What comes next after Brexit...

mercuryg

4 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

They would have been better teaching Greek. All politicians are speaking it these days.

Time to get ready for the old codgers Tuesday afternoon Seghill Comrades club session - 15 mins to discuss what next for Britain and the rest of the afternoon discussing Iceland's new 2 for 1 offer!  

5 minutes ago, Eggy1948 said:

Time to get ready for the old codgers Tuesday afternoon Seghill Comrades club session - 15 mins to discuss what next for Britain and the rest of the afternoon discussing Iceland's new 2 for 1 offer!  

Is that 2 Goals for 1, Eggy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eggy1948 said:

Time to get ready for the old codgers Tuesday afternoon Seghill Comrades club session - 15 mins to discuss what next for Britain and...

...then decide to vote for the opposite of what's best?  ;)

6 hours ago, threegee said:

...then decide to vote for the opposite of what's best?  ;)

Isn't that what 52% of 72% of the country just did?

3 hours ago, mercuryg said:

Isn't that what 52% of 72% of the country just did?

‘Whatever the inflamed ambitions of the German Führer may be, he will undoubtedly learn, as other great enemies of freedom have learned before, that no empire, no dominion, can be soundly established upon a basis of broken promises or dishonoured agreements.’  -- Robert Menzies, 1939

Seems like you need to join the Liberal we're-anything-but Democrats Merc - they'll be campaigning for us to join the Fourth Reich quite soon. :)

• Like 1

Well, no, isn't Brexit currently being proven to have been founded on broken promises? To be absolutely honest, I find the entire thing utterly embarrassing, and to take a leaf out of your own book and speak more than frankly, so should you. Do you actually think this shambling bunch of so called politicians are capable of running the country? Nobody knows who is doing what, when and where! It's a complete farce! The Prime Minister has taken his ball home and will no longer play; the opposition has crumbled to dust; the financial markets are in turmoil. We are a laughing stock, and rightly so. 

• Like 2

My honest opinion is that we need to get rid of the whole lot and introduce a new style of government. We've got umpteen ways these days of casting an instant vote on anything of importance, so why leave things up to these idiots, why not let the people vote on practically every issue by simply pressing whatever button is nearest them: phone, tv or computer? In other words, have NO political Parties at all.

• Like 1

I posted a reply to the above but it doesn't seem to be here: decisions of this magnitude should not be given to the population. A great proportion of them had no idea what they were actually voting for. They believed that a leave vote would mean all the immigrants - here legally, working and paying taxes - would go home, and no more would come; they believed, while it was untrue all along, that the NHS would benefit from the money we currently 'give' to the EU; they believed a lot of things that they actually knew nothing about. How many of the population actually know what the EU does? Decisions such as this should be put in the hands of people who understand the consequences.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, webtrekker said:

Sorry merc, I can't for the life of me see where our current political Parties fit into that view! :D

Nor can I; in no way was I suggesting it should be them!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mercuryg said:

I posted a reply to the above but it doesn't seem to be here: decisions of this magnitude should not be given to the population. A great proportion of them had no idea what they were actually voting for. They believed that a leave vote would mean all the immigrants - here legally, working and paying taxes - would go home, and no more would come; they believed, while it was untrue all along, that the NHS would benefit from the money we currently 'give' to the EU; they believed a lot of things that they actually knew nothing about. How many of the population actually know what the EU does? Decisions such as this should be put in the hands of people who understand the consequences.

How pathetically elitist!  Yes, you really should be in the Liberal anything-but Democrats.

Everyone makes mistakes (yes, even people who think they "understand the consequences"), but a lot of those mistakes cancel.  The main thing is that the people have the opportunity to correct those mistakes, and your elites make damn sure that they don't get that opportunity when it doesn't suit them - actually most of the time!

There are likely far more people who were influenced by project fear than believed that legal immigrants would be sent home.  And, even if there are significant numbers of people who believed that, are you telling me that they'd not prefer a points based system with strict caps to what we've had in recent decades?  On the other hand do you think the large number of people influenced by your elite's baseless scare stories wouldn't change their vote a few months or years down the line when it's clear to all just how risible that narrative is?

