundabout would be done away with to site a monument that can be no more than a few foot square ? I very much hope not the displays on the red lion roundabout is one of the towns finest assets.

If you mean just clearing a patch in the middle of the roundabout thus  having a  three or four feet square of less ground to tend to   I doubt this would make virtually no difference to its maintenance requirements at all, and personally I would rather see those 6 workers employed goodness knows we have enough poor folk out of work .

Our Valued objects and qualities such as historic buildings and cultural traditions that have been passed down from previous generations: are something to be proud of and cherish. moving them around like chess pieces on a board will not one jot of difference make  to our heritage, would moving the market cross to a more conspicuous location   make Bedlington more  impressive to visitors ? or  how about taking the blue plaques off our listed  buildings and displaying them in more prominent place for travellers to see , I don't think so.

Personally I would have liked to have seen something done about the large number of multi coloured  steel shutters that blight the street , and the plastic windows and modern doors that seem to be appearing in growing numbers aircon units and satellite dishes and great big banners on the roundabouts, derilict bits of land that are overgrown and full of rubbish but no one seems interested in such things     

I would rather have things done and money spent for the benefit of Bedlington residents, not the occasional visitor who may be passing through on the top deck of the 400 on his or her way to buy some shoes or socks at a town that has some shops, but as you said earlier you are sick of folk complaining  about that.

I think the topic has been exhausted.                 

Edited by moe19
  • Like 2

Just now, moe19 said:

Malome Malcome Malcome .I think you are digging a deeper hole for yourself here, are you seriously telling us that the entire flower beds and grass on the large red lion roundabout would be done away with to site a monument that can be no more than a few foot square ? I very much hope not the displays on the red lion roundabout is one of the towns finest assets.

Mow, mow, mow, No they most certainly are not, even our Bedlington in Bloom group wants them abolished!  Also the fact that they are our NCC 'Gateway' feature just adds insult to injury!   

If you mean just clearing a patch in the middle of the roundabout thus  having a  three or four feet square of less ground to tend to   I doubt this would make virtually no difference to its maintenance requirements at all, and personally I would rather see those 6 workers employed goodness knows we have enough poor folk out of work .

Did I say make them unemployed..........redeployed into more productive areas would be my suggestion.  

Our Valued objects and qualities such as historic buildings and cultural traditions that have been passed down from previous generations: are something to be proud of and cherish. moving them around like chess pieces on a board will not one jot of difference make  to our heritage, would moving the market cross to a more conspicuous location   make Bedlington more  impressive to visitors ? or  how about taking the blue plaques off our listed  buildings and displaying them in more prominent place for travellers to see , I don't think so.

Of course displaying the likes of these monuments would be of interest to visitors.......they would get to see it anyway!  Also i presume you therefore disagree with the initial cultural vandalism which took place in the 70's and see the memorial moved in the first place.  What's being suggested is actually reinstating its original position.    

And don't get me started on Blue Plaques............we seem to have lost one!!!!!!!!!

Personally I would have liked to have seen something done about the large number of multi coloured  steel shutters that blight the street , and the plastic windows and modern doors that seem to be appearing in growing numbers aircon units and satellite dishes and great big banners on the roundabouts, derilict bits of land that are overgrown and full of rubbish but no one seems interested in such things    

Again mow so far out of touch its untrue.  Why not toddle over the road once a month and attend a Town Council meeting then you would know just how much effort we have put into trying to hold the NCC planners to account over their lack of interest in Bedlington and its planning guidelines!      I have been at county hall three times over the last few months fighting planning applications and incursions on behalf of residents.  Must have missed you or are you really one of these uninterested people you speak of?  

I would rather have things done and money spent for the benefit of Bedlington residents, not the occasional visitor who may be passing through on the top deck of the 400 on his or hers way to buy some shoes or socks at a town that has some shops, but as you said earlier you are sick of folk complaining  about that.

You don't need to paraphrase me mow, or take what i say out of context but you do need to do just a little research and get a basic understanding of what you are talking about.  

I think the topic has been exhausted.                 

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz................

the displays on the red lion roundabout is one of the towns finest assets.

Mow, mow, mow, No they most certainly are not, even our Bedlington in Bloom group wants them abolished!  Also the fact that they are our NCC 'Gateway' feature just adds insult to injury!   

