Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
threegee

There's absoulutely no May about it!

Recommended Posts

"Yes!  And a great day for Ukip!"

Who? Seriously, you actually think UKIP has any legs? I mean, seriously, in actual, well, seriousness? If so, wow.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mercuryg said:

"Yes!  And a great day for Ukip!"

Who? Seriously, you actually think UKIP has any legs? I mean, seriously, in actual, well, seriousness? If so, wow.

Yeah, fruitcakes and swivel-eyed loons. They'll never have any impact on UK politics, let alone achieve their objective of the UK quitting the EU against a completely united establishment.

Oh, look!  Here comes Steven! :o

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, no, you're quite right, they won't. Who is Steven?

Edited by mercuryg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016-07-08 at 11:53, threegee said:

It's now obvious that Andrea Leadsom will be our next PM.  Having a businesswoman in charge - and not a hack politico like May - has to be good for our country.

Ukippers everywhere will be happy about this as she's firmly in the Leave camp, but paradoxically it's not the best outcome for their party.  May is very easy to hate, and will inevitably do Blairite/Cameronite things, whereas Leadsom will be "patriotically pragmatic".  Anyone who puts country before political party has to agree that - like Brexit - it's the best possible outcome in a complex world!

Another "subjective" threegee observation that will be proven right on the nail! :D

Oh dear!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mercuryg said:

Well, no, you're quite right, they won't. Who is Steven?

The worst nightmare for both Labour Parties!  (Though the Corbynistas won't mind as much, as they really don't want nasty power; it means they have to come off their cloud.)

Imagine someone who sticks up for British values that there's no way they can rationally label as a racist. And, if that someone comes from a working class staunchly Labour-voting home and can't be labelled as a toff - Oh how they loved to label Nigel as a fat banker!. Then, if that someone has the clarity of thought and analytical mind of a barrister, and the experience of a real jobs in both the city and the law, it's a triple whammy for woolly-minded liberal lefties everywhere!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

Oh dear!

No "Oh dear!" about it; more like Oh bloody brilliant!

I'm utterly delighted that I didn't foresee that the Murdoch press could so very easily steal democracy from ordinary Tory Party members. They are seething mad about this in the constituency parties. There's not a shadow of doubt that Andrea would have been elected by ordinary members, and would have been tough to oppose.

This is worth a million and a half more votes to Ukip - the only truly democratic party we have.  Add in the huge number of voters that an entirely dysfunctional Labour Party is now bleeding, and four million votes was just an opening shot in the real class war.  British politics are about to move into the 21st century even earlier than I reckoned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may have misunderstood my 'Oh dear'. I was refering to your last sentence about  another  threegee observation that will be proven right on the nail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mercuryg said:

Well, no, you're quite right, they won't. Who is Steven?

For merc's benefit (and mine too, to be honest!) I believe this is the 'Steven' referred to in 3g's post ...

 

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/688439/Ukip-leadership-election-could-Steven-Woolfe-replace-Nigel-Farage-MEP-Brexit-campaigner

 

No doubt I'll be corrected if I am wrong! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, webtrekker said:

No doubt I'll be corrected if I am wrong! :D

You are not wrong, but there's no riddle either:  re-read post #6 on this thread. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canny lass said:

You may have misunderstood my 'Oh dear'. I was refering to your last sentence about  another  threegee observation that will be proven right on the nail.

I think that epitomises the differences in our thinking.  You focus on the minutiae and have a biological need to be logically correct all the time, and I see the bigger picture.

Do you have Germanic ancestry?  They are absolute masters of detail, but are alarmingly easily led... so, get all the big decisions terribly wrong!  (Hello, Mrs Merkel!)  A side-splitting and masterful parody on this was in that brilliant film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059797/

Of course this was made long before the EU, but should be compulsory viewing for EUphiles everywhere - though you might need to be a pilot to appreciate some of the subtler humour.  Maybe it's no longer fully PC, but I'd say it actually celebrates the cultural differences.

BTW it's "referring"! :D (Though I have to admit that it was the spelling checker that spotted the mistake.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I see the bigger picture."

But you didn't; you said it was 'obvious', and that you would be proven right. It wasn't obvious, and you were completely wrong. That's not seeing the bigger picture, it's seeing a mirage. 

"Imagine someone who sticks up for British values that there's no way they can rationally label as a racist"

No, I can't imagine that someone at all. Once they bang on about the immigration issue they will automatically be labelled a racist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mercuryg said:

"I see the bigger picture."

But you didn't; you said it was 'obvious', and that you would be proven right. It wasn't obvious, and you were completely wrong. That's not seeing the bigger picture, it's seeing a mirage. 

"Imagine someone who sticks up for British values that there's no way they can rationally label as a racist"

No, I can't imagine that someone at all. Once they bang on about the immigration issue they will automatically be labelled a racist.

You've even failed to comprehend what I mean by that, and interpreted that too in your "narrow" way.

It still is obvious, but I've explained that I failed to foresee the evil hand off Rupert Murdoch.  In my world people are allowed to be wrong on occasions or on details, and this doesn't automatically negate the breadth of what they say, particularly if they fess up to their mistake and provide a credible analysis of it.  Your world seems to be that of absolutes, and that doesn't map at all well to reality.  I hope you can now understand at least some of what I meant.

