WBTC newsletter

Just now, Bayardm said:

Re: Trotter Memorial. Putting it in the middle of the roundabout will make it inaccessible to those interested in seeing it in detail and reading the inscription.

How on earth could that possibly be?  It's pretty tragically sidelined now, and it used to be a prominent feature, saying to everyone "you have arrived in Bedlington and we have a significant heritage!".  Moving it was one of those late twentieth century acts of civic vandalism that we sort of got used to.

How sure are we of the precise original location, and who will determine this?

• Like 1

"How on earth could that possibly be?"

Because one cannot simply wander over to the roundabout, get up close and have a look. I'm a bit concerned you think it sidelined, also; it's at the edge of a pavement, between two public crossings. As an aside, I'm all for moving it to the roundabout; the answer to the problem would be to install simple notice boards depicting the inscription and explaining the purpose of the monument.

Or about three lecterns Merc at places where pedestrians can stop and read them.  

NB, please read the first sentence in the article.........this is testing the water!  

If we are getting so het up with being able to read the inscriptions/blue plaque then why has no one but me asked about our missing one!!!!!!!! 

Personally I'm with GGG........... for the last paragraph in the article!  

Why divint they clagg  the monument  in the car park of that  giant carbuncle on the landscape shop they are building, then folk can compare what wonderful heritage and architecture we used to have compared to the mess the Town is being turned into.   

It will take more than a few swings and illuminated Christmas puddings to  pull Bedders back from the brink.  

Edited by moe19

"Or about three lecterns Merc at places where pedestrians can stop and read them. "

Precisely what was suggested in a conversation I had in, of course, the Red Lion yesterday.

13 hours ago, mercuryg said:

"How on earth could that possibly be?"

Because one cannot simply wander over to the roundabout, get up close and have a look. I'm a bit concerned you think it sidelined, also; it's at the edge of a pavement, between two public crossings. As an aside, I'm all for moving it to the roundabout; the answer to the problem would be to install simple notice boards depicting the inscription and explaining the purpose of the monument.

"Keep off the grass" signs then?  If not I still have two legs; but maybe these days you can't do anything anywhere without ramps for electric thingies?

My first encounter with the Trott would have been punctuated with dogging the top-of-town traffic, and - if I remember rightly - it was plumbed in to the water supply for some unfathomable reason. ;)   A "grassy knoll" would have been a stonking safety feature in those non-H&S days!

I meant sidelined as far a presentation to through traffic and visitors of course!  Bedlingtonians ALWAYS knew who it was and why it was, but these days it probably needs a Bluetooth beacon so they don't have to look up from their screens? :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, threegee said:

"Keep off the grass" signs then?  If not I still have two legs; but maybe these days you can't do anything anywhere without ramps for electric thingies?

My first encounter with the Trott would have been punctuated with dogging the top-of-town traffic, and - if I remember rightly - it was plumbed in to the water supply for some unfathomable reason. ;)   A "grassy knoll" would have been a stonking safety feature in those non-H&S days!

I meant sidelined as far a presentation to through traffic and visitors of course!  Bedlingtonians ALWAYS knew who it was and why it was, but these days it probably needs a Bluetooth beacon so they don't have to look up from their screens? :)

You don't acknowledge my basic point; you can't wander onto a roundabout, it's neither allowed nor encouraged. Where it is, you can get up close and examine it. Doing so from a passing care would not be quite the same. The younger generation - well, any generation - are not born with instant knowledge as to who Dr Trotter was. 

I would say - Smack in the middle of the existing roundabout with all the info - Merc lecterns - at every entrance and exist off the roundabout and outside the Red Lion.

This is a 'non-artists' impression of the possible sites:-

Comp.jpg

I have a better idea  LEAVE IT WHERE IT IS .

Why squander more taxpayers money on something that  is unnecessary and will benefit no one ,

The monument is accessible to the minority of people who may wish to see it close up , isolating it in the middle of a busy roundabout sounds like  the most crazy idea and waste of public money ,

Why not use that cash to open the public toilets

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mercuryg said:

If I'm thinking correctly, that's NCC's remit, not WBTC.

Then why dont the WBTC take over the toilets as other town councils  have done.

Money better spent on toilets instead of squandering it playing chess with Trotters monument . 

This might sound like a daft question but as I no longer live in Bedlington can anyone tell me where the public toilets are, even the closed ones?

I was in Bedlington about four weeks ago and even the public toilets that stood in the Tesco car park oppisit the Monkey had gone. The public toilet that stood outside the Market Place Club has been gone for years, so is there any public toilets left in Bedlington?

Not at the moment. There is a block beside the car parks behind the Bluebell pub, but they are closed due to disrepair. Supposedly they are going to be renovated. There is also a block in Attlee park car park, but they again are closed possibly to be renovated. We can only cross our fingers, as well as our legs!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, moe19 said:

Then why dont the WBTC take over the toilets as other town councils  have done.

Money better spent on toilets instead of squandering it playing chess with Trotters monument . 

