Barrington

thompson

• 5 months later...

Another photo to add to the Barrington collection, although it`s not very big unfortunately..

Double Row, Barrington.

DoubleRowBarrington.jpg

I used to live in Double Row - number 24 (Adey) and my grandma lived in number 15 (Hutchinson)

Barrington School photograph, around 1947. Quite a small class compared with typical class numbers of to day.

I'm in the front row on the left (Edwin Adey) seems as though I have a habit of being in the front row on the left

as I was in the same position in the football team photo.

Well your on about Barnton School teachers i hope this brings your memories flooding back. Do you remember them ? lets have your stories on them please.

Barrington Village Primary School c 1959. Above is the staff. Left to right: Lillie Scott. Ann Milburn. Doreen Gorman. Margaret Topham [Head.] Milne Hunt. Ina Straker. June Rowling. Betty Blair.

I remember Mr Hunt.. He used to run the football team as well. I left this school in 1953 though. My brother Alvin may have been there in 1959

post-1032-1177058695_thumb.jpg

I was born in Office Row, No. 8, in 1953, although we lived in the next street this was my Grandmas house.

The pit was closed by then but Bedlington A and D pits were still open where my father worked.

Barrington was a series of terraces with 'semi detached' outside toilets with coalhouses on the side. Street lighting had been gas shortly before I was born according to my grandma but I never saw it. I broke my collar bone playing football in Office Row. As there were no telephones my Grandma was assigned to have a slate board outside the house for anyone to write the need for a doctor on and the doctor would call to look at it each morning then call on the sick. I remember Dr Robson from Guidepost doing this.

We used to play on the pit heaps and go collecting blackberries there when in season. We also used to go to get bullrushes from the pit ponds, something I would go mad at now if my kids did it.

There was a football field next to Office row used regularly and I have some old photos of me and some of my brothers there. There were some bigger houses at the North end of Office row got to through an opening in the wall at the bottom of the street. I think I can only remember these being derelect and used as a sort of 'camp' for melting lead from the roof etc. Perhaps these were the houses that could have had people working there. They are in the background of the attached photo but they dont look derelect.

All the gardens were big and used for growing vegetables. Nobody used their front doors.

There was a little store for groceries etc in the next street.

There was a school on the main road that turned into a glove factory years later and my mother worked there for a while.

I was friends with a girl who used to live in one of the houses at the end of Office Row... Her name was Hilda Arris.. her father was Bob, I believe.

I think the other house was occupied by a Mr Cook, who used to train the pit ponies. The building to the left in the photo was stables. Barrington school used to play their home matches on this pitch. The building behind the goalposts was the pavilion.

My dad lived in Alexander Row and his family were one of the last to move out. He used to tell me many a story from the 'Raas'. Times were hard back then but he used to say that he had spent some of the happiest times of his life at Barnton. I have enjoyed reading your postings. Thank you

I used to know quite a lot of people living in this Row as I used to deliver newspapers for Mr Ward from Scotland Gate all around Barrington.

Barrington again for you all.

Come on lets get the missing names for my personal collection of photographs. it would be nice if it got completed.

Mrs. Gorman's Class c 1959. Left to right. Back row: Stephen Bushby. Derek Williamson. Brian Woolett. Alan Cowell. Henry Hall. Leslie Tiffin. Ian Bryson. Geoffrey Douglas. Ian Collis. Middle Row: Unknown. Glenda Main. Sandra Welsh. Lynne Turnbull. Ian Carnaby. Harry Dixon. Unknown. Lorraine Cuthbertson. Yvonne Black. Sandra Taylor. Front row: Jennifer Dobson. Clara Lee. Norma Dickinson. Marlene Leightley. Mrs. Doreen Gorman. Unknown. Joan White. Elizabeth Butcher. Unknown.

With regards to the photograph. One of my relatives was Leslie Tiffin - the family moved to Bolam Place. His mother was Ethel, his father Douggie and he had a sister, Hilda. Leslie became a milkman for the Co-op. Another person who is mentioned in the photo is Brian Woolett. Well he was my next door neighbour at Terrier Close. His mother was Doris and his father was Bill. He had a brother Geoff and a sister Wendy. (PS - Looking at the photo, Leslie looks more like number 7 than number 6!)

post-2953-0-08717800-1345567198_thumb.jp

Edited by keith lockey

I hope this pic and the names will bring memories flooding back for you lot from Barnton

Its Barrington County Primary School 1957

Hope you all like it.

