Is this really a joke?

threegee

Meet our Shadow Chancellor!

Imagine for a second the reaction if someone from the right got to his feet and said this sort of thing to a public meeting concerning a Labour leader.  Yes, this time around he's talking historically, but he's still offering the proposition that assassination is an acceptable ("an act of goodness") political tool, and at some point a political activist will pick up on this.  I don't think this guy is fit to be anywhere near public office.

So are you saying that everyone, apart from yourself, is either a) not allowed an opinion b ) not allowed free speech c) Labour party members who are parents must not say anything to our children, grandchildren etc. etc. in case they turn out to be political activists e) only Labour indoctrinates children f) me mam wasn't entitled to a point of view and g)g)g)  the only time a man and woman can have simultaneous orgasms is when the judge signs the divorce papers (pinched from Woody Allen). 

And this guy, me, fit or not, wont be making any further replies on this topic. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eggy1948 said:

So are you saying that everyone, apart from yourself, is either a) not allowed an opinion b ) not allowed free speech c) Labour party members who are parents must not say anything to our children, grandchildren etc. etc. in case they turn out to be political activists e) only Labour indoctrinates children f) me mam wasn't entitled to a point of view and g)g)g)  the only time a man and woman can have simultaneous orgasms is when the judge signs the divorce papers (pinched from Woody Allen). 

I'm saying that anyone who bills assassination of our politicians as "an act of goodness" probably isn't fit for high political office - no more and no less.  That's the proposition, so if you believe he is fit then discuss freely.

To answer your questions:

a)  I'm positively trawling for other opinions here, so that's clearly untrue.
b )  Discuss the limits of "free speech".
c)  What is this anything?  Don't you accept that there are limits to what should be said to the impressionable?  We aren't talking about things which are said in private - this guy is addressing a public meeting that any nutter can attend!
d )  ???
e )  I see very little evidence that there are right wing influences at school. On the other hand maybe I've simply been to the wrong schools?
f  )  Now we are getting silly!

The open question here is "Is this really a joke?"  I don't know the answer to this, though I for one have an open mind to what others say.  Chill, and discuss rationally or ignore the topic entirely.  We can accommodate all shades of opinion here without rancour, but detachment takes a little effort on all our parts.

Speaking honestly, if I could go back in time, I too might consider the possibility of assassinating Thatcher. Like yourselves, I come from a proud mining community and Thatcher was the Devil incarnate to all my friends and family during the miner's strike. Her part in the Falklands war was also despicable.

2 hours ago, webtrekker said:

Speaking honestly, if I could go back in time, I too might consider the possibility of assassinating Thatcher. Like yourselves, I come from a proud mining community and Thatcher was the Devil incarnate to all my friends and family during the miner's strike. Her part in the Falklands war was also despicable.

You know where this leads, don't you?

Woman arrested over threats to Labour MP Naz Shah

The irony here is that Ms Shah (a Muslim, and herself temporarily suspended from the LP over alleged anti-Semitic behaviour) did a spell as a PPS to a certain John McDonnell.  If that wasn't irony enough she is being threatened by other Muslims for investigating "a so-called honour killing".  Our first glimpse of Shariah Politics?

Interesting comment on the Falklands.  You believe we should have done nothing when they were invaded?

The title of this topic is what the barman said when an Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman walked into the bar.

I like this comment:

"I see very little evidence that there are right wing influences at school. "

Thank goodness for that. I see very little political influence at all at the school my nieces attend, and that's how it should remain. I was a bit pissed off when the seven year old began switching all the lights off because she said it was killing the polar bears though. 

"Interesting comment on the Falklands.  You believe we should have done nothing when they were invaded?"

It is an interesting comment, and an interesting subject. I don't for one minute believe there was a suggestion that we should have 'done nothing', merely that going all out and killing lots of people was perhaps not the only option. Unless, that is, war is your chosen default in such a situation? The sinking of the Belgrano was, of course, an utter disgrace, and completely unnecessary. Perhaps the situation could have been otherwise resolved. All in all, a very said chain of events.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

sad indeed. I remember that the price of corned beef went through the roof!

It soon recovered, unlike the pound! 

3 hours ago, mercuryg said:

"Interesting comment on the Falklands.  You believe we should have done nothing when they were invaded?"

It is an interesting comment, and an interesting subject. I don't for one minute believe there was a suggestion that we should have 'done nothing', merely that going all out and killing lots of people was perhaps not the only option. Unless, that is, war is your chosen default in such a situation? The sinking of the Belgrano was, of course, an utter disgrace, and completely unnecessary. Perhaps the situation could have been otherwise resolved. All in all, a very said chain of events.

Oh good - the Corbyn type of war then: invite the invaders to tea?  :D

1 hour ago, mercuryg said:

It soon recovered, unlike the pound! 

What exchange rate would you like to see?  You really need to tell us instead of these silly juvenile jibes.

How about 35% overvalued like the Italian Euro?  Result: absolutely no economic growth since Italy adopted the Euro, and now mass unemployment.  If it wasn't for the 600,000 plus Italians that have been forced to flee to the economically enlightened UK to earn a crust Italy would be even further in the EUdoodoo!

19 hours ago, threegee said:

Oh good - the Corbyn type of war then: invite the invaders to tea?  :D

You believe that all out war with the loss of many, many lives was the only solution to a fracas over an eternally disputed island group? Seriously? as for the exchange rate, I like it as it is, I just like to keep reminding you how wrong you were when you said it had recovered, because it's clear being wrong really, really annoys you.

• Like 1

I don't know much at all about the Falklands, but looking at it on a map, I'd say the Argentinians had much more of a right to claim it as their own as we do.

Someone had a conversation about oil in the pub once, that I overheard, saying if oil didn't exist then most of our wars wouldn't have happened (save the 2 big ones).
He was laughed at, and told that oil wasn't even close to the reason for those wars.

Looking at 3G's comment, and the location of those islands, I'm not so sure.

From the outside, I bet British morals look very questionable. It's little tidbits like this that make me want to bury my head in the sand and sing "La La La" so I don't feel shite for being a Brit. (and becoming part of the problem, no less!)

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now