What comes next after Brexit...

mercuryg

Just had a brainwave; since we've voted to leave the EU, can we now have a referendum on whether we should leave the World? Then we could just be invisible; nobody would know Britain was here. It would be total class. We could do what we wanted, when we wanted, because we would no longer be here. Who's in?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mercuryg said:

Just had a brainwave; since we've voted to leave the EU, can we now have a referendum on whether we should leave the World? Then we could just be invisible; nobody would know Britain was here. It would be total class. We could do what we wanted, when we wanted, because we would no longer be here. Who's in?

wish.png

I'm not liking this little snippet taken from a BBC article obout funding for Science now that we are leaving the EU ...

To maintain access to the EU stream, Britain will likely now have to get itself some kind of "associated country" status, similar to the positions held by other non-EU countries such as Norway, Switzerland and Israel.

Associated countries pay a GDP membership fee to "join the club", after which, in principle, their scientists can bid for support in the same way as those from full EU member states.

But the exact arrangements will need to be worked out, and are going to depend on wider economic and political factors.

Switzerland, for example, only has "partial" associated status currently because it is not allowing Croatian citizens free access to its labour market.

And having free movement to work collaboratively is central to the way modern science is done.

If that's the price we have to pay then I'd say 'Stuff Science!'

• Like 1

19 hours ago, threegee said:

I think the point of the referendum was that we join the world again.

That ones old hat now; this one allows us to embark on a new era of intergalactic free movement. Imagine: our currency might once again be worth something!

• Like 1

That ones old hat now; this one allows us to embark on a new era of intergalactic free movement. Imagine: our currency might once again be worth something!

The chancellor has just spoken and said that he’s prepared for the unexpected.

I think someone, or a very great number of people don’t have a clue as to what’s happening.

“Imagine: our currency might once again be worth something! “

eg.:        £1 pound sterling             =             €1 Euro                 =             $1 US Dollar

That’s what I call a level playing field, everyone knows what is then necessary.

7 minutes ago, webtrekker said:

I don't know about breaking free and going intergalactic merc. Yes, the idea is fascinating and there would be distinct advantages, but the thing I think I'd miss most about planet Earth would be the OXYGEN! :D

I'm sure some of our top boffins can overcome that little problem. Even so, if we stay here, there won't be any left soon, thanks to a massive growth in the Muslim population, who will clearly breathe it all.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mercuryg said:

I'm sure some of our top boffins can overcome that little problem. Even so, if we stay here, there won't be any left soon, thanks to a massive growth in the Muslim population, who will clearly breathe it all.

Allah-Will-Provide-English-Poster-Design

2 hours ago, mercuryg said:

Free movement, now there’s a thing to strive for – or so my physiotherapist tells me – especially when it comes to knees. Free movement in the knees is invaluable in achieving all manner of things that elbows can’t do by themselves. Therefore we should all look after our knees. I’ve looked after mine but not as much as I should have done. I’ve neglected them a bit. OK, they get a bit of a going over with all this running but perhaps I could have gone the extra mile and invested in better running shoes just to show them I cared – but I have to think about my economy.  And maybe I should have listened to them when they started complaining about all the tap-dancing – at my age.

However, even though they haven’t got my whole-hearted support, and at times they’ve been treated very badly, they continue to give me some sort of strength and, dare I say it, stability. They make me ‘whole’ so to speak. And even if I can read research reports in the Daily Rant and the Weekly Moan telling me that the remainder of me can manage just fine without my knees AND that having them removed would only improve my life because the knees, having neither brains nor feeling, would continue to do their work anyway – with the added bonus that I no longer have responsibility for them - I am cautious.

Even my physio, who’s all for movement, would have me believe that they’d still be there for me and that I’d never again have to think about going up the stairs “the knees will be there for you, CL”, ”your will will be their command, CL”, “there’s no pain without gain, CL” (did he really say that?)! He carefully ignores all my questions about ‘knee-length’ shorts and dismisses all my fears of how silly I’d look without knees as ‘just scaremongering’. How, without knees, I would  be able to kneel down to comfort a crying child, resuscitate a dying human or even scrub the floor of the toilet, he does not know   but he advises me against turning to any expert, these being under the control of the brain.

All my ‘bad hair’ days, varicose veins and failing eyesight will disappear, he adds, and shows me a newspaper report which proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that my knees are to blame for these problems as well. His firm belief is that I “will once again get control” but he cannot really tell me how to acheive that if I don’t have knees.

• Like 2

... And maybe I should have listened to them when they started complaining about all the tap-dancing – at my age.