Well Maclome I can remember the days when the red lion roundabout flower displays were magnificent to behold and often used on postcards of Bedlington, wonderful arrays of colour, I think it should be restored to its former glory,  it was one of the best displays I have seen and a credit to the Councils gardening workers.      

Did I say make them unemployed..........redeployed into more productive areas would be my suggestion.  

Well I am pleased no one will be losing wages over it so you would not be actually be saving any actual physical money then.

Of course displaying the likes of these monuments would be of interest to visitors.......they would get to see it anyway!  Also i presume you therefore disagree with the initial cultural vandalism which took place in the 70's and see the memorial moved in the first place.  What's being suggested is actually reinstating its original position.    

And don't get me started on Blue Plaques............we seem to have lost one!!!!!!!!!

I do disagree with the culture vandalism Malcome not just that of the seventies but also what is still taking place I think it was so sad to see the windows at the old Midland bank (HSBC) butchered, the front of that building was so unique, and the demolition of the old school on church lane was such a shame , it would have been nice to have seen it restored and used for something maybe a museum  but to late now.   

Again mow so far out of touch its untrue.  Why not toddle over the road once a month and attend a Town Council meeting then you would know just how much effort we have put into trying to hold the NCC planners to account over their lack of interest in Bedlington and its planning guidelines!      I have been at county hall three times over the last few months fighting planning applications and incursions on behalf of residents.  Must have missed you or are you really one of these uninterested people you speak of?  

No Malcome I have a great interest and love of the town I was born and raised in, but as you don't know me you would not know if you had attended one of your meetings or missed me at county hall as you say,but  if you are having no joy fighting the good fight then I fear that I who have need to get a basic  understanding of what I am talking about  would be of little help to you. 

I would rather have things done and money spent for the benefit of Bedlington residents, not the occasional visitor who may be passing through on the top deck of the 400 on his or hers way to buy some shoes or socks at a town that has some shops, but as you said earlier you are sick of folk complaining  about that.

You don't need to paraphrase me mow, or take what i say out of context but you do need to do just a little research and get a basic understanding of what you are talking about.  

·        We would be restoring it to its former glory that’s the point!

·        Saving would be made in ‘other’ areas.  It’s a difficult concept but with NCC cutting back on its service delivery and local councils having to increase what they charge so they can pay to keep these services,  if we can keep the services we want for no extra charge, that’s a saving to me.   Also there are enhanced service deliveries we are looking at, such as for the War Memorial maintenance and setting.  Again if there is no charge then that would be a saving to me……and residents!  Everything carries a charge these days.

·        I agree with your take on the cultural vandalism which is taking place but like I said get over to our Council meetings once a month and you will see the time and efforts we are putting into trying to head off the worst excess and even, like this project if I may say, enhance the Town’s heritage lineage even further.   

·        Its takes time and effort Mow but the system will become clear.  I know just about everyone who attends our meetings and I certainly know the people from Bedlington who stand together and  fight against daft planning dictates up at County Hall because in a very short time they understand that these days we are actually trying to do our best to represent and promote the Town. 

Make no mistake there are huge changes coming, as I said in the Newsletter, how these are dealt with will be up to the people we vote in to do that.   Irrespective of the hundreds of millions of pounds NCC seem to be able to find for the likes of Arch and their own projects, like enhancing the social and commercial  infrastructure of Ashington,  they are cutting £58M out of what are really essential local services.  How the Town and its hinterland survives is going to be up to how the likes of these cuts are managed and the ability of the people we elect. 

3 hours ago, Malcolm Robinson said:

·       

Make no mistake there are huge changes coming, . 

Aye I will believe it when they happen Malcome,

But you aint changed my opinion that wasting money on moving Trotters monument is nowt more than a vanity project and should be near the end of  the very long list of things that need doing in Bedlington .so I will pass on joining you and your mates as I would be singing from a different hymn book but thanks for the invite .

Ok Mow I'll carry on getting off my backside and trying to get things moving you carry on criticising from your armchair!  

Actually Macome I don't know if I mentioned but I run my own business have done for many years and I still work hands on seven days a week 364 days of the  year (i close on Christmas day )  so my armchair is something I don't get much opportunity to sit in, but I will continue to  debate and communicate with you and anyone else who is supposed to represent the  interests of me and mine,   A strong opposition is vital to a healthy democracy. Malcome, you need to learn how to take criticism without  resorting ill tempered and somewhat  sarcastic retorts.      

Edited by moe19

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now