I'm not qualified to answer this Moe. I do, however, believe that public toilets across the county are managed by NCC. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I may add, I reckon the cost of moving the monument a few yards would amount to a lot less - a great deal less - thab putting the toilets back in action. As it stands, if you need a wee, the Red Lion welcomes you.

13 minutes ago, mercuryg said:

I'm not qualified to answer this Moe. I do, however, believe that public toilets across the county are managed by NCC. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Checking on a few Town councils they do actually manage the public toilets http://www.morpeth-tc.gov.uk/services/public-toilets/ 

As for the cost of moving the monument I am sure the red tape costs  alone would run the lavies for years ,

It sounds like another hair brained scheme from folk who know they should be doing something but not sure what that something should be

Edited by moe19

Just now, moe19 said:

Checking on a few Town councils they do actually manage the public toilets http://www.morpeth-tc.gov.uk/services/public-toilets/ 

As for the cost of moving the monument I am sure the red tape costs  alone would run the lavies for years ,

It sounds like another hair brained scheme from folk who know they should be doing something but not sure what that something should be

I stand corrected. Malcom has pointed out the suggestion of moving the monument is just that. Personally, I see his reasoning and would like it to happen, but I'm sure public opinion will determine the decision, and I am aware I'm in the minority. Perhaps I have more interest in the heritage of the town than some, or maybe give it an inflated level of importance!

Where to start……..

First moving the memorial back would actually be wise on account of us promoting the Town on the back of its heritage. 

Secondly it would actually save money if done correctly and who said our council would be paying for it? 

Thirdly it would give any visitor an immediate impression of a place proud of its heritage.

Lastly most people will pass it daily and never see it, or understand its significance, where it is. 

As for toilets………and before this subject turns into the usual can’t buy socks and nickers in Bedlington……..the toilets near the top end car parks, across the road from the library, all the pipework etc has substantial root damage and has been assessed as totally unviable to reopen, we tried!  

The next ones at the rear of the marketplace have been demolished as part of the Tesco/Arch redevelopment.  We should see an accessible public toilet on the site as part of a new library building when it gets done……if it ever gets done.  That’s obviously out of our control.

Last one down in Attlee Park we have just been trying to reopen that but the funding we had in place was taken away at the last minute and justifying the large amount of council tax needed to do the refurb is impossible when considered against usage.    

All this has been reported and discussed at Town Council meetings over the last couple of years.  

Now then Moe as far as not knowing what we are doing or doing something for the sake of it, and I’m going to presume you actually live in West Bedlington and going out further on a limb I’ll assume you have some understanding of what you are a actually taking about, I think if you take the time and read through the newsletters we have been putting out for the last 2 years you will see a defined progression, financial propriety and a determination to carry ambitious projects out on behalf of residents, all within our pretty restrictive legal remit.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Malcolm Robinson said:

……..

First moving the memorial back would actually be wise on account of us promoting the Town on the back of its heritage. 

Secondly it would actually save money if done correctly and who said our council would be paying for it? 

Thirdly it would give any visitor an immediate impression of a place proud of its heritage.

Lastly most people will pass it daily and never see it, or understand its significance, where it is. 

Now then Moe as far as not knowing what we are doing or doing something for the sake of it, and I’m going to presume you actually live in West Bedlington and going out further on a limb I’ll assume you have some understanding of what you are a actually taking about, I think if you take the time and read through the newsletters we have been putting out for the last 2 years you will see a defined progression, financial propriety and a determination to carry ambitious projects out on behalf of residents, all within our pretty restrictive legal remit.

Malcome I wonder if you could explain how moving the monument to isolation in  the middle of the roundabout so no one could get up close to it to read its scrip and examine its construction and stonework would be promoting the Town  to visitors wanting to look at it,

Or how as you say it will save us money, what money are we spending on the monument now to save ?  how can we save when we spend nowt on it .

Would moving the monument to isolation improve a visitors impression of our heritage, I dont think so Malcome. would moving Big Ben 30 feet improve the heritage of London ?     

And as for folk passing next to it on the main footpath on front street daily and as you say they never see it do you honestly think moving it to isolation on the roundabout would  make a difference to that.

Now you ask me if I am a a resident of West Bedlington Malcome and I will tell you now that I am not, I am a resident of Bedlington Central the same area that the Trotter Memorial resides in, so the one hundred dollar question has to be what has the Trotter Memorial got to do with West Bedlington Town Council Malcome .

I look forward to reading your reply .    

"Now you ask me if I am a a resident of West Bedlington Malcome and I will tell you now that I am not, I am a resident of Bedlington Central the same area that the Trotter Memorial resides in, so the one hundred dollar question has to be what has the Trotter Memorial got to do with West Bedlington Town Council Malcome"

I'll get back about the rest when I have some time but your last sentence says it all really.

You are not a resident in West Bedlington Town Council area....................if you live in Bedlington Central especially the same area as the Trotter Memorial you do live in the West Bedlington Council area and that monument is certainly within our remit as its slap bang in the middle of our patch!   Send your hundred dollars to the "Jail Hillary" campaign.  

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now