It's not knees with me CL, it's eyes. When I first skimmed over that line I thought it said lap-dancing! :D Or maybe it's my brain and not my eyes that's the problem!;)

4 hours ago, Canny lass said:

Free movement, now there’s a thing to strive for – or so my physiotherapist tells me – especially when it comes to knees. Free movement in the knees is invaluable in achieving all manner of things that elbows can’t do by themselves. Therefore we should all look after our knees. I’ve looked after mine but not as much as I should have done. I’ve neglected them a bit. OK, they get a bit of a going over with all this running but perhaps I could have gone the extra mile and invested in better running shoes just to show them I cared – but I have to think about my economy.  And maybe I should have listened to them when they started complaining about all the tap-dancing – at my age.

However, even though they haven’t got my whole-hearted support, and at times they’ve been treated very badly, they continue to give me some sort of strength and, dare I say it, stability. They make me ‘whole’ so to speak. And even if I can read research reports in the Daily Rant and the Weekly Moan telling me that the remainder of me can manage just fine without my knees AND that having them removed would only improve my life because the knees, having neither brains nor feeling, would continue to do their work anyway – with the added bonus that I no longer have responsibility for them - I am cautious.

Even my physio, who’s all for movement, would have me believe that they’d still be there for me and that I’d never again have to think about going up the stairs “the knees will be there for you, CL”, ”your will will be their command, CL”, “there’s no pain without gain, CL” (did he really say that?)! He carefully ignores all my questions about ‘knee-length’ shorts and dismisses all my fears of how silly I’d look without knees as ‘just scaremongering’. How, without knees, I would  be able to kneel down to comfort a crying child, resuscitate a dying human or even scrub the floor of the toilet, he does not know   but he advises me against turning to any expert, these being under the control of the brain.

All my ‘bad hair’ days, varicose veins and failing eyesight will disappear, he adds, and shows me a newspaper report which proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that my knees are to blame for these problems as well. His firm belief is that I “will once again get control” but he cannot really tell me how to acheive that if I don’t have knees.

If only they were still there for me! I use to tremble at the use! 

I made my stairs disappear, I bought a bungalow. Knee problem noo.

Physios are my knew friends, see them twice a week. They are all young, fit and have 'nee' bother sorting me oot.

• Like 1

For the record, I don't have free movement in one of my knees since I broke it into lots of pieces falling off a bike when in my teens. Perhaps the journey into space would help!

We are not alone, Mercuryg. Clearly the English football team have problems with their knees too. Where will it all end I ask myself. Out of Europe, out of the european cup,  ... The next hurdle will be the Eurovision song contest but maybe there'll be a referendum and we'll be able to avoid it.

18 hours ago, Eggy1948 said:

If only they were still there for me! I use to tremble at the use! 

I made my stairs disappear, I bought a bungalow. Knee problem noo.

Physios are my knew friends, see them twice a week. They are all young, fit and have 'nee' bother sorting me oot.

If only you'd been a politician, Eggy! Clearly a man who thinks outside of the box and sees other solutions to problems. There's a job going at nr.10 - interested?

They clearly do have problems with knees as they fall over an awful lot. Once we get into the intergalactic community they can learn from skilled teams such as those from Mars, Venus, Saturn, and peripheral moons such as Titan and Io, who are particularly good. As for Eurovision, I'm afraid avoiding it is out of the question; even Azerbaijan and Australia are forced to suffer it now,. 

"We are in a prolonged period of economic adjustment in the UK, we are adjusting to life outside the EU and it will not be as economically rosy as life inside the EU," he told BBC Radio 4.

We are absolutely going to have to provide fiscal security to people, we are going to have to show the country and the world that the government can live within its means.

– CHANCELLOR GEORGE OSBORNE

Asked if that meant tax rises and spending cuts, he said: "Yes, absolutely."

This is excellent news, just what the country needs! I'm so pleased to be paying more tax, and having less money spent on vital services throughout the country! It's exactly what 52% of the country voted for! Isn't it? (sorry, I meant 52% of 72% of the country).

Edited by mercuryg
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

If only you'd been a politician, Eggy! Clearly a man who thinks outside of the box and sees other solutions to problems. There's a job going at nr.10 - interested?

CV + year 6 Barrington CP School end of year report, 1960, dispatched to deputy PM - all went down hill after that year, they wouldn't let me REMAIN there and at the new school they tried to teach me skills that would help me join the rest of the world - Latin! 

Edited by Eggy1948

5 minutes ago, Canny lass said:

They would have been better teaching Greek. All politicians are speaking it these days.

Come on Canny Lass, you're an educated woman, you should know the language of politicians is Double Dutch.

• Like 1

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now