Public Toilets

Clark75

This may have been discussed before but please excuse me as I'm a Newby. 

How can the council justify having no usable public toilets in Bedlington. Before the huge amount of new houses which have popped up over the years which generate more council tax there were toilets at Red Lion, Market place and in the car parks of Tesco and also behind Blue Bell. Ashington however has toilets and is also getting yet another whole front street relaid plus sports centre and bus station whilst Bedlington folk can't even take a P**S. 

• Like 2

Well, I can post a list of the names and addresses of all the Bedlington Councillors and NNC Councillors living in Bedlington if you wish. Being the public-spirited people they are, I'm sure they won't mind you knocking on their doors to request use of their 'facilities' in the event of an emergency in the nether regions. :D

• Like 2

How much can it cost to keep a lavy open, they don't have piped music or white jacketed attendants to hold your jacket or spray you with cologne  and offer you a fresh towel in fact your lucky if they have any toilet paper. 

A lick over with a mop and a dollop of jeyes fluid the cost is a drop in the ocean when you see what is been blown on other fanciful plans costing millions.   

Edited by moe19
  • Like 4

I don't think think they would appreciate me dropping in on a Monday morning after a weekends worth of beer and an Indian curry to offload . Jokes aside though, this is a problem that needs addressed with supposedly more shops opening. 

You never know when you might unexpectedly need to use these facilities when you are out and about. But if you were to be so desperate as to relive yourself behind a wall you would be fined for urinating in public. Instead money wasted on new Street lighting in the housing estates which is dimmer than before and makes you feel more unsafe walking your dog late at night. 

• Like 1

First of all public toilets are a casualty of NCC cost cutting.  Its NCC who haver responsibility over public loos throughout the county.  

Now having said that the Town Council have asked about the one opposite the library with a view to taking it over and getting it reopened.  There are major problems with tree root damage which NCC wouldn't justify spending the money on and if they couldn't the Town Council would be facing a huge extra bill.  

As it is the Library is open for the public to use their toilets and are now being paid to do so..........

Next ones down in the old Tesco car park..........see picture thanks to Foxy.  

These are now within the Arch development site or should that be were!  

Lastly the ones down in Attlee Park, the Town Council are seeing about getting them reopened but only if its cost effective. 

Now I appreciate all the comments but  all of the above information was and is available through the Town Council and everyone can go to the monthly meeting.  Failing that all the minutes and agendas as published on the web site...... http://www.westbedlington.org.uk 

14039912_533360203531996_2282694580980639723_n.jpg

• Like 1

Very informative post. Thankyou.

So Northumberland County Council which is based in Morpeth and supposedly moving to Ashington at some point both have fully maintained public conveniences. The one in Morpeth car park over the bridge hasn't long been refurbished. My point being that Bedlington is always at the bottom of their priority list. 

Surely even the rentable Portacabin style ( not portaloo thunderboxes) be a start until they decide what to do with the old ones. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malcolm Robinson said:

As it is the Library is open for the public to use their toilets and are now being paid to do so..........

14039912_533360203531996_2282694580980639723_n.jpg

I was refused the use of the Library toilets four weeks ago, The Librarian told me they weren't for public use but I should be able to use the Health Centres Loo if they were open.

• Like 1

Foxy, if you want me to make an official complaint I will.........................

ALL LIBRARIES GET PAID TO OFFER PUBLIC USE OF THEIR LOOS!  

I think throughout the county there are now only 3 .......yes 3 public loos which are still maintained by NCC.  All 3 deemed of strategic importance... primarilly for tourists!   

Three in Morpeth Malcolm, all seem to very nice with music playing one even has pictures hanging on the walls, and they have attendants   (not white jacketed ones spraying you with cologne)

I believe the main street in Ashington also has a lavy , no surprise  in that they have everything else . Blyth also has two that I can think of again with attendants. And Cramlington also has very nice public toilets.  

Anyone who attended last weeks fair must have been peed off, literally. I know some of the publicans were by folk using the toilets and not buying nowt. 

I suppose its typical for Bedlington, we aint got as much as a  pot ta  p - - s  in .

463709199.jpg

Edited by moe19
  • Like 1

I think this is an extremely good idea! However, when I looked at the map on the 'use-our-loo' link I didn't find anything in Bedlington. Has any business joined the scheme? I was also surprised to find that most pubs shown on the map only offer this service "from November to the end of March, or Easter. whichever comes first". Bit of a shame for those of us who need to pee all year round.

All that money that went up in smoke  at Blyth, three nights of fireworks  could have provided lavies for the entire county till the end of the century.

Its about time council started getting tha priorities in order,  good at spending millions but when it comes ta spending a penny they dont want ta know .

• Like 2

16 hours ago, John Fox (foxy) said:

The Library Assistant at Bedlington has confirmed today that the Public are not allowed to use their toilets as they are   "downstairs in the staff quarters"

I will ask questions about this Foxy...............I knew they were downstairs but NCC assured me they were open to the public!  

A lot of folk will feel uncomfortable to have no option but to go to one of the bars to use a toilet especially when they have young children. Also the majority of bars don't open until 11am so if your an early shopper and at Market Place your not going to want to walk all the way to Spoons. A lot of elderly folk would struggle with the distance.

My original point being, we had plenty in the past and now the town is much bigger generating more council tax, surely we are not asking too much for a simple central toilet block. 

• Like 2

I am considering buying one of these devices this man in the video has invented, they are for sale on amazon for $4.50,

I will have to think on and remember not to use it when I am in the queue  at the post office or lying on the cooch watching corrie.

I divint na if ya can get an adaptor for ye lasses ta use it, I am a bit in the dark when it comes to ladies plumbing :unsure:

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now