EU: Supersize Me! ...

Just hearing all this talk about how the EU is now going to be turned into a Superstate (I thought it already was) has prompted me to post this little gem ...

In a letter to a friend, dated 30th April 1952, from Jean Monnet, one of the 'founding fathers' of the EU:

"Europe's nations should be guided towards a super state without their people understanding what is happening. This can be accomplished by successive steps each disguised as having an economic purpose, but which will eventually and irreversibly lead to federation." The single currency was the most important of these steps: as Monnet said, "Via money Europe could become political in five years." - Jean Monnet

So, from the year I was born, this has been planned. You've got to admire their tenacity.

48 minutes ago, webtrekker said:

Just hearing all this talk about how the EU is now going to be turned into a Superstate (I thought it already was) has prompted me to post this little gem ...

In a letter to a friend, dated 30th April 1952, from Jean Monnet, one of the 'founding fathers' of the EU:

So, from the year I was born, this has been planned. You've got to admire their tenacity.

I think you might just find that that quote is taken from Adrian Hilton's The Principality and Power of Europe, published in 1997.

I found this from the book you referenced CL:

One of the founding fathers of the EU, Jean Monnet, also a devout Roman Catholic, totally rejected the idea that Europe should consist of sovereign nations. He believed in the Catholic vision that Europe should become a federal superstate, into which all ancient nations would be fused. 'Fused' is the word he used in a communication dated 30th April 1952, and is wholly consistent with the language of the Maastricht Treaty.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now