Get your memories online or questions and see what we can all do

A photograph taken during 1957, of Barrington County Primary School. Back Row, Left to Right: Tom Dixon, George Trench, Roy Batchelor, Derick Edgar, Billy Montgomery, Wally Jackson, Andy Fairbairn, Ernie McGeorge, Laurence Napier, Billy Cochrane, George Frazer, Josey Robson. Third Row: Susan Barrat, Wendy Scott, Yvonne Harrison, Joan Clark, Linda Short, Margaret Dixon, Sheila Craddock, Joyce Fuller, Beryl Cassforth, Lesley Anderson, Margaret Gregg, Eileen Hutton, Liz Lee. Second Row: Cathy Swan, Ann Jenkinson, Vivian Johnson, Diane Dixon, Sandra Henderson, Carol Barron, Lynn Jarvis, Margaret Neil, Carol Slater, Ada Fuller, Margaret Jenkins, Mary Baker. Front Row: Charlie Spratt, Austin Anderton, David Adey, Melvin Rutter, Russell Perry, George Chapman, Jimmy Rutter. The teacher is Mr. Hunt.

My younger brother David Adey 3rd from the left, front row.(seated)

Arkles lived doon Alexander Raa too. I think that they were the last to leave before it was pulled doon.

I remember the Arkles - the boys were both really good footballers. We used to go for a kick about and they were always there

You couldn't get the ball back once they had it. Happy times !!! Also a couple of doors away from them were the Phillipsons. Ronnie and I went to school together.

Hello Keith, Regarding photo of Mrs Gormans class I can fill in the missing names for you. The girl next to Glenda Main was Margaret Robson. John Tiffin was next to Harry Dixon. Iam sitting next to Mrs Gorman Susan Thompson thats me. Next to Elizabeth Butchart is Grace Smith. I hope it jogs your memory. We had lovely times at Barrington School.

Hello Keith, Regarding photo of Mrs Gormans class I can fill in the missing names for you. The girl next to Glenda Main was Margaret Robson. John Tiffin was next to Harry Dixon. Iam sitting next to Mrs Gorman Susan Thompson thats me. Next to Elizabeth Butchart is Grace Smith. I hope it jogs your memory. We had lovely times at Barrington School.

H doglover, sorry if I may have mislead you on the photo - it isn't mine it was posted by Johndawsononline. I was just responding to it because I had a possible relative on it and one of my old neighbours. I was a Whitley memorial kid then Woody School. But my uncle Bobby Cullen married a Barrington (Barnton) girl called Margaret. (Don't know her maiden name.) Cheers anyway.

This school photograph must have been taken in 1946/47. The catchment area for this school was Barnton, Red Row and South/North/Shop rows at the Station. Maybe there were other rows)

I have tried to add the names and also where they lived.

Location key: B= Barnton, S=Station

Bottom Row L to R: Edwin Adey, B: Turnbull, B: no name, Les Maddison, B: Ralph Lowe,B

Second Row L to R: Richardson, B: Jean Carruthers, S: sorry no names

Third Row L to R: John Williamson, S: Jim Thompson, B: George Hall, B: Billy Naisby, B: Alan Hall, B: no name: Bill Edridge,B

Forth Row L to R: no name, Joyce Neil, B:, no name, Mary Wier,B

There are lots of gaps and I also suspect some names to correct. It would be interesting to know where these people are today, all of which must be in in thier 70's.

post-2446-0-20518900-1346162190_thumb.jp

Edited by Barton Rafie

• 8 months later...

I remember Mr Hunt.. He used to run the football team as well. I left this school in 1953 though. My brother Alvin may have been there in 1959

How could anyone forget Mr. Hunt, especially the rest of the teaching staff, all female. Not that I am saying he harassed females, he just liked getting close. But the main things I remember about Mr Hunt's class were:- 1/4" graphite pencils for italic writing AND THEN HIS ARRAY OF PUNISHMENT TOOLS = bamboo canes; walking stick; 4ft blackboard ruler etc. and that enormous grin he made to the rest of the class whilst one of us bent over a desk and he took aim. It never did us any harm, that I am aware of.

• 1 month later...

Most of the pit rows at Barrington had a common loft therefore in principle one could walk along the loft and drop into another house. {Maybe the Bedlington/Choppington rows were the same}To my knowledge no one ever did, simply because the front doors were never locked. They were never locked, because there was nothing to pinch.

But I do remember one night lying in bed, when the loft cover was pushed back and Tommy, who lived a few doors way, pushed his head through. Tommy wanted to know if I had any comics to swap. We swapped comics and Tommy was off back along the loft to his home. This only happed the once, but looking back it was little crazy.

Swapping comics was a big pastime in Barrington, particular America cowboys, such as Lash LaRue and Jim Hardie, Wells Fargo Marshall. I also remember one Christmas the jigsaw puzzle of Jim Hardie. The puzzle showed Hardie was a right handed gun fighter; in fact he was left handed. Needless to say there was uproar. The jigsaw was removed, and re-issued. Just a pity I never kept the right handed puzzle!!!

Edited by Barton Rafie

Most of the pit rows at Barrington had a common loft therefore in principle one could walk along the loft and drop into another house. {Maybe the Bedlington/Choppington rows were the same}To my knowledge no one ever did, simply because the front doors were never locked. They were never locked, because there was nothing to pinch.

