"Home Made" Steamed Leek-Pudding!!!

Spuggy

Well done the Welsh, providing us with good British Football!!!

I'd love to have some "Home Made" Steamed Leek-Pudding,
not your "Industrial! Stuff!

Pity I Never realised, when I was young, how important it really is, to cherish, keep & perhaps enhance "Old School" recipes, we once enjoyed.

Cant beat a good old leek or onion pudding with mince and mashed tatties.

Some folk would put it in a pudding basin and steam it (took a long time unless you had a pressure cooker) but most folk made a  Clootie pudding  this meant placing the mix in a pudding cloot ( a piece of cloth materiel ) tying   it up and boiling it in water until cooked, it was rather stodgy but very filling.

I can remember grandmother would make old shirts that were beond mending in to  pudding cloots  hankies and dusters.     

Edited by moe19

2 hours ago, webtrekker said:

Agreed Spuggy, and for those with a sweet tooth, rock buns, drop scones, coconut haystacks and melting moments were things we were making every week, but not now.

Hoy you! Speak for yourself! Rock buns are compulsory in this house. Very easy to make - even for the grandchildren.

The recipe is so simple you can keep it in your head:

8 - 4 - 4 (oz)

f - m - s (alphabetical order; flour, margarine, sugar)

Multiply the recipe by four. Rub the margarine into the flour until it looks like breadcrumbs. Add the sugar. Store in a plastic box in the fridge.

When you fancy a rock bun:

Heat the oven to 425-450 (gas not sure, but the oven needs to be hot)

Place 1lb of the mixture in a bowl.

Add 4 oz of something you like - be adventurous, it doesn't always have to be currants!

Add one egg and two tablespoons of milk and mix until 'claggy'. 

Place 12 heaps on a baking tray

Sprinkle with sugar

Bake for 12-15 minutes.

They do not freeze well! They become dry very quickly so it's better to mix  and store the dry ingredients in the fridge and only bake them as you need them - without having to get your hands in a mess several times.

Edited by Canny lass

Never seen it ready made but you could just buy a packet of ready-made dumpling mix, then all you need to do is add the water to make the dough and add the leeks and steam

but probably just as easier to buy suet and flour.

Edited by moe19

I just remembered that one of the local fish and chip shops I think it was Mobey Dicks used to and maybe still does  sell individual leek puddings, they were individual puddings in a tinfoil sort of cup /dish they were frozen and they just popped them in the microwave for a few minutes, I never tried one so cant comment on how they tasted. I am sure George the owner who is a lovely man would tell you who supplies them.

I myself am a traditionalist and its Clootie or nowt for me 

Home made , what could be better.

My Grandchildren can be a little competitive.

With drop scones it has been known for one individual to refuse offers of money to make or part with any drop scones they personally made.

It seems you make the lot and then pour over you choice of jam cream or chocolate.

One piece of advice is not to get distracted. Then someone else can eat the lot while your not looking.

This could all be political analysis.

• Like 1

We still have an old Bero  flour cook book, its a bit  raggy and stained but it has some lovely old recipes in it that we still use.

Its got none  of your high class patisserie items its  just full of basic old fashioned cakes pies and scones etc.

I like nowt better than getting me gob  around a nice big cream horn   'oo err missus'

123.jpe

Edited by moe19

Sorry folks, my mentioning "Home Made" Steamed Leek Pudding, derived from my thoughts about the Welsh achievement, & an analogy “Welsh, Dragons, Leeks, Pudding”.

Without remorse, I say I'd still love to have some, a real super size portion with mince & mashed tatties.

I’m happy to say that my “PC” Search for "Home Made" Steamed Leek-Pudding, being connected to any form of "Industrial! Stuff! has not been found, by me.

I feel rest assured, that the “FOOD INDUSTRY” will never achieve to produce an acceptable form.

If they could, it would already be on the market.

Canny lass

I apologize for having woken up any desire for this particular form of “Comfort Food.” being conveniently available.

I have a passionate interest in “SLOW FOOD COOKING” my self. I even tried domestic science at Westridge.

Without doubt some of the best meals we have are based on “SLOW FOOD”, real comfort food, something we all appreciate.

It takes time, making sure the necessary products are on hand to be used.

Careful, planning & consideration must be exercised for the preparation & cooking.

An ultimate feeling of joy, when everything turns out right. Satisfying the individual taste of everyone, is very, very, very difficult. So much bigger the pleasure, when the mission is successfully accomplished.

Just like politics!!!

P.S.

I agree & feel happy knowing that others share the same food taste.

Two “Sweet Tooth” favorites are missing; Sherry Trifle & “Fairy Cakes”

Cup cakes, with tops cut off, dressed with “Creamed Butter Icing”. The tops cut in half & replaced a top the Icing as the “Fairy’s Wings”.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now