This leads neatly into your final paragraph: you "can't imagine" because anyone who even talks about "the immigration issue" ... "will automatically be labelled a racist".  Well I'm afraid the genie is out of the bottle, and you and your left-wing chummies can no longer shut down debate in that manner.  Other people have a right to be heard, and if this reveals the absurdity of your position, then tough!  The cruel fact is that a lot of your extremist leftie ideas can only exist in a vacuum, and no one is more aware of that than the extreme left. When leftie extremists throw a brick through Angela Eagle's office window they are of the very same "will automatically be labelled a racist" mindset.  A lot of this is to do with immaturity; but you are an adult, so what's your excuse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016-07-12 at 15:01, threegee said:

I think that epitomises the differences in our thinking.  You focus on the minutiae and have a biological need to be logically correct all the time, and I see the bigger picture.

Do you have Germanic ancestry?  They are absolute masters of detail, but are alarmingly easily led... so, get all the big decisions terribly wrong!  (Hello, Mrs Merkel!)  A side-splitting and masterful parody on this was in that brilliant film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059797/

Of course this was made long before the EU, but should be compulsory viewing for EUphiles everywhere - though you might need to be a pilot to appreciate some of the subtler humour.  Maybe it's no longer fully PC, but I'd say it actually celebrates the cultural differences.

BTW it's "referring"! :D (Though I have to admit that it was the spelling checker that spotted the mistake.)

That which epitomizes the differences in our thinking is that one of us engages our brain before putting our mouth in gear. Just look at what you’ve written. You say that I focus on the minutiae and round of your post by pointing out a wrongly spelled word. I rest my case.

You ask if I have Germanic ancestry. My surname at birth suggests that I do. Like you, I was born into a family with an Anglo-Saxon surname. We can try to convince ourselves that our surnames are Scottish in origin but both go back to Saxon. So, yes – it appears I do have Germanic background – as do you. Now we have two things in common: We are both immigrants and we both have a Germanic background.  However, the latter rather blows a hole in your assertion that “They” – those of Germanic ancestry – “ are masters of detail, but are alarmingly easily led… so, they get all the big decisions terribly wrong!” Didn’t you just argue the case for us being different?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Canny lass said:

That which epitomizes the differences in our thinking is that one of us engages our brain before putting our mouth in gear. Just look at what you’ve written. You say that I focus on the minutiae and round of your post by pointing out a wrongly spelled word. I rest my case.

You ask if I have Germanic ancestry. My surname at birth suggests that I do. Like you, I was born into a family with an Anglo-Saxon surname. We can try to convince ourselves that our surnames are Scottish in origin but both go back to Saxon. So, yes – it appears I do have Germanic background – as do you. Now we have two things in common: We are both immigrants and we both have a Germanic background.  However, the latter rather blows a hole in your assertion that “They” – those of Germanic ancestry – “ are masters of detail, but are alarmingly easily led… so, they get all the big decisions terribly wrong!” Didn’t you just argue the case for us being different?

Did you happen to notice the smiley?  It was a bit of "anglo-saxon" gentle ribbing, and no more!  I'm amazed you took it seriously, and further amazed to be explaining this right now!.

https://www.1843magazine.com/ideas/the-daily/being-german-is-no-laughing-matter

I argue the case that we should celebrate the differences and not try to conceal them or paper over them as "The European Project" tells us we must.  Do you consider the Empire Windrush people of 60 or 65 years ago immigrants; I don't think that in a modern context anyone reasonably can.  Ergo, even if a few of my forebears haven't being living here on our islands for hundreds (and in some lines thousands) of years, then by any reasonable interpretation I'm no immigrant to my nation.

Everything mechanical around us illustrates my point about Germans being masters of detail. This is not my point; its generally accepted, and Germany trades on it.  As for being easily led and making tragic major errors throughout history: I will leave the reader to decide, as there is no shortage of evidence.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"It still is obvious,"

No, it's not, and no matter how much explanation you try to put to it, it never was nor will be. You were wrong, plain and simple.

" you and your left-wing chummies"

Who said I was left wing? 

"A lot of this is to do with immaturity; but you are an adult, so what's your excuse?"

Did I say I would label them a racist? I thought you were talking about the press, not me. Of course, you know - for a fact - that what I said is correct; anyone who brings up the immigration issue (which, well, isn't really that much of an issue in the bigger scheme of things) WILL be labelled a racist.

Furthermore, I noticed earlier you going on about how expats are rejoicing this development. For the record, a mate of mine is currently visiting his parents, who live in Spain. They, and their fellow expats, are far from rejoicing. 

Canny Lass - '' and round of your post" - naughty girl, it's' round off'! I'm surprised 3G hasn't told you!

 

Edited by mercuryg
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mercuryg said:

Canny Lass - '' and round of your post" - naughty girl, it's' round off'! I'm surprised 3G hasn't told you!

Shame on me! I've rapped my own knuckles and if I do it again, I'll  escalate the punishment to serious wrist slapping.

I, personally, think it's the software that's at fault. :D

Edited by Canny lass
I actually wrote wrapped! Silly me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, threegee said:

then by any reasonable interpretation I'm no immigrant to my nation.

You may have misunderstood. I was not referring to 'our' nation but to our 'host' nation where our present migratory status is that of immigrant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Hide Adverts


×
×
  • Create New...