Bedlington Picnic

I did not know the picnic had been revived and had taken place last weekend, I must have missed  any advertisements  that were made. I have not heard anyone say how it went. and never  noticed the shows set up anywhere.

What kind of turnout was it as the weather was not to good, did it have a march down front street with any bands, I heard a pipe band on Sunday when I was in the garden was that part of the picnic event ? 

The news post has a story and photo. 

http://www.newspostleader.co.uk/news/local/picnic-spirit-revived-in-bedlington-1-8006517

• Like 1

Do you guys use social media at all? Or walk along the Front Street? It's been all over the Facebook pages, for example, of MAN4Bedlington, bedlington Matters, Bygone Bedlington, and indeed Bedlington Picnic for weeks. It's been heralded by large banners at the roundabout, beside the church, in Attlee Park for ages. It's had pages in the News Post Leader, and in other press. For the record, this wasn't a revival of the Miners Picnic, but a community event in that spirit, organised almost single-handedly by one of our former members - Miss/mrsVic - to showcase local businesses and organisations, and to provide a fun, free day out for all, with trade stands, entertainment, a dog show and so on. it was a great success, and is hoped to be continued.

Unfortunately this site has become a place to discuss wider political agenda and now ignores anything closer to home people of the town may actually need to know or may actually be interested in.

The fact both the picnic and the sporting facilities were not mentioned here speaks volumes about what the website now represents.

• Like 3

Perhaps we could have a politics forum to separate these out for those not interested? It's important to not suppress these discussions as these are obviously very important even though they may be polarising at times.

As always we're open to suggestions but do actually rely on the contributions of those organising events such as this. I still think there is often misunderstanding about how this site works as I do occasionally get emails for events like this which I add where I can but this is not traditional media. You do not need to ask permission, the facilities are available for everyone. The community calendar is open to all and members can even opt in to be notified when new events are added.

• Like 1

I support Andy's stance entirely.

Yes, things may have been politically motivated as of late, but the success of any forum depends upon, not only the number of members, but particularly the number of members who actually post replies and start new topics. I've noticed there have been times when no new posts were made over long periods of time. That's not good. So why don't members who are tired of all the political posts start inundating the forum with their own news, gossip and ideas, to balance the mix?

Any takers?

• Like 2

I enjoy the political and the religious banter that is posted, it certainly educates me in many things I didn't know or understand and I hope it continues, what bothers me and obviously others is the personal and rude comments! that I’m sure that the posters wouldn't make if you were all sitting together face to face! the content yes but rudeness I’m sure not.

I don’t live in Bedlington, I wasn’t brought up there and have very little to contribute but I often can, usually because my wife Doreen was born and bred there.

Just my opinion but suggest the rudeness and personal attacks be toned down and everyone will come back in and chat again.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Andy (4G) said:

Perhaps we could have a politics forum to separate these out for those not interested? It's important to not suppress these discussions as these are obviously very important even though they may be polarising at times.

That is one of the best suggestions ever made on this site. Well done!

2 hours ago, webtrekker said:

I support Andy's stance entirely.

Yes, things may have been politically motivated as of late, but the success of any forum depends upon, not only the number of members, but particularly the number of members who actually post replies and start new topics. I've noticed there have been times when no new posts were made over long periods of time. That's not good. So why don't members who are tired of all the political posts start inundating the forum with their own news, gossip and ideas, to balance the mix?

Any takers?

I'm with you on most of that Webtrekker! However, sometimes a post seems to go dead, only to be revived when a new member or a new piece of information comes along. The Bedlington tunnels is just one example. Until now, I've thought of the Bedlington tunnels as something that go between table 25 at the Red Lion and other pubs in the area. It's nice when they suddenly pop up again with a new angle.

Edited by Canny lass
darn! I spelled Wbtrekker with one k.
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, John Fox (foxy) said:

.I've tried to upload numerous pics of the picnic without success, here are some that got through the net. I'll try again after posting this reply, if nothing follows I've failed and will have to call out the GGGGGGs again !:wacko:

DSC_0495 (2)v.jpg

As usual Foxy, great pics, thanks.

• Like 2

Lovely pics Foxy1 I must get over to Bedlington for this next year. Can you book table 25 for me for the next picnic? Merc can you abandon table 36? (the one with radiator and street view) for my visit? Maggie, have you got a bed available? Anybody, have you got a bed available?

8 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

Lovely pics Foxy1 I must get over to Bedlington for this next year. Can you book table 25 for me for the next picnic? Merc can you abandon table 36? (the one with radiator and street view) for my visit? Maggie, have you got a bed available? Anybody, have you got a bed available?

I wouldn't think there'll be a problem booking table 25 and can't see a problem with the bed, however getting Merc to change his daily routine could be rather challenging!

• Like 1

Bribed with a pint? Me? Not a chance! I don't do the evil drink! You are, of course, more than welcome to join me in the window seat, where I shall enjoy a fresh lemonade and lime with you.

17 minutes ago, mercuryg said:

Bribed with a pint? Me? Not a chance! I don't do the evil drink! You are, of course, more than welcome to join me in the window seat, where I shall enjoy a fresh lemonade and lime with you.

I think you must have spelled 'lemonade' wrongly when listing your interests. How many does this 'window seat' accommodate?

5 hours ago, John Fox (foxy) said:

.I've tried to upload numerous pics of the picnic without success, here are some that got through the net. I'll try again after posting this reply, if nothing follows I've failed and will have to call out the GGGGGGs again !:wacko:

Foxy - this is just a guess. The images you have displayed in this topic have an approx size of 10 x 7 ins. and I am guessing that this size is what the system has automatically resized the uploaded image to so it can post within the posting. If I select the photo, by 'mouse-click'  the system appears to display the original uploaded image with a size of approx 60 x 40 ins !!

Could you have the size setting on your camera to 60 x 40 ins? You could try changing the size on you camera and see if this system allows you to load multiple smaller images.

Of course I could be totally on the wrong track and GGG will have an answer.

This is your photo downloaded into my system - Microsoft Digital Pro 10 - see the sizes on the left. 

Checking size.jpg

14 hours ago, Canny lass said:

I think you must have spelled 'lemonade' wrongly when listing your interests. How many does this 'window seat' accommodate?

The problem with the legendary Table 25, once my second home, is that it is now the domain of the 9am Club. Lovely blokes they are, but I can't see them relinquishing their beloved table in the daytime. Evenings, however, are another matter. As for the window seat - AKA The Office - it is variable in capacity, as tables can be drawn together. It also provides a lovely view of the Front Street and the roundabout, and offers easy access to the upstairs facilities.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now