But I do remember one night lying in bed, when the loft cover was pushed back and Tommy, who lived a few doors way, pushed his head through. Tommy wanted to know if I had any comics to swap. We swapped comics and Tommy was off back along the loft to his home. This only happed the once, but looking back it was little crazy.

Swapping comics was a big pastime in Barrington, particular America cowboys, such as Lash LaRue and Jim Hardie, Wells Fargo Marshall. I also remember one Christmas the jigsaw puzzle of Jim Hardie. The puzzle showed Hardie was a right handed gun fighter; in fact he was left handed. Needless to say there was uproar. The jigsaw was removed, and re-issued. Just a pity I never kept the right handed puzzle!!!

That is absolutely fascinating about the common loft!!!

From a 'modernistic' point of view I don't know how anybody could feel easy knowing the whole street had access to your house via a loft. (That is no disrespect for the people in the street.) My mother and my granny used to do a door check every night and my mother used to but our bike against the door for added precaution. This was in ths fifties-sixties. I would love to know if any Bedlington terraces had the same!!

With regards to comic swaps that was something we did as kids; of course it was DC comics; Batman, Superman, The Legion of Super Heroes, etc.

Amazing story, B R.

Edited by keith lockey
  • Like 1

I remember the Arkles - the boys were both really good footballers. We used to go for a kick about and they were always there

You couldn't get the ball back once they had it. Happy times !!! Also a couple of doors away from them were the Phillipsons. Ronnie and I went to school together.

Ed - The Arkles confuse me. I can only remember an Ian Arkle, good defender, but from Bolam Place, not Barrington.

I went to Barrington CP. I was born 1948 so I can remember a few names, some younger and some older :-

Purvis (could have been Purves) - Alexander, Lynn & Alan

Rutter - Melvyn & James (Jimmy). One picture in this topic shows the Melvyn I knew (2/3 years older than me) and also names Jimmy. The Jimmy I knew was in the same year as me.

Ramsay - Robert (Bob) - every jumper he had had a hole in (me mam used to darn ours) - had an older sister but can't remember her name.

I think that lot all lived in Alexander Terrace - the one closest to the Glove facotry.

Lynne Maddison - Office row, I think.

Did the Anderton's run the Post Office?

Brian Davidson (had an older Brother but can't recall his name) - Victoria Row

In the 1949 school photo is Ralph Lowe, my wife worked with his wife, at Ronsons in the 1960s. They are still in touch and I have sent hisome of the other photo's to see if he can remember any one.

Don't hold your breath!

Ed - The Arkles confuse me. I can only remember an Ian Arkle, good defender, but from Bolam Place, not Barrington.

I went to Barrington CP. I was born 1948 so I can remember a few names, some younger and some older :-

Purvis (could have been Purves) - Alexander, Elaine & Alan

Rutter - Melvyn & James (Jimmy). One picture in this topic shows the Melvyn I knew (2/3 years older than me) and also names Jimmy. The Jimmy I knew was in the same year as me.

Ramsay - Robert (Bob) - every jumper he had had a hole in (me mam used to darn ours) - had an older sister but can't remember her name.

I think that lot all lived in Alexander Terrace - the one closest to the Glove facotry.

Lynne Maddison - Office row, I think.

Did the Anderton's run the Post Office?

Brian Davidson (or Davison had an older Brother & Sister but can't recall their names) - Victoria Row

In the 1949 school photo is Ralph Lowe, my wife worked with his wife, at Ronsons in the 1960s. They are still in touch and I have sent him some of the other photo's to see if he can remember any one.

Don't hold your breath!

Memory - just made a couple of changes to some names, to protect the innocent.

post-2446-043116000 1281698090_thumb.jpg

Hi, I hope this class photo has attached OK. Taken 1950's. Does any one know the names ?

Rafie - read the quotes and unless I missed it the kids in the photo were not named by anyone.

Check out the photo (I have shrank it a bit cos it was massive) and see if you recognise the names added, not by me, by a lad in the photo:-

post-3031-0-41034400-1372621399_thumb.pn

The lad sitting between Catherine and Jean was Alan Jarvis. I think the lad between Robin and Derek was called Turner, but I could be wrong.

About that time there was an influx of new pupils to the Barrington School from the Oval, Station. This was the result of families moving from the pit rows at Choppington to much more luxury lifestyle in the Oval.

Keith to be honest, I never venture up into the loft, but I was told the loft was common. I guess the proof was this lad, several doors away, climbed along the loft to ask for comics at out loft exit. The rows was built pre 1900, therefore I suspect building the cheapest was the objective rather than safety etc.

Thinking about the logistics of this loft stunt, I wonder how he managed to see. I would guess it must have been the summer nights, which would have given some light into the loft by the gaps/cracks of the roof. No one had any torches, and hopefully he would not have used a lighted candle or matches? The loft must have been very dusty, I wonder what his clothes was like when he returned back home. Also can you manage what other families were thinking when this lad was climbing over the top of their bedroom ceiling. Mice on prowl again!!!

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now