Sporting Facilities

My daily trip to the parents yielded fruit an old topic of conversation today...

Namely Bedlington Sporting Facilities
(Sorry Merc! I don't have any links to information for you, this is hear-say)

Mother was told of a plan to introduce plans to build somewhere around the Red House Farm area, and an upcoming information request from Bedlington residents on what they would like to see in it.
There was also rumour that this is a private venture, and not council based...

Anyone hear the same thing? or have a source for the Wikipedia moderators among you?

If you did get some kind of centre, what would you want there?

Don't think I have seen any links to info on the WBTC site on sports facilities Chris but I know I have seen a couple from Alex Wallace - East Bedlington Parish Council - about public sports facilities at the new high school at Bedlington Station.

Extract from the Northumberland County Council site is :- 

The £2m Bedlington plan includes improved facilities at the new Bedlingtonshire Community High School, currently under construction, which will be open to the public from September.
Developments include a new studio for health and fitness classes, a multi-functional 4-court sports hall for activities including badminton, basketball, netball and 5-a-side football.
The council and Active Northumberland will create a new ‘Sporting Club of Bedlington’ at the school which will become a sports centre for the town offering full facilities to the public at weekends and during school holidays. 
Funding for the developments has come from the council and sports organisations. Sport England has provided a grant of £135,000 for the new pavilion at Gallagher Park which will include new changing rooms and a kitchen. The council is contributing £300,000 to improve the facilities at the High School.

Link to that article is http://www.northumberland.gov.uk/News/2016/Feb/Leisure-boost-for-Bedlington-as-park-work-starts.aspx

ans then there is this story, from April 2015, in the Chronicle http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/work-underway-new-bedlingtonshire-community-8986935

Thought I had seen a posting, by Alex Wallace, on the Bygone Bedlington Facebook site but can't find anything in a quick search of the site.

4 hours ago, Malcolm Robinson said:

It is you Christopher here................look at "Important Posts" on the left!   

Its in the newsletter and pinned to the article.  

http://www.aprilleehistory.com/westbedlington.org.uk/

Eggy do you live in the West Parish?

Unfortunately nowhere in Bedlington Malcolm. Born in Beatty Road; moved to the airey houses at The Oval, Coquetdale Place - 1949. Various places after leaving Bedlington for London in 1969, including two spells back Back in Bedlington in the late 70s. Ended up in Cramlington in 1980. Wanted to retire into a bungalow, in Bedlington but over a period of two years (2006-8) looking couldn't find one to fit my needs in either Bedlington; Cramlington; New Hartley; Creswell; Seaton Sluice and so on and then stumbled across an estate in Seghill with loads of bungalows, and bought one. Twice a week, at least, I go to Stobhill via the Hartford Bridge route and twice a week, at least, I return to Seghill, the long route - Stobhill to Guidepost to Bedlington, just so I can drive down Front Street, Bedlington Bank to Seghill. Occasionally turning left at the Market Place and down to The Terrier (now Hatfield Close), turning to the Oval (passing where Keith L. used to live) and then out through Elenbel Avenue, onto Stead Land and then sometime down the Furnace Bank, up the Hairpin Bends and on to home. Oh and sometimes, having slowed down through Willow Bridge turn left along the Barrington Road, reminiscing of my junior school days at Barrington CP, and on to Bedlington Station weaving my way different routes to the A189 and home.  

The wife thinks I'm mad but I enjoy every journey - that sometimes includes other routes through Bedlington - Nedderton - The Hartlands etc. etc.    

Or the simple answer - No.  

Er,......... 'Selective'  potholes have been fixed. :D

Anyway, it's not just the craters, it's those mountainous speed bumps too,  with the sharp edges and deep valley's either side. Sometimes I have to put down my mobile phone and fasten my seatbelt, then hang onto the steering wheel for dear &gn=hvc*hjk...

.. life!  Sorry, another bloody bump. Grrr!  

1 hour ago, webtrekker said:

it's those mountainous speed bumps too,  with the sharp edges and deep valley's either side.

The road from the old Ridge Farm to Red House Farm is terrible for this. Nearly had me off my bike a few times.
Can't decide if its better to go over the hump or into the depths of the 'tween!

Yes, it's particularly bad along there Chris and I feel sorry for the pedestrians at times when cars can't decide whether to take the left-hand hump or the middle-hump and suddenly end up swerving towards the pavement. These may be classed as 'traffic-calming' measures, but they do nothing for the calm of the pedestrians!

I've seen the work done on the potholes and, while it's to be commended, I fail to see the logic in fixing a pothole and ignoring another one mere feet away, as has been done along the cemetery road.

Its not only that, but I totally disagree with those types of calming measures.

Those who speed up those roads have no respect for their cars, and speed humps don't bother them in the slightest. Those daft slaloms are worse again... I could discuss it for days in its own separate thread.

Total waste of time, and as per usual, only actually inconvenience those who use the roads as intended.

No, it's not, but it is the preferred media for thousands of more people than read leaflets through the door or whom visit town-specific websites.

If nothing else, its a place to start getting the word out.

After all, without facebook, how would we know our flag offends people enough to be told not to put one up???

It couldn't be simpler, Malcolm, and Chris, the Daily Mail does a good job of informing people about nonsense.

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now