The NHS will benefit for being out, and in more ways than a proportion of our EU budget contributions.  The argument now is the scale of that sum, not that the veracity of the principal.  The fact that the population doesn't really know what the EU does stems from it's own stealth strategies, and its anti-democratic nature.  The people have made the right choice, as will become very clear to all.  Your elites have been pursuing their own agenda, and not that of the people.  I'm sorry you can't see that.

• Like 3

My elite? Again, how arrogant, and ignorant, and if that is as you seem to believe permitted, when will you realise how horribly wrong you are? You won't, of course, because you'd never have the guts to admit it! Leaving the EU is a huge economic mistake. Anyone with half a brain knows that. As for branding me liberal whatever, my politics are decisively left wing, but with a touch of education and intelligence.

• Like 1

VERY warm reception in Brussels from EU chief after her Brexit talks - but Spain vows to veto Scottish membership before negotiations can even begin. 

That's from MailOnline. Sturgeon is about to find out exactly why she's beating her head against a wall due to this right of veto, and exactly why Leavers wanted OUT! 

4 hours ago, mercuryg said:

My elite? Again, how arrogant, and ignorant, and if that is as you seem to believe permitted, when will you realise how horribly wrong you are? You won't, of course, because you'd never have the guts to admit it! Leaving the EU is a huge economic mistake. Anyone with half a brain knows that. As for branding me liberal whatever, my politics are decisively left wing, but with a touch of education and intelligence.

Oh yes, I'm arrogant, and ignorant, and have "half a brain", and what were the other things you've labelled me with recently?

Education isn't wisdom; in fact these days it's often quite the reverse.  Your looking down on voters because they don't ascribe to your own blinkered mindset is the epitome of elitism!  I'm most certainly not "branding" you as a liberal,  the LD's are anything but liberal, and they are anything but democrats too. If you had an ounce of the "intelligence" you profess I wouldn't need to explain that to you.

We will prosper outside the EU, every business person I respect is of that opinion, and my own long business experience accords. What successful business enterprise have you ever controlled? The wet behind the ears kids have an excuse, but you have known a Britain that isn't constrained by the World's largest trade cartel, and a putative super-state that is hostage to the German guilt complex - so, what's your excuse for terminal naivety?

1 hour ago, webtrekker said:

That's from MailOnline. Sturgeon is about to find out exactly why she's beating her head against a wall due to this right of veto, and exactly why Leavers wanted OUT! 

Sturgeon can't even carry her own grossly over-represented little party.  I was chatting to a SNP member the other night who'd voted out, and told me he wasn't an exception by any means.  She's fuelled by the cross-generational hatred and envy of the English, and greed for more of the UK cake.

The UK should just give Scotland a free pass to check in our out of the UK whenever it wants, on condition it abandons the pound, UK funding, and the Barnett formula every time it checks out, and only joins on the same terms as other UK citizens when it checks in again. The border would remain open unless it was being abused by non-Scottish nationals, or illegal imports; at which point Scotland would be required to pay all the otherwise unnecessary ongoing policing costs. That would kill the fishy people's political ambitions stone dead, because the very fact that the UK was prepared to freely grant this would mean that the Scots would reject it out of hand.

"our looking down on voters because they don't ascribe to your own blinkered mindset is the epitome of elitism! "

But you do exactly the same. 

"We will prosper outside the EU, every business person I respect is of that opinion,"

Suffice to say, many I have spoken too are of the opposite opinion. Not all, I might add, but certainly the majority.

" What successful business enterprise have you ever controlled?"

Quite a few, as it happens; one in my twenties, which sold to a bigger rival, and was a manufacturing operation; I've managed businesses at high levels, again in manufacturing; and I now run a successful service. I have a business degree, am a qualified accountant, and have a wide range of experience. 

"so, what's your excuse for terminal naivety?"

See the first point.

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now